News Article: Marco Roy and Jackson Houck from 2013 not to be signed-back into draft

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think Marco has much leverage.

There's a good chance no one will draft him, so he'll probably have to sign an AHL only contract with another organization, play in Europe or play CIS.

Yes, obviously this wasn't his decision. Will be interesting to see if he gets drafted again, but odds are he doesn't.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^teams will likely pass on wasting a pick on Marco, they'll likely negotiate with him this summer like @smoker said for an AHL contract, but only if other teams are interested. he would still take up a valuable contract if signed with no guarantee he'll ever pan out.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Oh well, if he ain't a first rounder, we don't want em' on the team anyway! Seriously, since 2011 the only player picked outside the first round to do anything in the NHL is Tobias Reider, and he doesn't even play for us! I don't think the Oilers scouts actually plan the draft outside of the 1st round. Once they hit the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds they just start randomly pointing at a piece of paper with a bunch of names on it and call it a day.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Oh well, if he ain't a first rounder, we don't want em' on the team anyway! Seriously, since 2011 the only player picked outside the first round to do anything in the NHL is Tobias Reider, and he doesn't even play for us! I don't think the Oilers scouts actually plan the draft outside of the 1st round. Once they hit the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds they just start randomly pointing at a piece of paper with a bunch of names on it and call it a day.
You do realize that after first round 5 years is usual time it takes for prospects to show what they are. So you should be looking at 2010 and back not 2011 and forward.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You do realize that after first round 5 years is usual time it takes for prospects to show what they are. So you should be looking at 2010 and back not 2011 and forward.
Since 2015 the following players drafted outside the 1st that have played...
Marincin, Pitlick, Davidson. Not bad.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I saw a tweet from Gregor that said Roy is a UFA and will not go back into the draft. Not sure. I will see if I can find it.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Players outside the first 2 rounds have a very small chance making it to the NHL

Marincin and Pitlick were both 2nd rounders.

The Oilers have picked at or near the top of each round for a number of years. Their draft history after round one is horrendous. It's one reason we end up over paying for bottom 3 dmen and bottom 6 forwards, because we can't draft or develop them at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I saw a tweet from Gregor that said Roy is a UFA and will not go back into the draft. Not sure. I will see if I can find it.

I thought the same, but I think he's actually eligible for the draft.

Because of his birthday, he wouldn't be eligible for this draft, but because of being previously drafted, I think he is.

Lukas Sutter is an example of someone who was in the same situation.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Yakimov played a game as well, if I'm not mistake, I thought Musil did too?

Yep Musil played 4. Laurent Brossoit and Tyler Bunz played, as well as Anton Lander and Curtis Hamilton, and if you count him Jeff Petry. There's also Linus Omark and Teemu Hartikainen if you're going back farther than last year.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Marincin and Pitlick were both 2nd rounders.

The Oilers have picked at or near the top of each round for a number of years. Their draft history after round one is horrendous. It's one reason we end up over paying for bottom 3 dmen and bottom 6 forwards, because we can't draft or develop them at all.

The MacLowe dream - an entire team made up of 1st round picks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad