TV: Mare of Easttown (HBO)

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
They did show that one moment of rage he had in the lunch room, but obviously he was defending his autistic sister so you don’t think much of it.

All in all I very much enjoyed it. I finished Chernobyl last night as well. Thank you HBO miniseries.

As soon as the "who is the real father of the baby?" question came into play, I thought of it being someone in the family. My first thought was that it was her father, which is why the "best friend" was throwing people off that track.

Then following the storyline it was "Oh it was the cousin", then "Oh it was the other cousin" which has photographic evidence to prove the relationship. I started to suspect that the kid was involved somehow after Mare's confrontation with the potential "other woman" coming out of the bathroom. That was when the "secret" they had was starting to not make sense, but it also explained why Mare's best friend was willing to lie to her, she was protecting her kid, not her cheating husband.

They had bait and switched the "who is the father" answer so many times that when the line came of "the kid who mows the lawn has access to the shed" I forgot all about the picture evidence and tried to do the math in my head, "This kid is like 14, the baby was a year old, the kid was at best 13 at the time of conception... which I guess is possible." It was interesting to look back at everyone that family was willing to sacrifice to save their son though. They were throwing everyone under the bus.

Not a spoiler, but the sister doesn't have autism, she has Down's Syndrome. I was 100% for the lunch tray beat down, that kid totally deserved it.

That's what detectives do and this show is about a detective. Obviously, murder and kidnapping cases don't come along every day, but you probably wouldn't want 7 episodes of Mare investigating genitalia spray painted on old people's sheds. Speaking of which, she never solved that crime, did she? Talk about a loose end.

Mare knows who it was. The security camera was working and she was able to watch the footage of who did the spray painting, but she deleted it instead of showing it to anyone else. I was going to go back to try to figure out who the person was, but I binged the end of the show until about 1 am. Looked around online a bit, but didn't come up with an answer.

You'd think it would be the kid that lives behind them, but why delete the footage for that kid?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Mare knows who it was. The security camera was working and she was able to watch the footage of who did the spray painting, but she deleted it instead of showing it to anyone else. I was going to go back to try to figure out who the person was, but I binged the end of the show until about 1 am. Looked around online a bit, but didn't come up with an answer.

You'd think it would be the kid that lives behind them, but why delete the footage for that kid?

I was joking, but, yeah, that's what I meant, that we didn't really learn who it was and Mare didn't bust him. It was curious that she covered it up, but I assumed at the time that the series would return to it and we'd eventually learn who and why. It seems like the scene was just an excuse to have Mare called back and learn that the security was working so that she'd know to check it again much later in the series. I guess that the writers didn't think that it was worth explaining or resolving.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was joking, but, yeah, that's what I meant, that we didn't really learn who it was and Mare didn't bust him. It was curious that she covered it up, but I assumed at the time that the series would return to it and we'd eventually learn who and why. It seems like the scene was just an excuse to have Mare called back and learn that the security was working so that she'd know to check it again much later in the series. I guess that the writers didn't think that it was worth explaining or resolving.

Wasn't it the kid at the fundraiser who kept looking at her?

Reactions: Hivemind

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wasn't it the kid at the fundraiser who kept looking at her?

It certainly could've been, but it's worth noting that he appeared to be looking at her because he was turning his head so that the person in front of him could paint the other side of his face. We were led to believe from that that she was paranoid and her suspicions of him weren't entirely founded. On the other hand, that was before the spray painting, which suggested that she maybe wasn't so paranoid, after all.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Kate Winslet was a force, just incredible.

Good show, one of the better ones in the last year.

Agree with those saying the kid living with Lori was f***ing weird. Hey buddy come meet your half-brother/cousin who also murdered you mom. Oh and here is your dad/uncle who f***ed your mom when she was 16. Yikes lol.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Only reason I can think of for why Lori got custody of the child is because parental rights would go to Erin's father (who is now in prison for assaulting/attempting to murder Dylan) and he clearly hates Dylan and wanted to keep the child "in the family" (which I suppose is a gross phrase considering this is a show about incest)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
In the real world, Lori probably doesn't end up with custody. The kid ends up in foster care.

I just think the writers like the cruel irony of Lori having to raise the child that destroyed her family.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this show...

It was nominated for an Emmy for Best Miniseries, losing to The Queen's Gambit

And 3 of its stars took home an Emmy for their performances, including Winslet who won for Best Lead Actress in a Miniseries

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I did start a thread for this awhile back, probably buried a few pages back. I was really happy to see Kate Winslet win!

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Just finished it last night...

My one complaint that I'll get out of the way was the scene where Dylan chased the girl and then pointed a gun at her face. For starters, the fact that she didn't just immediately run back into the building she had just come out of was silly, as was not trying to enter any of the many residential buildings that appeared to be all around her. And Dylan pointing the gun at her just so seemed so... forced. The whole scene just seemed contrived and out of place...

Other than that, it was one of the best shows I've seen... I was thoroughly entertained and engaged throughout

Arguably the most well-acted series I've ever watched... Winslet absolutely killed it, and her Emmy was definitely well deserved

The finale had me on the verge of tears for most it... if I'd wanted to 'let go' and have a cry, I definitely could have

So much pain and emotion in that final episode... perfectly conveyed by the cast

I texted a friend this morning and put it like this...

'I'd recommend The Queen's Gambit, but Mare Of Easttown is a must watch'

Reactions: deadinthewater

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Only four episodes in, but I find it very enjoyable. The acting performances are very good, the story is interesting, and the mix between drama and humor is pretty well balanced.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I liked it, well done for what it is. But if felt a bit derivative. These types of shows (detectives investigating a murder, typically a teenage girl) have been done many times before, so I would have preferred to see if they could have approached in a different manner, maybe without the overuse of red herrings. They did them well here, but it still felt too much like a cheap hook for me to really appreciate the show.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I liked it, well done for what it is. But if felt a bit derivative. These types of shows (detectives investigating a murder, typically a teenage girl) have been done many times before, so I would have preferred to see if they could have approached in a different manner, maybe without the overuse of red herrings. They did them well here, but it still felt too much like a cheap hook for me to really appreciate the show.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If you think this is a detective show, and not a character drama built around loss, you're viewing it the wrong way.

The detective drama is the trojan horse. The characters (and their superb actors) with their handling of grief and loss is the real content.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
If you think this is a detective show, and not a character drama built around loss, you're viewing it the wrong way.

The detective drama is the trojan horse. The characters (and their superb actors) with their handling of grief and loss is the real content.

It's both. The exploration into Winslet's character was really well done, that's why I did like the show overall. But you can't dismiss it as not also being a detective show, and ignore how unoriginal that part of it was, using the same commons tropes we've all seen before.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Just finished watching it. Excellent show and reminded me a lot of Broadchurch.

Based in part on your comparison, I just burned through the first season of Broadchurch... there are definitely a lot of similarities between the 2 shows

The Killing + Broadchurch = Mare Of Easttown

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad