TV: Mare of Easttown (HBO)

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Its getting better, homie killed homie.. no way he walks from that. Milk homie should be in cuffs.
The more in depth you get with characters the more f***ed everyone seems, but maybe her ex and fiance.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The trailer reminded me of The Killing... right down to the redheaded detective

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I knew I'd watch this and heard it was good, but it's exceeded my expectations so far. Very good series thus far.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Such an amateur move by Mare in the latest episode. I mean, really. I understand her fear and desperation but wow. And does anyone feel like the detective is hiding something about the case he cracked?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Such an amateur move by Mare in the latest episode. I mean, really. I understand her fear and desperation but wow. And does anyone feel like the detective is hiding something about the case he cracked?

Really enjoying the show a lot so far but yeah that was really amateur ish. Hoping it leads to something more interesting and it’s not just really bad writing.

Had same exact vibes with that detective when it was the second time he brought up the case I think, when it was a little darker.

Reactions: deadinthewater

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Best current season on TV right now. They really do nail the feel of Delco almost perfectly.

That being said, it does kinda annoy me how every single character on the show has a depressing story of some sort. Not every single person in Delaware County has cancer, or is an addict, or is cheating, or special needs children, or has committed suicide. Some people really do have “normal” family lives.

Reactions: montreal

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Best current season on TV right now. They really do nail the feel of Delco almost perfectly.

That being said, it does kinda annoy me how every single character on the show has a depressing story of some sort. Not every single person in Delaware County has cancer, or is an addict, or is cheating, or special needs children, or has committed suicide. Some people really do have “normal” family lives.

Yeah, more to that - it feels like everyone is hiding something. I am getting a very bad vibe from the three brothers.. like they're all involved in some shady shit, maybe even what happened to the two girls held hostage at that guy's house/bar.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
All caught up now and really enjoying it. Very interested to see where these last two episodes take us and if the Erin case is related to the others.

I’ve always struggled to look at Evan Peters without hating him because of his role as Michael’s nephew in The Office, but this show finally took that punchable face away from me. So naturally they had to kill him off.

Also, I know she lost her father and son, but Mare’s a real bitch.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, Mare is a hard ass sometimes like suggested above. But god damn the shit she's went through in her life. Really gets put on display in the episode tonight, found the scenes about her suicidal son particularly hard to watch.

Sad episode on a lot of fronts. And the setup for the finale IMO looks pretty straightforward to be a classic bait and switch of who dun it.

Great show. To only be 7 episodes long and already capture so much emotional response, at least from me, is a remarkable testament to how well done the series has been.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Fantastic show. Some really impressive performances and going into the finale, it's managed to reveal a lot of information without giving away the game yet on numerous plot lines.

Well done. Can't wait for next Sunday.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
HBO's quality has really went to crap.

Yea there are a few here who like this show but they haven't produced a show with a huge following since when? Game of Thrones I guess?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
HBO's quality has really went to crap.

Yea there are a few here who like this show but they haven't produced a show with a huge following since when? Game of Thrones I guess?
Huge following doesn’t equate to quality. The Big Bang Theory and lord knows how many god awful reality tv shows had massive followings despite being utter garbage.

From my limited viewing HBO is putting out the best quality. With miniseries like this and True Detective you can’t build up an audience you would with a typical series, but the quality of actors and writing and everything that these have had is pretty phenomenal.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
John is such a master manipulator. But I am struggling to understand how Dylan ties into all of this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The most unrealistic thing about this show was the scene where people gathered to watch a Penn State basketball game on the Big Ten network. Nobody in Delco does that, and Villanova is right there.

Also the killer is obviously not Billy and is probably John, as presented. But whatever’s on that photo is apparently more important than who the killer is.

I wasnt broken up over Zabel getting killed as I had no interest in that, or anyone involved with Mare, being in a romantic angle.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been watching it an episode per night for the last week. I haven't really read or contributed to this thread, though, because I was afraid of spoilers... and, man, that looks like the right call. Have you guys heard of spoiler tags? :laugh:

The series is good and I'm enjoying it. It reminds me a little of another HBO limited series, Big Little Lies, in that it follows a bunch of interconnected families and there's a murder to piece together, though it's darker and structured more traditionally. At first, I wasn't a fan of how no one was likable and everyone seemed unhappy, but...
...some of them have redeemed themselves a little, like Katie's mom, Erin's dad and Mare's daughter-in-law. We're finally getting to see the good side of these people, not just their bad sides.

I don't know if this is a criticism or not, because we haven't conclusively learned who the murderer is yet, but I've had a hunch about it since early on that's made the series feel predictable to me:
My hunch has been that it's Richard because Guy Pearce is the 2nd-most famous actor in the series, he showed up in town around the time that Erin died, he doesn't have a reason to be in the series otherwise and he seems way too good to be true, especially when everyone else has a darker side. Admittedly, I don't know how he fits the evidence or what was revealed at the end of the last episode, but he just seems highly suspicious to me.
If it's not him, I'll be surprised, but also relieved. Anyways, we'll find out soon.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I've been watching it an episode per night for the last week. I haven't really read or contributed to this thread, though, because I was afraid of spoilers... and, man, that looks like the right call. Have you guys heard of spoiler tags? :laugh:

The series is good and I'm enjoying it. It reminds me a little of another HBO limited series, Big Little Lies, in that it follows a bunch of interconnected families and there's a murder to piece together, though it's darker and structured more traditionally. At first, I wasn't a fan of how no one was likable and everyone seemed unhappy, but...
...some of them have redeemed themselves a little, like Katie's mom, Erin's dad and Mare's daughter-in-law. We're finally getting to see the good side of these people, not just their bad sides.

I don't know if this is a criticism or not, because we haven't conclusively learned who the murderer is yet, but I've had a hunch about it since early on that's made the series feel predictable to me:
My hunch has been that it's Richard because Guy Pierce is the 2nd-most famous actor in the series, he showed up in town around the time that Erin died, he doesn't have a reason to be in the series otherwise and he seems way too good to be true, especially when everyone else has a darker side. Admittedly, I don't know how he fits the evidence or what was revealed at the end of the last episode, but he just seems highly suspicious to me.
If it's not him, I'll be surprised, but also relieved. Anyways, we'll find out soon.

Still haven't seen the 6th episode so I'm not fully caught up, but in regards to Guy Pearce:
I've read he was a late casting decision because some other actor, Ben Miles, who's certainly not a Hollywood star like Pearce, had to drop off due to a scheduling conflict. So Kate Winslet called up Pearce, who is her friend, to replace Miles for the role. So take that information how you will, but Pearce's casting may be the perfect red herring because of that

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I don't really see any big spoilers in this thread at all.. at the same time, the thread was created to talk about the show.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad