Confirmed with Link: Marcus Kruger Acquired for 2018 5th Round Pick

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
... I think RF has done a damn brilliant job of making this team playoff-worthy without sacrificing any of the long-term future.

That's what I like about the moves so far this summer. I know some might see Francis as hesitant to pull the trigger on a big move but it's obvious he's thinking big picture, long term. To be fair he has gone on record and said this multiple times though haha.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Do they? I am not so sure about this. On interesting line of thought I've heard several commentators speak about is how the McDavid contract has the potential to change the landscape of RFA deals going forward. They are wondering that if he gets his "true value" contract like everyone is expecting, that it may have a domino effect on the rest of the league. And if it does, what is the value of Slavin? While he doesn't have the name recognition and draft pedigree of most superstars, his defensive stats put him in the top 10 of a lot of defensive metrics in the league. Will his agent insist he get paid at that rate?

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I just said previously I think RF and PK have had the conversations about how RF wants to keep this team together and have had some talks about the probable cost. If Slavin's agent wants something ridiculous and won't budge I hope we trade him. He's a very good two way guy but he's not worth more than what we have here discussed. He makes the team better but he isn't a game breaker, and the big money is reserved for those types. I hope the analytics of Slavin don't get in the way of the big picture, and don't try to present him as the superstar he isn't, not at this point. He's very good and still under rated a bit. He's not a star player to me.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That's what I like about the moves so far this summer. I know some might see Francis as hesitant to pull the trigger on a big move but it's obvious he's thinking big picture, long term. To be fair he has gone on record and said this multiple times though haha.

If the cost of Duchene was one of our top 4 I'm fine with him hesitating. I have no criticism there, or of RF in general.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Both Kruger and Williams brings a lot of experience in our young locker room. Last season roster have Jordan with +70 games in playoffs, TT has 25, Stemp has 28, Stalberg 43, Nordstrom 10, McClement - 11... Stemp, Stalberg, Nordstrom and McClement IIRC were on 4th line in every playoffs they've been in it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This is funny, because this is how half of the Hurricanes Facebook group is acting. Apparently Kruger is just an overpaid McClement.

I try and stay as far away as possible from that Facebook group. I don't want that stink rubbing off on me.

The deployment percentages I posted earlier are just .....absurd. There's really no other way to say it. I don't know if there is another center in the league that has been this specifically deployed and simultaneously effective. For example, some people have brought up McClement's name while talking about this transaction. Carolina deployed McClement in a defensive zone start approximately 60% of his shifts during his time here and his Corsi has been, understandably to a degree, -8.8 over his tenure. Kruger was deployed 71% of the time last season in the defensive zone and was only -0.2 CF% rel. The year before he was deployed 81.3% (!!!) in the defensive zone and his CF% rel was only -3.4. This is very likely the best 4th line center in the game and if hockey awarded the Selke trophy meritoriously as opposed to it being "best defensive forward who also scores a **** ton of points," then Kruger would be perennially at the top of the heap.

This, as you say, is a pure "improve the deployment percentages" for the other forwards. If Jordan can get a little breather from his defensive assignments, it should translate in his whole line being more effective. The fact is this guarantees at least two very effective lines in the defensive zone.

I'm happy we made moves because we needed them. Kruger is a great addition to any team, I've just never thought he was a luxury we could afford. To me he's similar to jstaal that way. If this acquisition is the key to jstaal offense, and not his general refusal to take the puck to the net then I'll be as happy as anyone else.

Bleed, I think you intimate the true benefit though. The other UFA or trade deals just weren't there at a value that we could swallow. So Ronnie did the next best thing....he tried to set up scenarios where our current offensive players could be even more successful. At least that's my read on this.

Do they? I am not so sure about this. On interesting line of thought I've heard several commentators speak about is how the McDavid contract has the potential to change the landscape of RFA deals going forward. They are wondering that if he gets his "true value" contract like everyone is expecting, that it may have a domino effect on the rest of the league. And if it does, what is the value of Slavin? While he doesn't have the name recognition and draft pedigree of most superstars, his defensive stats put him in the top 10 of a lot of defensive metrics in the league. Will his agent insist he get paid at that rate?

My sense is that GMRF has about 4 to 6 months to get some of these deals done before serious inflation hits the market. If he can get a couple of the young defenders under something like longer term deals and also get Lindy done, then we'd be in the best possible shape.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I'm actually not criticizing RF. I'm just pointing out the other side of this coin. I get why RF is doing it, I'm just sad the possible moment to make the team more exciting is passing and we're actually just as unable to acquire it as we always have been. RF hasn't failed, the market wasn't there. I'm just struggling with the overhyping of the silver linings. This summer is turning into a classic jr bargain bin summer, though in a good way. Not being able or not wanting to afford a top goalie so taking a chance on a underutilized back up and signing him to be our number one? JR. Taking advantage of the situation to get TVR? JR. He loved guys like that. Recycling Williams? Duh JR. I think even Kruger is. It's funny to see RF go that route and to also see how they both had the same limitations and did the best they could. Obviously JR would never rebuild and RF jumped all in there so there are also obvious huge differences.
I am pretty sure there was no top goalie available this off-season, there was a choice between Grubauer, Darling, Raanta, maybe Fleury and Bishop. I dont think at this moment any of them were top goalies, GMRF just choose someone who management thinks will bring the most for us.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I am pretty sure there was no top goalie available this off-season, there was a choice between Grubauer, Darling, Raanta, maybe Fleury and Bishop. I dont think at this moment any of them were top goalies, GMRF just choose someone who management thinks will bring the most for us.

Fleury is a top goalie. I don't disagree with the move (I like it), but it follows the theme of the post you reference.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I dont think he is anymore, he is way to inconsistent and many dont consider him as top goalie anymore IMO

Well many do, and I guess I don't understand where you're going. I was making a point about RF having to make a lot of moves that are right out of JR's playbook. Which makes sense as he learned under JR, but sometimes I don't think we all see the constraints on them are the same and how they deal with it is pretty similar at times - as different as the rebuild in general has been.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Well many do, and I guess I don't understand where you're going. I was making a point about RF having to make a lot of moves that are right out of JR's playbook. Which makes sense as he learned under JR, but sometimes I don't think we all see the constraints on them are the same and how they deal with it is pretty similar at times - as different as the rebuild in general has been.
I was just saying about goalies.

And overall I dont agree that these two moves were extra money moves, as people have said, we needed to sign someone to get to cap floor, and actual money for Kruger is not his cap hit. So it doesnt make sense that these two deals were extra money as you are suggesting.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Aaaand Francis has just been quoted saying he's comfortable with the team now after the Kruger trade, and there's nothing currently "in the hopper". Not to pick on ya, but you were saying?

It would appear these were the big moves we're making this off season, and there is no Neal or Duchene style move ahead of us. We've improved for sure, but Williams was the "20 goal winger" and Kruger replaced the idea of a top 6 center.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep. Don't get me wrong he probably kicked the tires at least a few more times on Duchene (it was noted that he met with Sakic at the draft), but if the price was still way too much for what Matt is currently bringing, it was never going to happen. We likely explored other options to bolster our scoring depth in addition to Williams, for instance I know we were deep in on Marleau but weren't going to give him a 3rd year, and were probably in on a few others like Bonino. But Williams was the only scorer to really shake loose to us and we moved on.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Aaaand Francis has just been quoted saying he's comfortable with the team now after the Kruger trade, and there's nothing currently "in the hopper". Not to pick on ya, but you were saying?

It would appear these were the big moves we're making this off season, and there is no Neal or Duchene style move ahead of us. We've improved for sure, but Williams was the "20 goal winger" and Kruger replaced the idea of a top 6 center.
I was not arguing that he will spend more- I was just quoting what Francis said- that he asked to Karmanos for his blessing IF the right deal came along, he would be able to spend on it. And these two are not deals for that asking, because we are barely over cap floor. So probably big move never happened, and this sentence out of Francis wasnt needed in his interview IMO

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He added almost 5 million for a goalie, another 4.5 for a winger plus another 2-3 for Kruger. Those were the "right deals" that came along. That's what he asked blessing on, Williams and money for Duchene. If Duchene had happened then Kruger wouldn't have and we would have added 4 million or whatever more but when Duchene and Marleau didn't happen he went for Kruger. That's the off season. People think because of the timing of the RF and PK quote that there was something big coming but that conversation likely happened awhile ago and was in reference to Darling/TVR/Williams/Kruger.

If our big splashes were 36 year old Willams and 37 year old Marleau I would've cringed anyways.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

And what's wrong with that?

Francis stated after the season that he wanted to fix the goaltending situation, bolster the 3rd pair and add scoring to the top six. He accomplished all three by 7/1. Then on top of that, he managed to bolster the 4th line and PK with Kruger. Just because there was no 'big move' doesn't mean that it's a letdown (side note, I have no clue why many convinced themselves that a big move was in the cards). Francis set out what he wanted to do, and that's a success. Now it all depends on how they play, especially Darling.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I'm a little confused at criticism of Francis in calling his moves "classic GMJR". The thing that GMJR sucked at was building; the thing he was good at was bringing in NHL players. If Francis is taking plays out of JR's playbook in adding NHL players, isn't that a good thing?

Also, did Francis claim he was going to bring in a top-6 center? More to the point: did he say he would do something that he hasn't done?

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
It doesnt make any sense then- team needs to be over cap floor, so why he would ask for his blessing? To be few millions over cap floor? By your logic Francis is not allowed to be over cap floor if Karmanos is not allowing it- and that`s not right at all.

And once again, we are paying to Kruger only 3 million over both seasons what are left on his contract because Blackhawks already payed him 2 million signing bonus of this season.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm a little confused at criticism of Francis in calling his moves "classic GMJR". The thing that GMJR sucked at was building; the thing he was good at was bringing in NHL players. If Francis is taking plays out of JR's playbook in adding NHL players, isn't that a good thing?

Also, did Francis claim he was going to bring in a top-6 center? More to the point: did he say he would do something that he hasn't done?
I specifically remember him targeting "one, maybe two top 6, top 9 players". Maybe I missed a quote but that's definitely something he said less than a month ago. Once we signed Williams, I felt like that was the upgrade to the top 9 group and I'm completely fine with that

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It would appear these were the big moves we're making this off season, and there is no Neal or Duchene style move ahead of us.

We'll be back on the Duchene train if the price drops and our package of futures has a shot to get it done, bit otherwise agree, our team is set.

Will be interesting to see if someone comes to camp and forces his way onto the team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

It isn't a criticism but yes, he said he was gonna try to add a "top 6" center. It didn't pan out and he used the cash he had available for Kruger.

And yes, using the JR playbook is a "good thing" at times. I specifically said it's interesting how they deal with the same limitations the same way at times. I also said obviously RF's entire approach of rebuilding was completely foreign to JR, the similarity is in how well they both are (at times) at dumpster diving. JR had some mistakes but he also was very good at it over his career.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And what's wrong with that?

Francis stated after the season that he wanted to fix the goaltending situation, bolster the 3rd pair and add scoring to the top six. He accomplished all three by 7/1. Then on top of that, he managed to bolster the 4th line and PK with Kruger. Just because there was no 'big move' doesn't mean that it's a letdown (side note, I have no clue why many convinced themselves that a big move was in the cards). Francis set out what he wanted to do, and that's a success. Now it all depends on how they play, especially Darling.

I agree completely except he definitely said both a "20 goal winger" and a "top 6 center". He did accomplish all he wanted except the center. That's my whole point, some people were thinking we were adding something beyond Kruger because PK told RF he could spend for the right players - I've been saying he already has and there's nothing else coming.

My main "complaint" about Kruger is that if we're spending that much on a fourth line center, we obviously aren't gonna get another higher end forward anytime soon. So be it.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hell, at this point I'm just glad that we have a GM that said he was going to try and that try wasn't just appeasing lip service. He actually went out and mixed it up and tried to get into some advantageous positions instead of taking the low variance route and just taking a holding pattern. Getting Darling, Williams, TVR, and Kruger addressed some pretty long standing issues in the organization. Goaltending, veteran leadership, and securing the bottom pairing. I think that stability is going to help us bridge this group and our group of prospects together. I think it's unreasonable to suspect that everyone succeeds, but it's also unreasonable to think they all bust. If we can get a legit Top 6 forward for next season through internal development that will be huge. Necas, Roy, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, etc. Plus, our defense will be that much more killer for having waited on moving any pieces out.

I was disappointed in this offseason to a degree prior to July 1st, but I really like what we've managed to do since. Williams, Jooris, and Kruger help out depth a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad