Confirmed with Link: Marcus Pettersson Signed 1yr / $874,375

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bjork's rehabbing an injury anyway so i WANT him starting in the A.
People are putting way too much stock in his physique and off-ice work habits. That's all good, but if that was all that mattered (or even mattered more than just a little bit) Raitis Ivanans would be winding down a HOF-caliber career and Johnny Gaudreau would be pulling paper jams out of a printer in some office.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Have a feeling Petts is going to play the majority of the year with Letang and Schultz and rack up even more points and we’re totally getting ****ed.

Hell of a move for Petts to take this deal.
I think that's a good problem to have. I think signing him to a long-term deal now, with only 1 full NHL season under his belt where he played somewhat sheltered minutes, would've been risky. We signed Cole *assuming* he could be a top-4 d-man before he actually proved it and he had a rough regular season.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Finally.

Also, I'm guessing this is our pairings I guess...

Dumoulin, Letang
Johnson, Schultz - Barf
Pettersson, Gudbranson - Noice.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Good, in the end he signed his qualifying offer and call it a day.
Now Trotman and Ruhwedel to WBS and we're cap compliant, unless the injury bug start early this season.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If Gudbrandson isn't a top 4 guy then there's no reason to keep him beyond this season. $4mil for a 3rd pairing guy is too much. Although I have a feeling he can be our new Schultz/Dailey.

If we can find takers for 1 or both of JJ and Gud then we won't have any issues re-signing all the free agents next summer.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People are putting way too much stock in his physique and off-ice work habits. That's all good, but if that was all that mattered (or even mattered more than just a little bit) Raitis Ivanans would be winding down a HOF-caliber career and Johnny Gaudreau would be pulling paper jams out of a printer in some office.

People (well, some of them are) are also way too ready to reward looking good in college/prospects tourneys/the weights room with NHL looks. Their reward for that is training camp and ELCs.

Lets be real here - only crap organisations regularly promote non-amazing guys straight from juniors to the NHL and a lot of the time they end up regretting it. We're not crap and shouldn't act like it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People (well, some of them are) are also way too ready to reward looking good in college/prospects tourneys/the weights room with NHL looks. Their reward for that is training camp and ELCs.

Lets be real here - only crap organisations regularly promote non-amazing guys straight from juniors to the NHL and a lot of the time they end up regretting it. We're not crap and shouldn't act like it.

Especially since we're not hurting for depth, at all, and it's not like Bjorkqvist was tearing it up in college.

It's in the player's and the team's best interest for him to gain confidence and show he can score at the AHL level before throwing him into NHL action.

Reactions: wej20 and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Especially since we're not hurting for depth, at all, and it's not like Bjorkqvist was tearing it up in college.

It's in the player's and the team's best interest for him to gain confidence and show he can score at the AHL level before throwing him into NHL action.

Weeeeeerrrd.

Being a focal point down in WBS will be better for Bjorkqvist's development than being another 4th line grinder in Pittsburgh. If we want to reward the kid, give him the better scenario!

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Great.

Only thought on this: JR can continue to get players on team friendly deals... unless those players are fourth liners or terrible defensemen. Dumbfounding.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bjorkqvist had no chance at making the big club out of camp.

Nor should he. He's coming off shoulder surgery and just starting his pro career. It's in his best interest to get time in the AHL. I think some are jumping the gun on him.

Reactions: Jacob

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's true. He did amazingly well to make it all fit after Tanev. That being said, I think we have to play with 22-men now. Doesn't look like Bjorkqvist has any chance now.
Ah well, considering all the positives of late I can live with it.

Well done, Jim.

Bjorkqvist never had a chance to start the season anyway.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Petts on the 3rd pair for a while might be a blessing in disguise as far as the cost of his extension in Jan.
Yes and no.

Gudbranson has been fantastic for us and paired with him might have the same effect that Schultz had with Cole, I think Pettersson is going to do everything in his power to make sure the next contract situation is him bending the team over the barrel and not him having to take this type of contract because of his lack of resume.

Johnson though, wild card. Could the first season just be him being not good on a team that wasn't good either? Can he rebound after a year of playing in this system and figuring out what he did wrong?

Can we assume JJ is smart enough to even figure that out? Probably not, but it'd be fun as hell to see Pixies lose his shit about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad