Confirmed with Link: Marek Zidlicky to Detroit for a conditional 2016 3rd round pick

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly I think there was at least one 2nd-rounder on the table if not more...I don't really want to know though cause there's no point. Like Lou said, he had a choice.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Finding out what we missed out on would just add to disappointment.

I can't believe I have to root for the Red Wings to make the SCF.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The good thing is I can actually pull for Zid to do well. The further his team goes, the better the deal ends up being for us.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'll be annoyed if Detroit plays Florida in the first round and people start rooting for the Panthers :P

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly I think there was at least one 2nd-rounder on the table if not more...I don't really want to know though cause there's no point. Like Lou said, he had a choice.

I doubt it was more then a 2nd. No way it was that big a cliff of a difference.

I mean who was out there offering more hypothetically?

Wings were always the best fit for Zids and I don't believe there would of been some crazy bidding war.

Best offer my guess was a third this year from a bubble team. Better yes, but even with a partial NTC most likely wasn't happening.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I meant I thought there was more than one deal involving a 2nd rounder, not that anyone was giving us a 1 or some big prospect, but I do think market value was a 2 but for obvious reasons we got squeezed by Holland and Zids' NTC.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I meant I thought there was more than one deal involving a 2nd rounder, not that anyone was giving us a 1 or some big prospect, but I do think market value was a 2 but for obvious reasons we got squeezed by Holland and Zids' NTC.

That's our perceived market value.

It might of been there but I'm not 100% certain with the way the market was overall today.

We definitely got squeezed in some capacity but again I don't know if it was that significant.

Also I take the big positive in Lou calling Zids expendable because of Severson and Lars. Means we should be done with Zids for good.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Rather them then the Rags. Have no problem rooting for them.

I'll definitely take them over the Rags but I still harbor resentment from the Devils' Cup Era where Detroit was put on a pedestal and the Devils were just given credit for being a 'very good' team...especially since we swept them head-to-head.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I look at it this way. This is more of the return Jagr should of got and Jagr's is what Zids should of got.

So it's just a wash and we got what was actual market value overall.

Florida overpaid. Detroit underpaid. =wash

And if the Wings go to the Finals, the Devils end up above market value. Rooting for a team that can help the Devils will make the playoffs a bit more interesting.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I thought we would get way more, but my guess is Zidlicky would only waive for a team in the East who was a serious contender.

MTL, TBL, DET, NYI, NYR, and Pitt. Take out the folks in our division (Lou isn't helping Pitt, NYR, or NYI win a cup). And you are left we 3 teams that Zidlicky and Lou would agree. Once TBL made their move DET probably knew it didn't have to budge to get Zidlicky.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Hopefully Lou looks to get creative this offseason and goes for buy low guys (Semin,Eriksson).

I still believe we are 2+ years before out D become impact players. No need to rush and go crazy this offseason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I look at it this way. This is more of the return Jagr should of got and Jagr's is what Zids should of got.

So it's just a wash and we got what was actual market value overall.

Florida overpaid. Detroit underpaid. =wash

I really want to look at it that way considering before the deadline I thought we were looking at a conditional three that could go up to a two for Jagr, and an actual two from Zid at least. Instead we got the conditional three for Zid and the actual two (plus another three) for Jagr.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
This is why you don't let marginal players control their destiny (re: contracts).

marginal?

He was our 5th leading scorer last year. Yes he is a liability at times on D in general but we needed him - especially with all the kids on defense. We had no idea how things were going to go back there and now that we lucked out and things look solid, we can afford to say we don't need him back.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Hopefully Lou looks to get creative this offseason and goes for buy low guys (Semin,Eriksson).

I still believe we are 2+ years before out D become impact players. No need to rush and go crazy this offseason.

I think he'll do that and try to trade for a more legitimate forward as well.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I think he'll do that and try to trade for a more legitimate forward as well.

I don't want to trade for a legitimate forward. That takes high qualiy assets and IMO zero reason for Lou to give up those assets (drafts picks young D) for a team that isn't going to be a true contender for another 2-3 years.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I don't want to trade for a legitimate forward. That takes high qualiy assets and IMO zero reason for Lou to give up those assets (drafts picks young D) for a team that isn't going to be a true contender for another 2-3 years.

I agree. It will be a 'two steps backward, one step forward' type deal unless it's a real headcase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad