Confirmed with Link: Marcus Kruger Acquired for 2018 5th Round Pick

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't know, I thought it was pretty full and manly last year. The moustache though, yeah. Some dudes just don't have the upper lip height needed to pull of a really good moustache. You need some distance between your mouth and your nose to pull off a Tom Selleck kinda thing.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll say one last thing about Luke's tweet. Many times, when a guy tweets something, we are left to wonder if he has direct or inside info or if it's speculation. In this case, Luke was tweeting specifically about the press conference, so we were able to listen for ourselves and not guess as to what info Luke had. It was clearly his spin on it and whether chip retweeted it doesn't change that. Francis never said top line/top 6 center.

Setting the tweet aside, of course we're going to want a better center and discuss all sorts of dream scenarios to get one. For years, Leaf fans were convinced they were going to trade for / sign Staal, Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, etc... because they saw a need, just as we see a need. Problem is, in reality, it rarely ever happens. In the end, Leafs had to draft their centers and we likely will too, unless a Ryjo for Jones deal comes along. It's why Duchene is talked about so much. One can debate if he's truly a 1C, but guys with his credentials in their primes aren't on the market very often. Our depth on D is also why so many fans and media think we might do our own Ryjo/Jones type deal.

So I'm sure Francis was looking at that option as well. I agree with Bleed and said as much earlier though, that after signing Darling, Williams and getting TVR, the Canes were pretty much done. Kruger was a bit of a surprise, but not overly.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know some have mentioned this, but one benefit of obtaining Kruger is the workload he takes off of Jordan. Nordstrom had shown he can handle the shutdown role when paired with Jordan in the past so if we can find another winger who also can do that, whether that is Mcginn or someone else in the org, that will allow Aho-Staal-Lindy/Willy to be more offensive minded. Jordan will never be in a pure offense role, but even taking some of the tough matchups away could pay dividends.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Francis is such an underrated GM

I'm surprised Stan Bowman / George McPhee are still answering his phone calls.

There will come a time the bar is raised and Francis will be judged in this order....

Stanley Cups > Playoff Success > Playoff Appearances > Regular Season Standings

rest of the stuff is just "looking good on paper"

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I know we had to spend to get to the cap, but that doesn't mean RF was allowed to give any money to anyone to get over the floor.

If this is true, then this owner should sell this franchise as soon as possible, because owner should not have any saying what GM`s job is. If Francis needs to ask Karmanos - "Can I sign Williams?" then it`s ****ed up, it should not be like this.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The other winger that could fit with a hypothetical shutdown line with Kruger and Nordy could be Jooris. We aren't talking about it much, but they identified this guy as a player we want despite the presence of McGinn, Brown, and pdg. I wouldn't be so sure he's the 13th guy. He's also a righty with decent speed. I could see the three getting a shot at the fourth.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The other winger that could fit with a hypothetical shutdown line with Kruger and Nordy could be Jooris. We aren't talking about it much, but they identified this guy as a player we want despite the presence of McGinn, Brown, and pdg. I wouldn't be so sure he's the 13th guy. He's also a righty with decent speed. I could see the three getting a shot at the fourth.

Yep. I think the 13th forward will be one of McGinn, Jooris, and Nordy...and it will be a rotating thing depending on who is playing well. None of those three better take a shift off or they will be in danger of centering the pressbox line.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Yep. I think the 13th forward will be one of McGinn, Jooris, and Nordy...and it will be a rotating thing depending on who is playing well. None of those three better take a shift off or they will be in danger of centering the pressbox line.

Yeah, this. And isn't it nice for once to have useful depth, rather than the usual parade of "ugh, this guy again?"

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

He can play all three forward positions and was an effective college scorer.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
He added almost 5 million for a goalie, another 4.5 for a winger plus another 2-3 for Kruger. Those were the "right deals" that came along. That's what he asked blessing on, Williams and money for Duchene. If Duchene had happened then Kruger wouldn't have and we would have added 4 million or whatever more but when Duchene and Marleau didn't happen he went for Kruger. That's the off season. People think because of the timing of the RF and PK quote that there was something big coming but that conversation likely happened awhile ago and was in reference to Darling/TVR/Williams/Kruger.

If our big splashes were 36 year old Willams and 37 year old Marleau I would've cringed anyways.

I keep seeing the bolded and its just not true IMO. Kruger and Duchene having nothing to do with the other. When it was rumored that Hawks would leave TVR exposed, if they take Kruger, there was rumor that those two would be flipped to Carolina. And that's exactly what happened. It was just a delay with Kruger b/c he was owed bonus on July 1st and VGK wanted Hawks to pay that bonus. I'm pretty sure TVR/Kruger were in Carolina's plans since May. We didn't just get Kruger b/c we couldn't get anyone else.

Kruger isn't going to be in the Top 6, so if they wanted to bring Duchene in for that 1C spot, they could/would. Duchene is not in Carolina because Sakic wants one of of Top 4D, which Francis says he is not trading, which he shouldn't. Its the same reason the Preds haven't traded for him b/c they won't give up one of their Top 4D.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Krűger was a playmaker back in the Swedish Elite League, before he went to Chicago and became a 99% defensive player.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't doubt that Kruger could produce more offense if he didn't take 80% of his draws in the defensive zone playing a shutdown role. The question is whether or not the global team benefit of having him take those assignments is higher than the increase in production the team would see by Kruger adopting a more offensive role.

I'd rather have the Staal/Aho line seeing better offensive opportunities to the detriment of Kruger's production.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Based on those ridiculous stats Vagrant posted, I don't care to see him start anywhere other than his own end. Carolina is such a match-up dependent team that this move will hopefully mitigate some of those minute long shifts in the dz we'd see out of our 4th+3rd d pairing group. I don't recall ever being as (relatively) excited about a 4th line pickup and the myriad of positive effects it could have.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Kruger at 3rd doesn't make sense. We know Aho-Staal-Lindholm and Skinner-Ryan-Stempniak will likely be together to start the year, so that leaves either Kruger or Rask as your 4th line center. It's obvious who should play with Williams and TT and with Nordstrom and Jooris/McGinn.

Ignoring that and making the forward lines a potpourri, it comes down to a contest between Derek Ryan and Kruger for the 4th line spot. And while I destest having DR in our lineup, though he's a wonderful human being and hope he finds love and happiness yadda yadda, putting him in a 4th line role seems such a ridiculous waste of his abilities. At least with Skinner and Stempniak he'll be putting up points (mainly when Skinner goes nuts and scores 20 in 20).

Best case for Kruger is when Peters starts rolling 4 lines, something we can easily do this year against weak to medium teams as our only defensively suspect link is Skinner-Ryan-Stemp. I am excited because we can now matchup effectively against teams that are 3 lines deep, ie Pittsburgh, Washington and Columbus (and NYR, somewhat). Slavin/Pesce against Crosby, Staal against Malkin, Kruger against Kessel. That's the most important improvement I see with the Kruger acquisition, last year we essentially had to roll 4 lines and hope McClement and Ryan didn't **** up too much.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Drawing names out of a hat Peters style here:

Lindholm-Staal-Skinner
Stempniak-Faulk

Teravainen-Rask-Williams
Aho-Hanifin

Staal-Lindholm
Slavin-Pesce

Kruger-Nordstrom
TVR-Faulk

If I remember correctly from last season, the first unit had Aho, Staal, Lindholm with Faulk and TT at the point. Rask, Skinner and Hanifin were on the second power play unit regularly with the other members more transient.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Kruger did put up some pretty nice offensive numbers in the SEL where it is not particularly easy to score. He also had some point output in the high 20s early on with the Blackhawks. And yes, that's been a while ago, but it's not like he's old or something, he's still just 27.

I know the roster's getting full but I really wish we could bring Stalberg back. I bet he'd jump at the chance to play on the same line with Kruger and Nordstrom and that would probably be the best 4th line in the league.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I really don't think they're going to be looking for any offense from Kruger. I think the idea was to soften the matchups that Jordan's line was facing because McClement's line wasn't good enough defensively to be a true shut down line. This will allow us to deploy Staal in an offensive capacity and might actually be a creative way to address the issue of not being able to trade for a Top 6 center. I also think that our 3rd and 4th lines will be somewhat interchanged in terms of icetime. I don't think you'll see a significant disparity between them.

Jordan has had a lot expected of him from a defensive standpoint since his arrival and it would be nice to put some offensive players on his wings and just let him go about putting together the best offensive season he can. It's hard to justify making somewhat high risk creative plays when you're deployed against some of the best offensive players in the league and a mistake likely ends up in the back of your net. Being able to have someone on board that can take those matchups could potentially open up Jordan's line to be an attacking one instead of a counterattacking one.

If there's any truth to the rumor that Kruger wanted to play with more Swedes, he and Nordstrom should be fast friends. It seems like they'd work well together even without context. I think putting McGinn on that wing to crash and bang on the forecheck and help the line offensively would be a smart move. I don't really like Jooris there as much as McGinn. To me, Jooris is a guy that slots better as a sub for Ryan than he does for anyone on our 4th line. Jooris has underrated offensive skills despite not having a history of offensive production in minor pro or the NCAA the way you'd expect from someone with his puck skills.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Nothing to say you can't have it both ways though. In 13-14 Kruger put up 8 goals, 28 points with 79% d-zone starts and his primary linemates appear to be Bollig and Bickell. I think McGinn and Nordstrom compare pretty favorably to those guys in terms of grinders who can score 20 points and give you a good cycle game. Kruger's linemates last season appear to be guys like Rasmussen, Desjardins and Tootoo on the 4th line so it's no surprise his scoring would be down some. This is shaping up to be the best 4th line we've had since Adams/Adams/Larose.

Last edited:

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Kruger did put up some pretty nice offensive numbers in the SEL where it is not particularly easy to score. He also had some point output in the high 20s early on with the Blackhawks. And yes, that's been a while ago, but it's not like he's old or something, he's still just 27.

I know the roster's getting full but I really wish we could bring Stalberg back. I bet he'd jump at the chance to play on the same line with Kruger and Nordstrom and that would probably be the best 4th line in the league.

Stalberg was pretty useful last year, so I'm a little surprised he's still unsigned.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016

Kruger has a limited offensive game.

His shot is dreadful. That is not hyperbole. His wrist injury a couple of years back took what was always a well below average shot and made it worse. He can't score from more than a few feet away from the net. He will dig for rebounds and tries to get deflections but his size limits his effectiveness there despite his consistent effort.

He makes some good short passes, especially from around the net, but he isn't very creative. He does well controlling the puck in the cycle game and is willing to go into the corners and to the front of the net without fear. He will get destroyed and lose some physical battles a couple of times a game, but he hops right back up and gets back into the play and won't hesitate to go right back into a puck battle with the same player the next shift. He can deliver some passes from out of the cycle game to a player springing open in danger areas.

Expecting anything more is likely folly.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Kruger has a limited offensive game.

His shot is dreadful. That is not hyperbole. His wrist injury a couple of years back took what was always a well below average shot and made it worse. He can't score from more than a few feet away from the net. He will dig for rebounds and tries to get deflections but his size limits his effectiveness there despite his consistent effort.

He makes some good short passes, especially from around the net, but he isn't very creative. He does well controlling the puck in the cycle game and is willing to go into the corners and to the front of the net without fear. He will get destroyed and lose some physical battles a couple of times a game, but he hops right back up and gets back into the play and won't hesitate to go right back into a puck battle with the same player the next shift. He can deliver some passes from out of the cycle game to a player springing open in danger areas.

Expecting anything more is likely folly.

So post-wrist injury Alex Semin if he decided to become a grinder and didn't smoke two packs of Luckies a day, is what you're saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad