Friedman: Marcus Johansson asking price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I hate this guy's guts. I have no idea why. I just really, really hate him when I see him skating around out there on the ice.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Anaheim needs all the help they can get the upcoming season.

Fowler & Stoner (cap dump) to Washington for Johansson +2nd 2017.

thecapsfan

Sep 3, 2012
Mojo is on crack, he isn't worth that much. He isn't a huge playoff performer nor has he broken 50 points.

Mad Brills*

If you throw in a nice madison bowey, you could have a JVR for mojo.......

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Trade him to the NYR for Krieder.

Two very different players in different roles and different talent ranges.... but .....I think the Caps and the NYR would benefit from the trade.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Trade him to the NYR for Krieder.

Two very different players in different roles and different talent ranges.... but .....I think the Caps and the NYR would benefit from the trade.

I would be in favor of replacing Mojo with Kreider. But, the whole speculation for moving Mojo is because he wants $$$. I think KK is going to get a very similar arb award.

However, if we could get KK and shed cap for Mojo and something minor, I'd be all for it. Kreider seems like an ideal fit for WSH.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Kadri and MoJo are similar enough.

Kadri got 4.5M, can see a deal happening around this number somewhere.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
I would be in favor of replacing Mojo with Kreider. But, the whole speculation for moving Mojo is because he wants $$$. I think KK is going to get a very similar arb award.

However, if we could get KK and shed cap for Mojo and something minor, I'd be all for it. Kreider seems like an ideal fit for WSH.

I agree. The money aspect can be worked out - if the desire is there.

Kreider is a "Trotz-player" - a great fit for Trotz style hockey and Mojo is a forced-fit for Trotz hockey. They are cramming him into a role that just doesn't fit for a guy his size/demeanor - bruiser hockey is for a guy like Krieder.

Mojo would be a great fit for Vigneault-hockey.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kadri and MoJo are similar enough.

Kadri got 4.5M, can see a deal happening around this number somewhere.

I agree that's probably about a "fair" ballpark. You do have to consider that the Kadri deal provided him a ton of long-term security though. Which can have value to offset a cap number a bit. Whereas a Johansson arbitration award would be just a 1 or 2 year dealio. Puts him at or near UFA status, which can be either positive or negative, depending how he/his agent look at things. It's probably about the right number on balance, but it's also not a perfect comparable because of the long-term nature of Kadri's deal - the Leafs buying in a bit on a bet that his production will continue to progress a bit (or at least maintain if he's pushed down the lineup out of prime minutes).

The real issue for me with Washington and Johansson...this is potentially back to back arbitration situations with him. They clearly can't seem to find a middleground for a long-term deal like the Kadri comparable. It just gives the impression Johansson isn't really a guy they're willing to commit to as a key part of the future and may or may not be in the plans at all long-term. At the very least, there's gotta be some friction over where Johansson sees himself, and where the team sees him - which isn't necessarily the most healthy thing.

Mad Brills*

@reporterchris
Still no deal between the #caps and Marcus Johansson. They'll have a salary arbitration hearing today unless one gets done at the 11th hour.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, could be a trade coming. Johansson is a decent player but he's not worth 5 million plus.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Chris Johnston Verified account 
‏@reporterchris
Marcus Johansson and the #caps settled before arbitration, per sources. He gets a three-year, $13.75M deal -- $4.583M AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad