News Article: Marchessault: “Franco or not, Montreal needs the best GM possible.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Franco ou pas, il faut le meilleur DG disponible à Mtl, dit Marchessault

Machine-translation:
Coach, GM or whatever, you want the best person available because at the end of the day you want to have the best possible team on the ice. Whether it's a guy who speaks French, English or Spanish, you have to take the best person available and you have to do everything to improve your organization. On equal terms between the candidates, French is the icing on the sundae, but I think you have to make your mark no matter the language.

I agree.

Guy has earned a whole lot of respect.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Reactions: expy

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
You want the Habs to stop hiring francophone GMs: stop listening to any audio involving the GM, whether it's a press conference or an interview at a golf tournament or other useless stuff.

Reactions: dgeezus

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The Habs won't compete with the best teams until they make the decision that the best teams do: Hiring the best possible people for the job. Until then, we are truly screwed.
Beer sales is what prevents Geoff Molson from hiring the best GM and head coach available.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Everyone complaining about bilingual GM yet no one can come up with a proposal. I was answered Jim Rutherford and I think it would be terrible.

Reactions: Toene

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This team is the only one who, apparently, isn't always hiring the best available. Which is statistically impossible in a 32 teams league.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I must have said it 1000 in this forum.

Our french speaking only criteria is DUMB to every single players, coachs, execs, scouts and everyone who are actually in the hockey world. It's a sports competition, not a political statement.

How can top UFA takes us seriously when we don't hire the best people to do the job?
It hurts the perception of the market when there's so much emphasis on a language that most people in the NHL don't speak.

It makes it even more intimidating on top of the amount of pressure and attention that the players have to deal with.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I must have said it 1000 in this forum.

Our french speaking only criteria is DUMB to every single players, coachs, execs, scouts and everyone who are actually in the hockey world. It's a sports competition, not a political statement.

How can top UFA takes us seriously when we don't hire the best people to do the job?

Can the best candidate available (a BS concept in and of itself) possibly speak French?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I would love to see the rigorous, infaillable tests that GMs are submitted to to determine the best candidate and which anglophone GM aced it but was disregarded in favor of a weaker, francophone score.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl and bcv

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Seattle had plenty of options, franco, anglo, female, black. Etc. And they finnally selected Ron francis. Why, they didnt choose the best availlable? Btw, Im really disapointed by francis management right now. His expansion been a fiasco. If Molson wants the best francophone, it’s up to him. There is plenty of competent guy who speak french on the market, I have no doubt about that.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
When they'll hire a french speaking GM, people here will automatically assume he was not the best candidate available and it was a "political" choice... same when they hire a minority in a police department and there's a word for that type of mentality...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Can the best candidate available (a BS concept in and of itself) possibly speak French?

Yes sure......

But when I'm hearing names (before Gorton) like Damphousse, Roy, Briere, Darche and what not....those shouldn't even be interviewed or being entertain as a possibility, cause they are not the best candidates possibles, not even close

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
A reminder that Marc Bergevin was actually an outstanding candidate to become a GM. He didn't work out, but on paper he was a good hire at the time.

Similarly with Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey. They were reasonable hires.

MB was not a great candidate at the time IMO. An outstanding GM prospect perhaps but guy had 1 year as assistant GM and we hired him. He was very raw and it showed. He got better in the 10 years he's been here but he was not the perfect fit at that point in time.

Reactions: Mr Mom

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
A reminder that Marc Bergevin was actually an outstanding candidate to become a GM. He didn't work out, but on paper he was a good hire at the time.

Similarly with Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey. They were reasonable hires.

He had 6 months experience as assistant-gm????
6 MONTHS

Most candidates spend at least 5 to 10 years in that role before getting the job and normally it also comes with another 5 to 10 years as execs in the NHL........Bergevin wasn't an outstanding candidates at all.

Look at Brisebois, it took him 20 years as an exec\asssitant-gm before getting a shot.

Reactions: Mr Mom

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes sure......

But when I'm hearing names (before Gorton) like Damphousse, Roy, Briere, Darche and what not....those shouldn't even be interviewed or being entertain as a possibility, cause they are not the best candidates possibles, not even close

Damphousse, Roy. Totally agree. Especially Damphousse
Brière, Darche... Well, They do have the profile of interesting candidates, with Brière having apparently been offered the GM role with Philly a few years ago. Frankly, Brière is a guy I'd really see to see in charge of the Rocket (and thus be given the AGM title). I think it's just a bit too early for being GM.

What's interesting here is also :
- If a candidate is so interesting, why is he even a candidate? As in, why isn't he already a GM?
- If a candidate is so far and away the best, why would he go work with a team for which the PoHO will have more responsibilities than the average PoHO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad