Friedman: Marcus Johansson asking price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Why are people surprised about this and assuming there will be a trade? Isn't this pretty much how all arbitration cases work? Team lowballs, player ask way high, they settle in the middle. Neither side expects to get their initial ask/offer...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Why are people surprised about this and assuming there will be a trade? Isn't this pretty much how all arbitration cases work? Team lowballs, player ask way high, they settle in the middle. Neither side expects to get their initial ask/offer...

If mojo wins, caps won't have cap space for orlov

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
An arbitrator has to pick one or the other

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
If mojo wins, caps won't have cap space for orlov

What is the possibility the caps have a verbal agreement with Orlov in place, and are just waiting to resolve the Mojo arb?

I would guess they just haven't signed orlov so they won't lower trade value for mojo...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, that's a 4,5 million contract. Some comparables here would be both Smiths (Reilly and Craig), Palmieri, Killorn, Nyquist, Kadri to name a few. Hard to say if it's a good deal or not. Personally, I don't like it, but Caps fans may not agree.

Most of those can't actually be used as "comparables" in arbitration as all other than Kadri's buy UFA years. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 20g/45-50pt players who've received short enough contracts not to hit FA years.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Exactly. The player ask is pretty much always set for meeting in the middle.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Hard to think that Marcus wins this. I suspect that an Arbitrator will come in much closer to Washington considering they gave Hoffman 2 Million last year after a 27 Goal 48 point season.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Yeah I'm appalled more people have no understanding of basic negotiations. I'm sure Mojo doesn't think he's worth that. The arbitrator will probably settle around 4.5

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Most of those can't actually be used as "comparables" in arbitration as all other than Kadri's buy UFA years. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 20g/45-50pt players who've received short enough contracts not to hit FA years.

So long as the contract includes RFA years it can be used as a comparable. Doesn't matter if there are UFA years in as well.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
5.25? Bahaha, get real MJ!

Do people not realize this happens every year? The player always asks for more then they are probably worth and at the worst if they can at least convince the arbitrator they are worth a bit they end up in the middle. Not sure why you would go to arbitration to lowball yourself, if it was fair value I'm sure that a player wouldn't get to arbitration. Business 101 get the most money you can out of it

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How is this? Ufa years r a big factor

The arbitrator isn't handing out long term contracts. He focuses on what players are being paid in their RFA seasons to issue one or two year awards.

When comparable players are debated in salary arbitration the team is free to argue that such and such comparable player's salary should be viewed in the context of a longer term contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad