Marian Hossa

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Yep, game 1 in 2004 :nod:

Ah, a series where, after scoring 2 goals in game 1, Hossa went on to score 1 goal and 1 assist in the next 6 games as the Sens lost to the Leafs again. Truly, what a hero.

Here's a fun stat: in 96 playoff games with Chicago, Hossa has just 18 goals and a shooting percentage of 5.75%. Good thing he's there to play second fiddle to Toews and Kane, something he didn't have the luxury of in Ottawa.

Hossa demanded more money and would have pushed Ottawa right against the cap back in 2005-06. And who's to say he would have stayed after his 3 year contract was up? Sens fans need to let go.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Ooh, me! Me!

BonkTastic's Top-5 Senators Ever ("Skill Only" Edition)
1) Daniel Alfredsson
2) Alexei Yashin
3) Marian Hossa
4) Erik Karlsson
5) Jason Spezza
-------------------
6) Dany Heatley
7) Zdeno Chara
8) Wade Redden
9) Steve Duchesne
10) Radek Bonk (for obvious reasons)

By the time Karlsson is 30, he'll probably be at the top of this list, but as it is, this is it.

Fair list, but I think I would swap Havlat for Duchesne and move Chara down to 8.

After this season, Stone is next inline to make that list

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ooh, me! Me!

BonkTastic's Top-5 Senators Ever ("Skill Only" Edition)
1) Daniel Alfredsson
2) Alexei Yashin
3) Marian Hossa
4) Erik Karlsson
5) Jason Spezza
-------------------
6) Dany Heatley
7) Zdeno Chara
8) Wade Redden
9) Steve Duchesne
10) Radek Bonk (for obvious reasons)

By the time Karlsson is 30, he'll probably be at the top of this list, but as it is, this is it.

I'd put Havlat and Kovalev on that list somewhere, but solid overall.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ah, a series where, after scoring 2 goals in game 1, Hossa went on to score 1 goal and 1 assist in the next 6 games as the Sens lost to the Leafs again. Truly, what a hero.

Here's a fun stat: in 96 playoff games with Chicago, Hossa has just 18 goals and a shooting percentage of 5.75%. Good thing he's there to play second fiddle to Toews and Kane, something he didn't have the luxury of in Ottawa.

Hossa demanded more money and would have pushed Ottawa right against the cap back in 2005-06. And who's to say he would have stayed after his 3 year contract was up? Sens fans need to let go.

If we want to go down the playoff disappointment road for the Ottawa Senators it's going to be a long conversation and we can pretty much trash any Senators player we feel like with that method. 07 is the magical saving grace I suppose that doesn't make us look completely inadequate.

Are we going to blame Hossa for being absolutely mauled to the ice with a wide open net and no penalty right before Friesen scored? Or Rico Perssons idiotic boarding, or Lalimes meltdown?

Hossa was amazing with the puck, although the Hossa vs. Havlat debates were always fun too at the time.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
If we want to go down the playoff disappointment road for the Ottawa Senators it's going to be a long conversation and we can pretty much trash any Senators player we feel like with that method. 07 is the magical saving grace I suppose that doesn't make us look completely inadequate.

Are we going to blame Hossa for being absolutely mauled to the ice with a wide open net and no penalty right before Friesen scored? Or Rico Perssons idiotic boarding, or Lalimes meltdown?

Hossa was amazing with the puck, although the Hossa vs. Havlat debates were always fun too at the time.

:cry:

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

Completely agree. My real issue is, now that Hossa has Cups with Chicago where he is playing second fiddle, some Sens fans play the "what if we'd kept Hossa card" and try to imply that since he's won Cups in Chicago that it's likely he would have helped lead us to a Cup or Cups here if he'd stayed. Or that somehow the organization would definitely be in a vastly different and better place today. They also like to use hindsight to act as if they knew from day 1 that the Hossa trade was going to wind up looking bad for the Sens in the long term.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Completely agree. My real issue is, now that Hossa has Cups with Chicago where he is playing second fiddle, some Sens fans play the "what if we'd kept Hossa card" and try to imply that since he's won Cups in Chicago that it's likely he would have helped lead us to a Cup or Cups here if he'd stayed. Or that somehow the organization would definitely be in a vastly different and better place today. They also like to use hindsight to act as if they knew from day 1 that the Hossa trade was going to wind up looking bad for the Sens in the long term.

Comes with the territory as a fan on a message board, no? I mean there is a thread that is overrun with people proposing fantasy trades, I see this as no different. I see where you're coming from, but now that Spezza and MacLean are both gone, what are people gonna do this off season on hear:sarcasm:

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

Sens fans has been playing the "what if we'd kept Hossa card" since Hossa was traded and rightfully so. They might be bringing it up more so now that he's been winning with a dynasty, but he was probably the next closest thing to Alfie in terms of fan support.

He probably doesn't win a cup if he stayed a Senator but he's still a fan favorite to this day and that says a lot.

Personally I still think the 04 lockout was the season Ottawa would have done some damage and possible win it all with Hossa, Hasek, Chara and Havlat, but then again we might have seeded against Toronto and got swept in the 1st round.

Last edited:

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Right now the Hossa-Heatley trade looks bad on the Sens part, but up until 2008, you could argue that the Senators won the trade.

The deal of Hossa and de Vries saved the Senators about $4 million when the cap was only at $39 million, and gave them a back to back 50 goal scorer in Heatley, who clearly had great chemistry with Spezza and Alfie, and gave the Sens much needed help on LW.

Ottawa needed cap relief, and while the way Muckler did it was wrong, if it wasn't Hossa traded, it most likely would've been Alfredsson out the door, and the return wouldn't have been a guy like Heatley, since at the time, it was thought that Alfie, who was 32-33 years old, would start to decline. I think Chara leaves regardless if Hossa remains in Ottawa or not, he wanted to be a captain, which Chiarelli knew and offered it to him in Boston when trying to get him to sign as a FA. Even if Alfie was dealt, a guy like Redden or Phillips would have been selected over Chara in 2005.

I'd say the trade started to look bad in 2008 or 2009, Heatley had his huge contract, and was beginning to decline rapidly, while Hossa put up a ton of points for the Penguins in the playoffs. Since going to Chicago, Hossa has remained a very solid 25 goal, 60 point player, winning three cups, while Heatley has bounced around between the Sharks, Wild, Ducks, and now AHL where he put up embarrassingly bad numbers between Norfolk and San Antonio (8 goals, 20 points in 43 games).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Right now the Hossa-Heatley trade looks bad on the Sens part, but up until 2008, you could argue that the Senators won the trade.

The deal of Hossa and de Vries saved the Senators about $4 million when the cap was only at $39 million, and gave them a back to back 50 goal scorer in Heatley, who clearly had great chemistry with Spezza and Alfie, and gave the Sens much needed help on LW.

Ottawa needed cap relief, and while the way Muckler did it was wrong, if it wasn't Hossa traded, it most likely would've been Alfredsson out the door, and the return wouldn't have been a guy like Heatley, since at the time, it was thought that Alfie, who was 32-33 years old, would start to decline. I think Chara leaves regardless if Hossa remains in Ottawa or not, he wanted to be a captain, which Chiarelli knew and offered it to him in Boston when trying to get him to sign as a FA. Even if Alfie was dealt, a guy like Redden or Phillips would have been selected over Chara in 2005.

I'd say the trade started to look bad in 2008 or 2009, Heatley had his huge contract, and was beginning to decline rapidly, while Hossa put up a ton of points for the Penguins in the playoffs. Since going to Chicago, Hossa has remained a very solid 25 goal, 60 point player, winning three cups, while Heatley has bounced around between the Sharks, Wild, Ducks, and now AHL where he put up embarrassingly bad numbers between Norfolk and San Antonio (8 goals, 20 points in 43 games).

IMO Heatley was one of the biggest reasons Ottawa made it to the cup finals.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Hosea got fortunate in landing on such a great team like Chicago but its not like he's just a passenger on that team. He really hustles out there and is consistently their best 2-way forward pretty much since the first year he went there.

He was not the main reason they won, of course, but he played a big enough part in all of their championships. I'm happy that he's had such a successful career after leaving Ottawa.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hossa was the reason I fell in love with this team. I will never forget how heartbroken I was when I found out we traded him. Even though Heatley then became my fav player.

With that being said... if we are talking about "skill" Karlsson is easily already number 1 right now ainec. The guy has matched scoring totals decades old and dominates his position offensively by huge margin. Karlsson is generational offensively and we haven't had anyone else touch that, imo. Karlsson also 3rd all-time in NHL history in assists by 21 year old.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
See to me it was the Phillips and Volchenkov pairing, even though everyone played well. And Alfie was on a whole other level.

Heatley was leading the NHL playoff scoring race through the third round, with 21 points (6G-15A). In the conference clinching game against the Sabres, Heatley had three points. His goals were down, but he was still very productive. He was all over the place in the Devils series, getting 10 points in five games.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hossa didn't have the opportunity to disappoint during his tenure with Ottawa, whether through bad performance, natural decline, hold out, asking for a trade, etc. I can't think of a blemish with him, while all our other historically big names have had some manner of controversy attached to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad