News Article: Marco Roy and Jackson Houck from 2013 not to be signed-back into draft

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Here's my beef with that draft.

1) MacT wanted Fucale. In other words MacT acknowledges he needs goaltending depth in his system.
2) Montreal took Fucale at the 36th overall position
3) MacT traded down, not once but twice.
4) Oilers passed on Jarry (WHL, Memorial Cup champion) Desroisers (QMJHL Champion) and Eric Comire (ask WPG fans what they think of him).
5) Oilers Draft Marco Roy
6) Oilers draft 0 goalies in the 2013 draft. Passing on Bibeau, Bartosak, Saros & Gudlevskis who all look pretty decent in the AHL right now.

This is why we have nothing in our system for goalies. I know its a crapshoot drafting one but at some point you have to draft someone. We need goalies!

Oilers are simply bad at identifying good talent. Another waste of a 2nd rounder to add to the pile of crap in recent years.

so MacT felt that after Fucale it was a goaltending crapshoot.
draft history supports this.

please state the entire picture by telling us who we drafted with all the picks.

other leagues mean big zippo when looking at goalies. there is the nhl and then nothing.
this year there will be, like many years, two teams in the finals with average goaltending.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
hunt is a beast in the A. thats important to make that team play meaningful hockey

If Hunt is willing to come back I'd definitely sign him, he is real good in the AHL he makes that team a lot more competitive and really helps the powerplay down there quite a bit.

I agree about cutting the rest of those guys, I'd try signing Ewanyk to an AHL only deal though he's got good character and provides good depth to our AHL squad and can help any guys who get stuck in the ECHL out.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If Hunt is willing to come back I'd definitely sign him, he is real good in the AHL he makes that team a lot more competitive and really helps the powerplay down there quite a bit.

I agree about cutting the rest of those guys, I'd try signing Ewanyk to an AHL only deal though he's got good character and provides good depth to our AHL squad and can help any guys who get stuck in the ECHL out.

This For all the flack Hunt took in the NHL, he's a stud in the AHL and we still need Bakersfield to continue winning.

I dont think there'd be an issue for Ewanyk. He's from Edmonton IIRC and he probably knows he's lower in the depth charts as it is anyway.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's pretty funny to look through the 2011 draft (not the Marco Roy one). In the 3rd and 4th round the only guys that have played in the NHL are the small guys aside from Adam Lowry but he produced well in his draft season. The only ones to have played more than 10 games in the NHL are Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Johnny Gaudreau, Tobias Rieder, Reid Boucher, Vincent Trocheck, Nick Cousins, Andy Andreoff, Nick Shore, Klas Dahlbeck and Josh Leivo. Only the last two guys are over 6'0 and one of them is a defenseman so...

Andrew Shaw was taken in the same draft but not until the 5th round. Seems weird considering he put up 54 points in 66 games in his draft year in comparison to our 3rd (!) round pick Travis Ewanyk who had 27 in 72 and only 5 in 42 the year before. It's not just the Oilers but other teams too, I just don't understand how you take a coke machine like that before a smaller guy who actually knows how to play hockey. It's really telling honestly, because the most successful guys from that 3rd round to 5th round is in fact the small guys. Trocheck, Gaudreau, Shaw, Rieder and Pageau. None of them are over 5'11. This size bias has to go and I really hope the new Oilers regime has a better draft philosophy than we've had in the past.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
hunt is a beast in the A. thats important to make that team play meaningful hockey

My thought process is next year we're looking at having LaLeggia, Nurse, Betker, Musil, Simpson, Oesterle, Davidson, as well as guys like Gernat and other AHL only guys.

Frankly I'd rather prospects with NHL upside like LaLeggia get the playing and powerplay time.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Andrew Shaw was taken in the same draft but not until the 5th round. Seems weird considering he put up 54 points in 66 games in his draft year in comparison to our 3rd (!) round pick Travis Ewanyk who had 27 in 72 and only 5 in 42 the year before.

Shaw was drafted as a 19 year old; he had already been passed over twice when Chicago took him. In his actual draft year he had 17 points. 54 points in 66 games is not at all impressive for a 19yo in the CHL... in fact Roy's stats are a little better. But Chicago saw something and they were right.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Probably means nothing, but the Oilers did retweet Marc Olivier Roy's tweet about saying he was proud of the season the Ramparts had.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He had injuries before he was drafted as well.

Another instance of "he was hurt so we aren't sure, but I bet if he was healthy he would be ranked higher!" Whoever made this pick should be fired, there were multiple players that had legitimate pedigree that we passed on to pick this guy, including a bunch of goalies as pointed out above. That's ok though, because we got Nagelvoort and Bouchard last year. :facepalm:
What I'm going to say isn't draft related but the philosophy of "he was hurt so we aren't sure but we bet he'd be impressive if he was healthy" has been a mantra for the people running this team forever. And it drove me nuts. Ethan Moreau became a legend sitting on the injured list, year after year. When he was finally able to play consistently he was a joke. Sure glad we have new management now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
^for me, this sums up Stu MacGregor and his staff to a tee! they just aren't good enough at judging how players will develop in the future, and this is especially noticeable from the 2nd round on. plus, to me, when they take players like Moroz and Ewanyk too early in the draft when they really should have been taken later, this hurts us as well because some of the players they passed on are now playing in the NHL while we continue to wait for the players we took!

and i agree that continuing to trade down in the 2013 draft with the #37 pick, when a top goalie like Jarry was still there, or a big, point producing, *right shooting* d-man like Madison Bowey was still there, was annoying, but i am willing to cut Stu some slack here because we might have gotten some good and useful players out of it for the very near future in Yakimov, Slepyshev, and Platzer. i still feel that Stu and his staff, as well as coat tail rider Scott Howson, who's apparently involved in this upcoming draft as well, will all be gone after it's over and PC will hire his own staff.
Do we know for sure if Yakimov and Slepyshev were Stu's picks? I always assumed there were Mac T's picks. He had spent a bunch of time scouting in Russia that spring. I figured he picked them to make the trip worthwhile.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
this. in the first two rounds you are still swinging for the fences. We've now heard that the Musil pick was all Tambo. He was adamant they pick a Dman with their second pick, despite the scouts indicating there were better fowards (Jenner, Saad) still available. Mact's philosophy on drafting was superior to Tambo's 'play it safe' approach.

To be fair, Musil was tracking pretty well until he got concussed at the WJC. After that, it's been downhill ever since. Same with Gernat when he had that leg(?) injury with the Oil Kings. When he came back, he never looked same iirc. Shame how injuries can completely derail some kids' careers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Shaw was drafted as a 19 year old; he had already been passed over twice when Chicago took him. In his actual draft year he had 17 points. 54 points in 66 games is not at all impressive for a 19yo in the CHL... in fact Roy's stats are a little better. But Chicago saw something and they were right.

Ah ye, my bad but still, they took a smaller guy with even more risk than normal and got rewarded for it. I'd rather take Tkachev (whose draft situation is very similar to Shaw's, albeit quite different players) for instance than some 6'5 coke machine with a 5th round pick.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So we pissed away Cogliano.

Nice.

At least we got Teddy out of that top line from '08.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well, guess they felt that Loiseau on the AHL deal was a better fit.

Wonder if Winquist is out too? Or was his deal 2 yrs?

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
So do we take him again with a late round pick or is it not worth it at this point? Are there any other intriguing prospects that are going back into the draft?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't agree with letting Roy go. I would have liked to see what he could do in the ECHL/AHL before turf ing him. Not to mention he's a 2nd round pick

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think some of us are jumping to the wrong conculsion that it was the oilers decision not sign either one--If I was Roy and I saw the depth the oilers finally have at center--I would think twice before signing

Nuge, LD, Lander, Soon to be Mcjesus, Bogdan Yakimov, Kyle Platzer, Greg Chase

Lander at 24 is the oldest--while we love the fact we now have depth at center---not sure how the players involved in it do

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think some of us are jumping to the wrong conculsion that it was the oilers decision not sign either one--If I was Roy and I saw the depth the oilers finally have at center--I would think twice before signing

Nuge, LD, Lander, Soon to be Mcjesus, Bogdan Yakimov, Kyle Platzer, Greg Chase

Lander at 24 is the oldest--while we love the fact we now have depth at center---not sure how the players involved in it do

I don't think Marco has much leverage.

There's a good chance no one will draft him, so he'll probably have to sign an AHL only contract with another organization, play in Europe or play CIS.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
So do we take him again with a late round pick or is it not worth it at this point? Are there any other intriguing prospects that are going back into the draft?

man, this team's fans! Dubnyk and Petry are let go, fans want them back. Roy and Houck are let go, fans want them back. let's move on shall we? :shakehead

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Do we know for sure if Yakimov and Slepyshev were Stu's picks? I always assumed there were Mac T's picks. He had spent a bunch of time scouting in Russia that spring. I figured he picked them to make the trip worthwhile.

not sure how it works? i am assuming the GM says "this is the kind of players i want you to find for me" and Stu and his staff search for them. i also assume that when the GM himself scouts, he is likely to take the players he scouted if they are still there when it's time for the Oil to pick. Yak and Slep could very well be picks that MacT himself wanted, hence all the trading down in the 2013 draft. if this is actually what happened, i will give MacT a ton of credit for doing a good job with scouting these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00