Confirmed with Link: Marcus Pettersson Signed 1yr / $874,375

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He obviously took a discount. I'd guess there is some handshake agreement on what he's going to get next summer, and plus he probably didn't want the added fan/media pressure of signing a bigger deal that would've forced the Penguins to move out a decent player in order to fit him in. Obviously that wouldn't have been Pettersson's fault, but it would have *appeared* as though it was. Plus maybe he just likes winning and didn't want the team to have to downgrade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The term is unfortunate, but necessary.

At least Petts played along and took one for the team, but we'll likely be paying for this later.

Reactions: Shady Machine

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I gotta admit, JR said they didn't have to trade anyone to fit him in and he was right, though many didn't believe him (and I don't blame them).
It's true. He did amazingly well to make it all fit after Tanev. That being said, I think we have to play with 22-men now. Doesn't look like Bjorkqvist has any chance now.
Ah well, considering all the positives of late I can live with it.

Well done, Jim.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I mean, its a little gamble because you don't know how next year goes with the cap and rfa's. We could have to lose a player next year cause MP cap hit is 1m more or so then it would have been... but knowing how JR usually does things, I think he probably said "let's cross that bridge next year"

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's true. He did amazingly well to make it all fit after Tanev. That being said, I think we have to play with 22-men now. Doesn't look like Bjorkqvist has any chance now.
Ah well, considering all the positives of late I can live with it.

Well done, Jim.
Wait, did I miss something? Isn't this kid like a "C" level prospect?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Wait, did I miss something? Isn't this kid like a "C" level prospect?
IMO he's better than that. He's extremely motivated right now. In absolutely incredible shape. Young, passionate and with a great attitude. It's what we were missing last year. I didn't think his odds were great at making the team but I was hoping he'd have some semblance of a fair shot. That's not gonna happen. It's a shame because he totally busted his balls all summer.

I like to see hard work acknowledged and rewarded. Those virtues should be ingrained in our team's identity. The prospects need to see that there's a reason to go the extra mile.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Now that they do not have to trade a part to make themselves cap eligible I like this team's makeup. They should be possession freaks up and down the lineup when healthy.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can carry 22 with this deal. But I still think this cap position so tight will be a issue this season.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Not really sure how some are not ecstatic about this... Yinz mad if we had to trade Rust to get cap complaint; or the ones mad over how much Tan got and we wouldnt be able to sign Pets; all the way to now the ones upset over a 1 yr deal? Some of ya'll are impossible.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Glad it's out of the way and we didn't need to move Rust or Bjugs. I fully expect an extension for MP in Jan. The rough numbers for it were probably already agreed to.

It looks like we could still ice 23 players if JJ is the one sent down. (he won't be) Otherwise we're a couple hundred k over the cap. Knowing the Pens, it'll be irrelevant because someone will be on LTIR by the time camp ends.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hell be getting Dumoulin money on his next deal if he holds down a spot with Schultz all year.

Potentially though Dumo did have back to back cups where he was on the top pairing by his 2nd year in the league. Pettersson looks to be more productive offensively, less ice time (Dumo was just over 20 minutes his 2nd year) and we'll be buying less UFA years for Pettersson than we had to for Dumo. Though if Pettersson puts up 30 points next year then all bets are off. Still hoping we can lock him in long term for $4 million.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
IMO he's better than that. He's extremely motivated right now. In absolutely incredible shape. Young, passionate and with a great attitude. It's what we were missing last year. I didn't think his odds were great at making the team but I was hoping he'd have some semblance of a fair shot. That's not gonna happen. It's a shame because he totally busted his balls all summer.

I like to see hard work acknowledged and rewarded. Those virtues should be ingrained in our team's identity. The prospects need to see that there's a reason to go the extra mile.

If he performs, he'll be rewarded with better opportunities in WBS and be the first call-up when injuries inevitably hit.

If Guentzel could play half a season destroying the A, it's no slight to Bjorkqvist.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Thinking about cuts, I wonder if Ruh is going to be penciled in to be waived instead of Riikola. If they are going to continue trying to move JJ, they're going to want to make sure we still have Riikola to plug in at LD. If Riikola gets claimed, then you're either keeping JJ, trading for another D, or Wars or Czucz are a starting D. If Ruh gets claimed then we're downgrading to Trotman at 7D.

I guess another option would be to play a D on his off side, but I think the staff will bend over backwards to avoid that after what they saw from that last season.

The Tanevificent

Feb 24, 2018
This is great news. I still think we trade someone early. This allows to wait for the veteran FAs to get signed and see what teams loses got the short end of the stick. We could also get lucky if any team gets an early injury. I would not mind making a trade but I would prefer not to be forced into it. I think Pets gets an early extension once space is cleared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad