News Article: Marchessault: “Franco or not, Montreal needs the best GM possible.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It would if Molson stayed with the same position. He's called the VP but we all know he's the GM in Molson mind's. the GM will probably be for a while just a french puppet so media will shut it up.
Molson is this evil mastermind now... my my!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It would if Molson stayed with the same position. He's called the VP but we all know he's the GM in Molson mind's. the GM will probably be for a while just a french puppet so media will shut it up.

I very much doubt Gorton would want to surround himself with a yes-man, based on what is being said about him. It’s to his advantage and for the benefit of the organization that the GM be someone who is highly competent and can defend an opposing viewpoint when the situation arises. I think the whole puppet thing demeans Gorton before he has even been given a chance to show how he’ll exercise his functions.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I very much doubt Gorton would want to surround himself with a yes-man, based on what is being said about him. It’s to his advantage and for the benefit of the organization that the GM be someone who is highly competent and can defend an opposing viewpoint when the situation arises. I think the whole puppet thing demeans Gorton before he has even been given a chance to show how he’ll exercise his functions.
Don't think it's gonna be a yes man , but it's gonna be someone with atleast some experience in the nhl and who's not ran by emotions. A.K.A not Darche or Roy. Same goes for Brière no experience at all in the AHL nor the NHL.

The GM that Gorton will hire , will be in reality ''AGM'' for a while atleast until the AGM in question is ready while Gorton will look at him go. Im sure Gorton will probably get 2-3 more people to surround them.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't think it's gonna be a yes man , but it's gonna be someone with atleast some experience in the nhl and who's not ran by emotions. A.K.A not Darche or Roy. Same goes for Brière no experience at all in the AHL nor the NHL.

Might be someone who will have to be groomed — I think it also depends on when he pulls the trigger. I believe that typically, there is a better slate of candidates in the off season. Will he wait that long?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Might be someone who will have to be groomed — I think it also depends on when he pulls the trigger. I believe that typically, there is a better slate of candidates in the off season. Will he wait that long?
Tonight he watched the AHL team , tomorrow he will watch the NHL team. After that he will make some move up and move down and they will probably start doing questions with Molson and people who are interested will be interviewed , I think We will have a GM before Mid January

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You just don't get what im saying.
no no, I get it.

Gorton is not really the team Pres, he is actually the GM. the guy that will be hired as GM is a dumbass who will pretend to be the GM to fool the medias, medias who will not realise all the decisions are being made by the same person all the time.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
no no, I get it.

Gorton is not really the team Pres, he is actually the GM. the guy that will be hired as GM is a dumbass who will pretend to be the GM to fool the medias, medias who will not realise all the decisions are being made by the same person all the time.
not a dumbass but he will not be taking the big decisions by himself for atleast 3 years. He will have his opinion for moves but at the end Gorton will be the one saying yes or no for those 3 years and that's something the ORG won't say to the media.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

The GM that Gorton will hire , will be in reality ''AGM'' for a while atleast until the AGM in question is ready while Gorton will look at him go. Im sure Gorton will probably get 2-3 more people to surround them.
actually, if you're looking for some experience in the NHL and not too emotionnal, Darche fits the bill.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
not a dumbass but he will not be taking the big decisions by himself for atleast 3 years. He will have his opinion for moves but at the end Gorton will be the one saying yes or no for those 3 years and that's something the ORG won't say to the media.
So what you're saying is, the guy who will be interviewed are better off keeping their actual job.

as for the org not saying it to the medias, come on mate! there's TV/radio channels who are pretty much talking Habs 24/7 so yeah...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tonight he watched the AHL team , tomorrow he will watch the NHL team. After that he will make some move up and move down and they will probably start doing questions with Molson and people who are interested will be interviewed , I think We will have a GM before Mid January

It would be ideal that the right individual be found early so that the scouting contingents can then get their overhaul way ahead of the trading deadline and the draft. I’m assuming that scouting improvements will happen after the new GM is named.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know why you guys need to convince yourself that Gorton will be the GM or something... cause he may be involved in the day to day ops ? cause he might take someone with less experience under his wing ?

really ??

Molson had 0 experience in the NHL and (as Pres) it did not stop him from sharing his views and it did not stop him from talking to his GM almost every day... and I'm pretty sure in every org it works that way, Pres and GM talk to each other all the time, share opinions and everything.

So yeah! Gorton giving his opinion, sharing experience and al' is not some grand scheme to fool the medias and the teams fans, it's just Gorton doing his job as team pres.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
actually, if you're looking for some experience in the NHL and not too emotionnal, Darche fits the bill.
I don't know if you are french canadian but if you watched Darche at l'antichambre , he is alot emotional. He's also a big lover of Carey Price and called him his friend. If he ever gets the job he needs to realize that Carey Price might have to be traded. I just hope we find a darkhorse as a new GM , a guy barely people named yet.
So what you're saying is, the guy who will be interviewed are better off keeping their actual job.

as for the org not saying it to the medias, come on mate! there's TV/radio channels who are pretty much talking Habs 24/7 so yeah...
Ya they are media talking about 24/7 about habs and the same media who said that Bergevin was a great GM and he was not the problem before he got fired. Those lovely media who licked Bergevin boots for a decade and can't ask real questions.

Im just saying this will be a learning curve for the new GM whoever it is and even tho some GMs around the league have 100% control of the team even with a VP. Gorton will be implicated compared to other teams.

We'll see , can't wait for the first moves , some players need to be traded and not just the ufas.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
It would be ideal that the right individual be found early so that the scouting contingents can then get their overhaul way ahead of the trading deadline and the draft. I’m assuming that scouting improvements will happen after the new GM is named.
Indeed the earlier the better but they need to interview really anyone.
But god I would make a pitch for Madden JR as a head scout and throw money at him. Name him Head scout and assistant GM and let's roll with it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Indeed the earlier the better but they need to interview really anyone.
But god I would make a pitch for Madden JR as a head scout and throw money at him. Name him Head scout and assistant GM and let's roll with it

The guy’s track record is impressive. However, would the Ducks give permission for an interview involving a lateral move position? If so, the X-Factor that may help is the fact that Madden resides in Quebec. We’ll see.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
The guy’s track record is impressive. However, would the Ducks give permission for an interview involving a lateral move position? If so, the X-Factor that may help is the fact that Madden resides in Quebec. We’ll see.
I mean we could give him some sort of bigger role and perhaps he wants a change of scenary. Cost nothing to ask. Wouldn't be surprised to be honest if Bergevin were to be named next GM in Anaheim.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I mean we could give him some sort of bigger role and perhaps he wants a change of scenary. Cost nothing to ask. Wouldn't be surprised to be honest if Bergevin were to be named next GM in Anaheim.
The one proper place Montreal should use its money is management type hirings. 1.5x or more of your current salary to do the same job and potentially turn around the best hockey franchise ever and if you manage a Cup you go down in history. Montreal better attract the best.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Why don't you make a fuss about it when their names are Schlemko, King, Folin, Weise, Lernout, Froese or Logan Shaw?? But when their names are Paquette, it's "obviously" because of the language they speak and it really bothers you, right?
How can it bother me and I am french ?
What bothers me is how they hide behind it to bring du talent inférieur !
All guys you named sucked too and I had huge issues with them . But we are not talking about how shit mb. We are talking of them hiding behind getting french players and not getting the good ones .

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You have a lot to say for someone who doesnt care one bit, you know'... ;)

Gorton being an anglophone is a fact. Gorton being the best candidate is an opinion.

At the end of the day, the next GM will speak decent french, wether it's someone experienced or someone completely green does not change that fact. The team Pres speaking english only (like knowing only one language is a plus) does not change that fact either.

Personally, I think Molson isnt managing it well, he should do his hiring without mentionning language, that way french speaking fans have what they want with their french speaking GM, and english speaking fans get what they want with their new GM being the best available.

Being one of the best candidate is a fact cause everyone in hockey world agree he was at the top of every list......unlike people like Roy, Darche or Briere who are not on anyone's list, not even at the bottom of those list.

The next GM will speak french.....but the next GM won't controk the future of this team, Gorton will.

And by the way, the Team's president speak french,it's still Molson.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Youi don't know what experience is......Madden is one them....Darche will be one of them, he don't have any yet.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
31 ? are you sure ? do you really think TML hiring Ontario people at key position 99% of the time, it's just coincidence ?

FWIW, I live here and listen to sports radio. It isn’t discussed.

Coincidence? Maybe, but there are also simply a lot more Ontarians who’ve played at the NHL level. If those players choose to go into management, there you have it.

I also don’t know how’s education in general going in QC, but higher education in Ontario is very competitive (my son is in grade 12 and is applying now). Hence, Ontario churns out a lot of university graduates. Assuming clubs are seeking university grads for office jobs, there’s a large pool there. I am not saying we got more grads or smarter people than Quebec, but maybe QC students (or ex-players) don’t have an interest in hockey management.

Its decades late, but at least your premier started the review process of hockey Quebec. I won’t get into the politics of it, but from a hockey standpoint, QC simply NEEDS more people, more kids interested or given the access to play (hockey is $$$).

As for the Leafs, I’ve talked this over with friends here, hypothetically if the Leafs are dumped again in the first round and Dubas is fired… if a guy like Brisebois were available and wanted to come, the Leafs would not hesitate to hire him.

It’s all about resources and the pool of candidates. The Raptors have a visionary running their team, who is an allophone… he is worshipped here. I’ve said it before, you have yahoos in Toronto also who play the language card, but they are very much a minority and not particularly vocal.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad