Marchand is currently top 5 for the Hart. Change my Mind.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I knew this was what was gonna do you in. Doesnt address the argument just takes the top bit and tries to save a little face. I argue that he's the exception to that rule and that's why the equivalency is false, and yet instead of addressing that you scamper away. Classic.

Dude, you made the thread titled "change my mind" and ignore literally everything that shows that your opinion is wrong. The only person who needs to "save face" is you, because you've been proven wrong in this entire thread and refuse to admit it.

I'll sum it up nice and easy: you're a massive homer and that's the only reason that you think your argument is legitimate. Your case for Marchand getting the Hart sucks, that's what I'm getting at. It's like arguing with a flat earther, I don't need to prove that the earth is round to a flat earther, because it's absolutely asinine to say the earth is flat. You can believe whatever you want, but facts are facts. We know how the Hart is awarded, you refusing to admit that and just repeating yourself over and over again doesn't invalidate that. He's not an exception to the rule, and you need to make a much better claim that he is if you think he is. This entire thing:

My case for Marchand is that we haven't seen a case like this in a while, because I don't think anyone's had this strong of an all around year despite missing the games that he has. Missing those games has led to his falling behind in the scoring races, true, but what i'm saying is that he's the exception, not the rule. His resume may lack a carrying attribute, something that sticks out to the eye the way that Hall's streak has, but I just think that there's nobody out there with less weaknesses than Marchand, and I think that goes a long way in determining a players value.

When I think of value to a team, I would, for example, take a Kopitar over an Ovechkin 9/10. This is because a responsible player on both sides of the rink with elite level talent adds more value by not only not being a liability in the defensive zone, but being able to cover for players who do commit errors. Ovechkin and Kucherov types are flashy and come at you with the big stats, sure, but those teams dont make it very far because when it matters most your game needs to be great in all aspects. Kopitars win championships. Ovechkins dont.

Is not a justification for the Hart. It's the ramblings of a homer. Your opinion doesn't override facts. If you think it does, then your arguments become absolutely worthless. There is no worth in someone's argument if the person values opinions more than facts.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
Are you joking me right now? Are you actually serious? Good lord.

I'm done here, if you're still arguing against this at this point, you're just going to refuse to change your mind. You're dismissing actual facts for your opinions, because you don't want to admit you're wrong. You're dismissing how the Hart is actually awarded, which determines if Marchand is worthy of the Hart, because it doesn't fit your narrative. You can have whatever opinion you want, but the facts are facts. If you want to decide if Marchand is worthy for the Hart, look at how the Hart is awarded. Those are the criteria established for the Hart. You're grasping at any other straw you can reach at, while ignoring that every support point you've given for Marchand winning the Hart doesn't win any player the Hart. He doesn't have a case, and you're sure as hell not giving an argument to convince anyone in here. This post basically sums up what you've done in this thread:

You literally hadn't addressed my arguments regarding the importance of a rounded player at all through this thread. If you can tell me why a player like Kucherov is more valuable to his team than a Marchand then I will concede this point to you. But I think that'll be extremely hard to argue.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Feb 1, 2018
Dude, you made the thread titled "change my mind" and ignore literally everything that shows that your opinion is wrong. The only person who needs to "save face" is you, because you've been proven wrong in this entire thread and refuse to admit it.

I'll sum it up nice and easy: you're a massive homer and that's the only reason that you think your argument is legitimate. Your case for Marchand getting the Hart sucks, that's what I'm getting at. It's like arguing with a flat earther, I don't need to prove that the earth is round to a flat earther, because it's absolutely asinine to say the earth is flat. You can believe whatever you want, but facts are facts. We know how the Hart is awarded, you refusing to admit that and just repeating yourself over and over again doesn't invalidate that. He's not an exception to the rule, and you need to make a much better claim that he is if you think he is.

We may know how the Hart is awarded, but maybe a better title is: Marchand is one of the 5 most valuable players in the league, change my mind.

If you can tell me how Kucherov is more valuable to his team than Marchand, how Malkin is more valuable to his team, I would really love to hear it. Do you really believe that a one-dimensional player like Kucherov has more value to his team than someone who plays in all phases like Bergeron or Marchand?

And i'm really not that big of a homer, honestly. My conviction in this scenario may make it seem that way, but to me it just feels like I measure a players value with more importance on some things rather than others. I'm open to an argument as to why that's not the case, but other arguments have mostly been people pointing at the points race and saying "theres why"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You literally hadn't addressed my arguments regarding the importance of a rounded player at all through this thread. If you can tell me why a player like Kucherov is more valuable to his team than a Marchand then I will concede this point to you. But I think that'll be extremely hard to argue.

Read the flat earth comment I made in that post. It's not my job to disprove your dumb claims, it's your job to appropriately defend those claims. All of this:

My case for Marchand is that we haven't seen a case like this in a while, because I don't think anyone's had this strong of an all around year despite missing the games that he has. Missing those games has led to his falling behind in the scoring races, true, but what i'm saying is that he's the exception, not the rule. His resume may lack a carrying attribute, something that sticks out to the eye the way that Hall's streak has, but I just think that there's nobody out there with less weaknesses than Marchand, and I think that goes a long way in determining a players value.

When I think of value to a team, I would, for example, take a Kopitar over an Ovechkin 9/10. This is because a responsible player on both sides of the rink with elite level talent adds more value by not only not being a liability in the defensive zone, but being able to cover for players who do commit errors. Ovechkin and Kucherov types are flashy and come at you with the big stats, sure, but those teams dont make it very far because when it matters most your game needs to be great in all aspects. Kopitars win championships. Ovechkins dont.

Is not a justification for someone winning the Hart. It's your opinion, which is absolutely worthless if you ignore facts. It's not my job to disprove your homer ramblings, it's your job to actually back up your claims with facts. You're not doing that, you're basically just saying "Marchand deserves the Hart because he's good" and ignoring every other argument.

We may know how the Hart is awarded, but maybe a better title is: Marchand is one of the 5 most valuable players in the league, change my mind.

If you can tell me how Kucherov is more valuable to his team than Marchand, how Malkin is more valuable to his team, I would really love to hear it. Do you really believe that a one-dimensional player like Kucherov has more value to his team than someone who plays in all phases like Bergeron or Marchand?

Yes, easily. You don't win games by being good defensively, you win games by scoring goals. You can win games with no defense and all offense, you can't win games with no offense and all defense. This is a classic 2013 Toews vs Crosby discussion. Marchand being better defensively (and I don't think he's better defensively than Malkin, you classifying Malkin as bad defensively severely hurts your argument) doesn't negate the big point difference between the two. Kucherov having 20 more points means that he impacted 20 more goals than Marchand. How many goals does Marchand impact defensively over Kucherov? It's definitely not that many.

You need to score goals to win. You don't need to prevent goals to win. The Penguins are a perfect example of this, they won the last 2 cups by scoring over 3 goals a game with offensive weapons like Malkin, Crosby and Kessel. People really overrate defense on this site, teams don't win by being good defensively. The best team in terms of goals against per game hasn't won the cup since 2012.

Last edited:

SunDevilHockeyFan

Feb 1, 2018
Read the flat earth comment I made in that post. It's not my job to disprove your dumb claims, it's your job to appropriately defend those claims. All of this:

I don't know if you knew this, but this is actually a fallacy as well. Just because you believe a statement to be wrong, doesn't mean its wrong just by saying it is. I believe it's called "Appeal to the stone". This isn't a case where burden of proof is a thing, because we're debating opinions, not arguing against a scientific theory like flat earth. Without at least a semi-decent argument with stats or at least an intelligent background this is just you being unable to refute my point. If you really had something to come back with, you would've done it because its not like it would make you look worse, nor I better.

Is not a justification for someone winning the Hart. It's your opinion, which is absolutely worthless if you ignore facts. It's not my job to disprove your homer ramblings, it's your job to actually back up your claims with facts. You're not doing that, you're basically just saying "Marchand deserves the Hart because he's good" and ignoring every other argument.

Actually, I have been providing concrete stats and examples to support my claims, while I haven't seen any from you. Case in point, you have been unable to tell me why you'd call a player like Kucherov more valuable than a Marchand, while I've explained my position pretty clearly. Mainly that when you have a shutdown player on the ice, the opponent is less likely to score. Marchand not insanely less talented defensively than Bergeron, although no other forward really compares to Bergeron. Its why their line is that much better than Kopitar's line. Marchand has a +32 plus/minus. That line didn't have a 5v5 goal against for a really long time. He's a big reason why their penalty kill is still top 10 even without Bergeron. The shot differential with him on the ice is absolutely jaw dropping, big reason why the Bruins are #2 in the league. He takes away opportunities from the other team, has elite puck possesion skills that are a nightmare for defenses around the league. And that's just what he does on defense. By the way, Marchand has 51 takeaways on 53 games, Crosby, the best player in the world, has 38 in 70. Kopitar has 43 in 68. He is MASTERCLASS at ending opponents chances.[/QUOTE]

Yes, easily. You don't win games by being good defensively, you win games by scoring goals. You can win games with no defense and all offense, you can't win games with no offense and all defense. This is a classic 2013 Toews vs Crosby discussion. Marchand being better defensively (and I don't think he's better defensively than Malkin, you classifying Malkin as bad defensively severely hurts your argument) doesn't negate the big point difference between the two. Kucherov having 20 more points means that he impacted 20 more goals than Marchand. How many goals does Marchand impact defensively over Kucherov? It's definitely not that many.

Looking at the stats, Malkin is actually closer to Marchand than I thought before I checked. He does benefit from being on the second line, which gives him favorable matchups and ensures he's pretty much always the best player on the ice, but credit where credit is due. However, Marchand has the higher DPS and Plus Minus so i'd say he takes the edge.

But you say that you can win games with all offense and not with all defense. When has professional hockey ever been either? Hockey is a complete game but barring the occasional blowout an elite defense with average scoring will go farther than an elite offense with an average defense. Compare last season's Washington to last season's Nashville to see that.

You need to score goals to win. You don't need to prevent goals to win. The Penguins are a perfect example of this, they won the last 2 cups by scoring over 3 goals a game with offensive weapons like Malkin, Crosby and Kessel.

You're acting like Pittsburgh had a bad defense. Their Goals against wasn't terrible, and sure their feature is their offense but their defense was definetly above the league average. Not exactly elite, but when your offense is that good that's a trade off you can make. They were still on aggregate a better team than Nashville though. If Nashville had as much defensive talent as Pittsburgh did offensively, they would've taken the series.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
How on earth do you not see a difference? Marchand is producing 1.30 points per game, good for fourth in the league. Pastarnak is at .96, not even in the same neighbourhood and Bergeron is at .98. How do you think that is "not that much of a difference?" It's a huge difference.
Exactly. It's +32.7% over the next best points producer (Bergeron 0.98).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This entire thread is filled with really dumb jokes like this. People give their arguments, I explain why I don't agree and give a counterargument, and then all you see are people accusing me of being ignorant/dumb. This board is toxic as hell, especially when Marchand gets brought up, so I guess I shouldn't have expected to get a decent conversation out of it.

Well, thanks for responding. It was just the unnecessary “change my mind” part. It starts things off on the wrong foot. For the record, I have him in the top 5, not at the same level as Kucherov and MacKinnon but about the same as Hall.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Marchand can have a trophy honored after him for the player most obsessed over and in the heads of the fans.

We could call it the rat trophy!

Except that Marchand and “honour” should never be used together in the same sentence

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We could call it the rat trophy!

Except that Marchand and “honour” should never be used together in the same sentence
The Trophy that looks like a rat is fine as long as it's presented to a player fans are obsessed with

Matt Barzal gets my vote for this year

Nice player but a guy who's -29 in Islanders losses not a good look

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Eh I'd say he has a chance to and he's probably got a 2-3 year window to do it. If he plays at this level without injury and without suspension for a year all the stats suggest he should.

Too many "ifs and/or buts". Obviously I cannot say for certain. Nobody can. But reality tells me he will never win it. Even if he's close I cannot see a reality where the voters vote for him over a Malkin, Crosby, Ovi, McDavid ... etc. The NHL would have to have an off year and he put up magical numbers for him to win.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
MVPs dont cheapshot someone then fake an injury so you dont have to face that team. Look at that, Marchand is back playing tonight. COWARD

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I’m not saying he should win It, but he should certainly be in the discussion, right? These last two years have been his “breakout” years and the Bruins have re emerged as a result.

Marchand should be in the top 5 for Hart voting. Change my mind.

Reputation is not an acceptable argument

no he's not.

change mine.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Given to the player most valuable to his team. He would definitely be in the running for top five if he didn't do so many stupid things that cost his team on the ice. Between the fines, penalties, and suspensions he hurts his team. The team can't count on him and if they can't do that then he can't be the most valuable. Amazing player that's shockingly stupid.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Now 6 goals and 8 assists 14 points in last 6 games (all without bergeron)

I guess we can only consider guys who are hot down the stretch for mvp... guys whose team wins... guys who arent relying on another super star to help them

If hes not top 5 for hart this year, it will be criminal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad