Player Discussion Marco Scandella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
extra 1st in 2017
(TWO) extra 1st in 2018
extra 2nd in 2019

but getting back the picks given for Shaw is rebuilding ? acquiring a bunch of 4th and 5th rounders is the exact same thing ? signing guys like Cousins and Weal is also the same ??

reality : MB did a few decent moves two summers ago, that's it.
More reality , domi for gally has been great, tatar and Suzuki for max is a win, the concussed Shaw for 2nd and third pick is a very good trade, I don’t think the sergachev derouin trade was a loss, cupboard is stocked with goal Caufield, Romanov, Phoeling and primeu and KK. 4 and 5 picks can become NHL stars

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
More reality , domi for gally has been great, tatar and Suzuki for max is a win, the concussed Shaw for 2nd and third pick is a very good trade, I don’t think the sergachev derouin trade was a loss, cupboard is stocked with goal Caufield, Romanov, Phoeling and primeu and KK. 4 and 5 picks can become NHL stars
all the trades are a win, at the very worst they're just OK...

so WHY are we not any better ?? WHY are we actually WORSE ??

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

IMHO the reasons are....
Injuries . Kk, Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Armia
Goaltending price is average, backup is bad
Poor pk from defence and goalie
No elite star. Top scorer produces 65 points
Team composition is speed at expense of size or toughness
Media, taxes and language prevents acquiring key Free agents
Bad puck luck. Fluke goals still count for and against.

Bergevin has tried to obtain a Tavares, Aho , O’reily Duchene in part for optics and he will not overpay. The path has improved with Chariot, Tatar, Danault, Suzuki,KK, Drouin,Petry. Note the oilers have the top two scorers in the league. How are they doing? And they are not a lock for the playoffs. You need 23 players to make it work.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

The main reason i would say is because we couldn’t draft and develop one decent player from the gally’s to this year so no matter how many good trades you’re gonna make, you can fill every hole that exist because of that problem.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
The main reason i would say is because we couldn’t draft and develop one decent player from the gally’s to this year so no matter how many good trades you’re gonna make, you can fill every hole that exist because of that problem.
While the draft record to produce nhl players is good the impact 1st rounders have certainly not panned out. Luck does have something to do with it. Juulsen has been injured. Sergachev is in Tampa. Beaulieu is in Winnipeg. Galchenyuk is in Pittsburgh. Phoeling is in Montreal, Caufield is a college star, KK is in Montreal. McCarron , Sherbak and tinordi are busts. Record is likely no worse than most teams .

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
While the draft record to produce nhl players is good the impact 1st rounders have certainly not panned out. Luck does have something to do with it. Juulsen has been injured. Sergachev is in Tampa. Beaulieu is in Winnipeg. Galchenyuk is in Pittsburgh. Phoeling is in Montreal, Caufield is a college star, KK is in Montreal. McCarron , Sherbak and tinordi are busts. Record is likely no worse than most teams .

Not one of our draftees between 2010-2016 beside Gallagher and Galchenyuk had some kind of impact on this team, its super bad!! With a strech of drafting/developing like that you can be assure that your organization is gonna go thru some serious pain for a while!!

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Not one of our draftees between 2010-2016 beside Gallagher and Galchenyuk had some kind of impact on this team, its super bad!! With a strech of drafting/developing like that you can be assure that your organization is gonna go thru some serious pain for a while!!
Well not to nitpick but Galchenyuk became domi and sergachev became Drouin . My sense is Phoeling, Romanov Kk and Caulfield will reverse the trend. Keeping the faith and we are due for a lottery win

Reactions: dralaf

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Well not to nitpick but Galchenyuk became domi and sergachev became Drouin . My sense is Phoeling, Romanov Kk and Caulfield will reverse the trend. Keeping the faith and we are due for a lottery win

Chucky turned into Domi and Serge into Drouin because of MB, my point initially was that no matter how many good trades he would have make, the lack of good drafting and development from 2010-16 made it impossible for MB to build a contender.

I agree with you that the last few drafts look alot more promising then the past 6-7

Reactions: Vachon23

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
IMHO the reasons are....
Injuries . Kk, Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Armia
Goaltending price is average, backup is bad
Poor pk from defence and goalie
No elite star. Top scorer produces 65 points
Team composition is speed at expense of size or toughness
Media, taxes and language prevents acquiring key Free agents
Bad puck luck. Fluke goals still count for and against.

Bergevin has tried to obtain a Tavares, Aho , O’reily Duchene in part for optics and he will not overpay. The path has improved with Chariot, Tatar, Danault, Suzuki,KK, Drouin,Petry. Note the oilers have the top two scorers in the league. How are they doing? And they are not a lock for the playoffs. You need 23 players to make it work.
Injuries : none last season, missed the PO. this season the Habs were on pace for roughly the same amount of points before all the injuries... KK and Byron werent doing much before being injured anyway.

Medias : does not stop TO from acquiring players, scrubs like Tavares for example. Majority of Habs players do not understand a word spoken by the medias here, doubt they care all that much.
Language :they can ALL live in english if they want, downtown MTL you will hear way more english than french and other languages.
Taxes : Pay more for players, we're sitting on Millions on cap space right now, been a few years like that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
must be Gaston Therrien fault...
No it’s actually the Quebec separatists fault. Mtl went from a global economic super power of a city (50’s-70’s) to an economic backwater. For some strange reason that seems to have aligned with the on ice success and failure of the org as a whole.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No it’s actually the Quebec separatists fault. Mtl went from a global economic super power of a city (50’s-70’s) to an economic backwater. For some strange reason that seems to have aligned with the on ice success and failure of the org as a whole.
Bergevin failures due to a few separatists... :help::help:

Reactions: schnapshot

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Bergevin failures due to a few separatists... :help::help:
MB, Gainey, Gauthier, Andre Savard - no one was able to lure a real big fish, and yes taxes, language laws took Mtl from being mentioned in same breath as NY in Expo67 to where it is today which was caused by “a few separatists”.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Simple - small soft teams haven't worked out since around 1912

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
MB, Gainey, Gauthier, Andre Savard - no one was able to lure a real big fish, and yes taxes, language laws took Mtl from being mentioned in same breath as NY in Expo67 to where it is today which was caused by “a few separatists”.
yeah I know, it's no secret players look at who's the PM of the Prov/state where the team is and ask their political experts friends what could be the financial repercussions for them if something big were to happen on the local politics scene...

I mean, it should be no surprise to anyone that Tavares wouldnt have signed in TO had he known Ford would eventually be PM of that province...

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Injuries : none last season, missed the PO. this season the Habs were on pace for roughly the same amount of points before all the injuries... KK and Byron werent doing much before being injured anyway.

Medias : does not stop TO from acquiring players, scrubs like Tavares for example. Majority of Habs players do not understand a word spoken by the medias here, doubt they care all that much.
Language :they can ALL live in english if they want, downtown MTL you will hear way more english than french and other languages.
Taxes : Pay more for players, we're sitting on Millions on cap space right now, been a few years like that.
In the cap world taxes matter. Texas , Florida and Nevada have an advantage. Players desire to be anonymous particularly if they have families. Weather matters. Not much winter in Florida, Nevada and Texas. Montreal media is at best a pain and at worst unbearable. Times have changed since the 12 team league. Would you want to live in Edmonton, Winnipeg or Montreal if you did not have too? Not the full suite of reasons but these items do matter to players.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
yeah I know, it's no secret players look at who's the PM of the Prov/state where the team is and ask their political experts friends what could be the financial repercussions for them if something big were to happen on the local politics scene...

I mean, it should be no surprise to anyone that Tavares wouldnt have signed in TO had he known Ford would eventually be PM of that province...
Tavares was the exception not the rule - a perfect storm if you will, Isles org was an unknown and hometown team came knocking just as he hit UFA. Leafs never managed to sign anyone of that magnitude prior even though they tried many times, homeboy Stamkos told them to pound sand just as homeboys Briere & Vinny told Habs to pound sand.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Domi and Suzuki trades were brilliant. I cant get over how good the Suzuki trade was actually. It feels like a reverse Gomez.

The other two, not so much.

You can't look at the Shaw trade without considering what we gave up, which was a considerable return for a player who essentially gave us a great stretch of 60 games and not much else.

As for Drouin, how can anyone argue it hasnt been a net loss ? Every season up to now has been a loss. Sergachev is playing like a top pairing D this year. He plays both the right and left side. He's precisely what this team is missing.

Reactions: The Great Weise

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
We need to give him time before coming to a judgement, he does bring better options on the LD. There is just no way he is worse than Kulak/Reilly/Folin and costs nearly nothing to acquire. If anything we can try out the player for half a season before we chose to buy in the off season. I'm rooting for a solid pick up who happens to be a local boy!

Reactions: Vachon23

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Domi and Suzuki trades were brilliant. I cant get over how good the Suzuki trade was actually. It feels like a reverse Gomez.

The other two, not so much.

You can't look at the Shaw trade without considering what we gave up, which was a considerable return for a player who essentially gave us a great stretch of 60 games and not much else.

As for Drouin, how can anyone argue it hasnt been a net loss ? Every season up to now has been a loss. Sergachev is playing like a top pairing D this year. He plays both the right and left side. He's precisely what this team is missing.
Agree about the first Shaw trade. It was really bad considering we had a questionable prospect pool, Shaw was going to be expensive for a cap issued team like the Hawks, and we didn't even bother waiting until the picks to make the trade.

Sergachev for Drouin is probably a loss too, and yes we definitely need a Sergachev, but I think we needed a Drouin too.

Scandella trade was fine, it helps Fleury out a lot more than playing with Kulak/Reilly. It should have happened earlier though because at this point of the season, it seems like a desperate way to solve the defense for the millionth time. As much as I hate Bergevin, I'm not going to deny that he is a skilled trader. He pretty much won all his major trades besides the first Shaw trade and the Drouin trade. There are many other GMs who are better than Bergevin that have made significantly worse trades. The issue with Bergevin has always been vision, he is probably the worst in the league when it comes to that. I think it comes from the owner too, but most the moves make no sense. Refusing to address needs properly(how long has it been since we are looking for LHD?) and he won't fix the drafting and development to build through the draft.

Again with Scandella, it would make sense if we played him with Fleury to help out his game, retained 50% and flipped him for something better. I really doubt that happens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad