Value of: Marcus Pettersson or some other LD to the Devils

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The Devils could upgrade their defense, but there aren't a lot of options available. For instance, Hanifin would be a good addition, but his next contract is going to be too rich for the Devils.

Is Pettersson available if the Penguins lose their playoff chances before the trade deadline? He probably isn't, but if he is, what would be his value if they decide to sell him in the deadline or offseason?

Any other options? Preferably (bigger) guys who can defend and aren't stone hands.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Wouldn't you prefer having Graves back! :)
Sorry, no refunds. :laugh:

Pens would want a 1st rounder +. Hes one of the most underrated defensive minded D-men in the league
I think they would move Pettersson but not to a divisional opponent. Two 2nd round picks seem likely.
I think it would be more reasonable to pay a little bit extra for Pettersson than get Hanifin or some other really expensive player. So I wouldn't be against this.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Elsewhere on the web Bahl + a first has been bounced around. Petey would take KBs job so that makes sense. With Luke and Dougie as the O-minded d men Petey in a shutdown role is nice. Hanifin would be a great add and I think doable $ wise. Luke and Nemec ARE very good and WILL be great. But I dont see them handling very deep runs until after next season. Hanifin is like his own breakout option which has been an issue since Sevs left. Imagine Hanifin and Luke with Jack, geez. This year I think some small creative moves (Nedelkovic- G, Trenin- F, Seeler- D, Ducair- F, Clutterbuck- F) if they continue like this and try and do some damage.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly though, just take Graves back. lol. He more or less fits the bill. Left an appreciable hole in the Devils blueline, and you know he's had some chemistry with Marino. If he plays like he did last year for the Devils with Marino for much of the year, his contract is just fine on value.

Letting Severson go with Nemec coming along, and Hughes also able to play more of that role made worlds of sense. Especially with the bonkers contract he got. But Graves...i would've hung onto him if i were the Devils.

Hasn't really worked out for the Penguins. The mix is all off, where both of their top RHD in Letang and Karlsson are very "aggressive" themselves and it creates a mess with Graves also wanting to play more aggressively in all facets of the game. But heck, it worked with Marino who is more passive. Just go back to it imo. I think Penguins would probably just be happy to hit "reset" or call a "mulligan" on that contract...so they'd probably move him just to move him. Whereas other guys, including Pettersson would require significant acquisition cost.

Reactions: Son Goku

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Honestly though, just take Graves back. lol. He more or less fits the bill. Left an appreciable hole in the Devils blueline, and you know he's had some chemistry with Marino. If he plays like he did last year for the Devils with Marino for much of the year, his contract is just fine on value.

Letting Severson go with Nemec coming along, and Hughes also able to play more of that role made worlds of sense. Especially with the bonkers contract he got. But Graves...i would've hung onto him if i were the Devils.

Hasn't really worked out for the Penguins. The mix is all off, where both of their top RHD in Letang and Karlsson are very "aggressive" themselves and it creates a mess with Graves also wanting to play more aggressively in all facets of the game. But heck, it worked with Marino who is more passive. Just go back to it imo. I think Penguins would probably just be happy to hit "reset" or call a "mulligan" on that contract...so they'd probably move him just to move him. Whereas other guys, including Pettersson would require significant acquisition cost.
He was okay, but had too many mistakes and dumb plays. I don't think there are a lot of people who are missing him in NJ.

I rather pay that acquisition cost for Pettersson than take Graves back.

Reactions: Smitty426

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Marino is only signed for 3 more years, Graves is now signed for 5 more.

The pairing worked well for 64 games (Marino missed time with an injury) but it doesn’t mean the Devils should have invested in it long term.

The best part of that pair might have been they on the PK together but I wouldn’t want Graves signed 5 years for that.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
He was okay, but had too many mistakes and dumb plays. I don't think there are a lot of people who are missing him in NJ.

I rather pay that acquisition cost for Pettersson than take Graves back.
Totally understandable of wanted Pettersson over Graves, it's not even close to be honest, but the real question is how much are the Devils willing to pay? Cause he won't come cheap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Ron Hextall was the Penguins GM, you could get him for Ty Smith :laugh:

He’s basically a lefty Marino, but I’d argue he has gotten better when Marino has kinda stagnated. I’d hope for a 1st but I don’t think he’s the kind of defenseman that teams usually trade a 1st for.

Reactions: domaug

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s basically a lefty Marino, but I’d argue he has gotten better when Marino has kinda stagnated. I’d hope for a 1st but I don’t think he’s the kind of defenseman that teams usually trade a 1st for.

He doesn't have the offensive upside of Marino. I don't think you'd get beyond a couple 2nds for him. Which kinda defeats the purpose of moving him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st. He's also signed for next season and I doubt you'd be able to find a similar player in free agency for less that he makes.

Reactions: Giskard and domaug

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At his cap hit, 1st+ quite honestly. He's a top pairing dman for us. Signed next year for $4mil. If moved at the TDL, he'd have sky high value. Problem for the Penguins would be replacement. He may be one of the hardest positions to replace at the moment and there's not a lot available on the market to do so. We also lack the prospects.

From the Devils, yeah a 1st+3rd. I would want something like 2025 1st + 2024 3rd. We will likely lose our 2025 1st to SJS so replacing that should be priority.

That all said, I just don't see it happening. We need Pettersson now and in the future. Unless you're offering Mercer or Holtz, then I doubt anything happens.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Devils could upgrade their defense, but there aren't a lot of options available. For instance, Hanifin would be a good addition, but his next contract is going to be too rich for the Devils.

Is Pettersson available if the Penguins lose their playoff chances before the trade deadline? He probably isn't, but if he is, what would be his value if they decide to sell him in the deadline or offseason?

Any other options? Preferably (bigger) guys who can defend and aren't stone hands.
Habs may move Matheson but it will take overpayment. Holtz and a first?

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

We need to ride this year out we brought in youth and just let it grow ....Without a trade we might still get in and make some noise and a trade doesn't guarantee we make it or don't ...Growth year for us and then if necessary address this in offseason but for a team that drafted defense heavy it's time to see if these guys can play...Misyul is there I'd like to see him up this year if not next year he's a talented defenseman that prefers to play a stay at home role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad