Confirmed with Link: Marek Zidlicky to Detroit for a conditional 2016 3rd round pick

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
With Lou saying what he said, better offers etc, I see the situation and I figure it is what it is. Given that we have not sold off pieces in the past, I really can't complain given that Zids apparently said only Detroit so what can Lou really do? He took what he could get rather than let him walk for nothing, something he has been criticized for in the past. Lou flat out said he was offered more so yes, Zids was worth more than a 2016 3rd but if the guy won't waive, you take what you can get and move on. I will just say I like the tone Lou has been, oddly enough, publicly portraying. He doesn't seem like he is going to stand pat and let this organization flounder. Will he be successful? Who knows but if he's trying I definitely have more optimism than pessimism.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
With Lou saying what he said, better offers etc, I see the situation and I figure it is what it is. Given that we have not sold off pieces in the past, I really can't complain given that Zids apparently said only Detroit so what can Lou really do? He took what he could get rather than let him walk for nothing, something he has been criticized for in the past. Lou flat out said he was offered more so yes, Zids was worth more than a 2016 3rd but if the guy won't waive, you take what you can get and move on. I will just say I like the tone Lou has been, oddly enough, publicly portraying. He doesn't seem like he is going to stand pat and let this organization flounder. Will he be successful? Who knows but if he's trying I definitely have more optimism than pessimism.

Agreed on all counts. Well said.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Watch lou go out and resign him next yr!

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Instead of complaining about the return I'd like to thank Zids for all he has done for the Devils!

Some of my favorite Zid moments:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
7th round picks are worthless, and 5th round picks are statistically near worthless.

Anything past the 4th round, and mathematically you're getting into keno territory.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
marginal?

He was our 5th leading scorer last year. Yes he is a liability at times on D in general but we needed him - especially with all the kids on defense. We had no idea how things were going to go back there and now that we lucked out and things look solid, we can afford to say we don't need him back.

So he's a tall midget. The point is, I wouldn't give these sort of NTC to anyone but a genuine star. It's gotten ridiculous, take a look at some of the names on this list for heaven sake.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/no_trade_list.html

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Instead of complaining about the return I'd like to thank Zids for all he has done for the Devils!

Some of my favorite Zid moments:

I miss Chico.... and hell of course Doc too. Steve is a robot and Dano sounds like he's challenging someone to a cage match.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So he's a tall midget. The point is, I wouldn't give these sort of NTC to anyone but a genuine star. It's gotten ridiculous, take a look at some of the names on this list for heaven sake.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/no_trade_list.html

Yes it has but it also means they need to be given out if you want to resign anyone anymore.

It was either the NTC or give Zids two years and maybe closer to 4 million per.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was at his very first game with the Devils. That's my last regular season game at the rock to date. Back in February 2012.

Terrible and irritating loss to the Lightning, who were VERY bad at that time.

I think this may have also been Larsson's first game back after that Subban hit.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Very fine with the deal. Let's not forget Zid had a NMC and the possibilities were limited here.

At least Lou did something, unlike a lot of times in the past in which we simply lost our players via free agency.

Good work here AFAIC.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That buzzer beater goal was awesome.

He may have been an adventure in his own end, but the guy is talented with the puck and brought us 2 very important elements. 1. Being the puck mover that we really needed on the back end. And 2, not being Kurtis Foster. :laugh:

Thanks for the good times Zids.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
7th round picks are worthless, and 5th round picks are statistically near worthless.

Anything past the 4th round, and mathematically you're getting into keno territory.
Tsn was saying that if you have to pick a 22-25 year old proven player vs a new player estimated draft pick, you should always go with the proven player. Teams like Edmonton might have to take a new look at things.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Every year a good player player comes out of the 7th Round, it is usually just 1 player but it happens every year. Sometimes you even find a Joe Pavelski.

2003 - 7th Round 205 Overall
San Jose Joe Pavelski C Waterloo Black Hawks [USHL] 625 223 251 474 238 2014-15

2004 - 7th Round 214 Overall
Chicago Troy Brouwer R Moose Jaw Warriors [WHL] 513 129 116 245 376 2014-15

2005 7 Round 230 Overall
Nashville Patric Hornqvist R Vasby (Sweden) 412 125 130 255 199 2014-15

2006 7th Round 211 Overall
Ottawa Erik Condra R Notre Dame [CCHA] 277 31 48 79 126 2014-15

2007 7th Rounnd 194 Overall
Toronto Carl Gunnarsson D Linkopings HC [SEL] 350 17 80 97 94 2014-15

2008 7th Round 186 Overall
San Jose Jason Demers D Victoriaville Tigres [QMJHL] 343 19 95 114 172 2014-15

2009 7th Round 186 Overall
Los Angeles Jordan Nolan C Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL] 174 14 10 24 164 2014-15

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zid has his flaws and gaffes but he did a lot of good stuff here with the Devils.
He's a tough guy for his stature and he was an instrumental part of our 2012 run.

Best of luck Marek and thank you for your efforts while a Devil.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Every year a good player player comes out of the 7th Round, it is usually just 1 player but it happens every year. Sometimes you even find a Joe Pavelski.
Or if you're Detriot, it just takes two years to find Datsyuk and Zetterberg in round 7 and 6. Yeah, the chances of getting something out of those rounds are low, but they are nowhere close to worthless.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Or if you're Detriot, it just takes two years to find Datsyuk and Zetterberg in round 7 and 6. Yeah, the chances of getting something out of those rounds are low, but they are nowhere close to worthless.

If Conte & crew really do their homework they should be able to find talented players in later rounds that at least have a chance.

A.Brodeur was obviously a thank you to Marty and not a legitimate pick.

The Devils have found players in late rounds through the years, just not much lately.
Mike Peluso
Alex Semak
Kevin Todd
Zelepukin
Modry
Yelle
Steve Sullivan
Willie Mitchell
Fayne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad