Pre-Game Talk: March 9th vs Washington

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Despite my somewhat pessimistic thread about realistic scenarios if the Oilers miss the playoffs, I still think they have a reasonable (like, 45-50%) chance to make it in. A coin-flip, if you will. But it's clearly imperative that injured players start coming back soon.

I feel a little sorry for Woodcroft because (being the Oilers) they brought him in at the worst possible time -- right when the schedule was about to get super-tough, when there were no practice days, and when injuries were just starting to mount. Fans are all over Woodcroft now for the two failed Smith starts, but I think those were more like last-gasp attempts to pacify the manager's expectation, and that's all over now. Likewise, fans point out that Woody is over-playing the big guys again now, but I think that's only because of the ridiculous amount of injuries now. That will (I expect) stop once Nuge and Bouch and Barrie and Puljujarvi are back. There's also clearly something wrong with the health / energy level of some guys, notably Nurse and McDavid in the last game. So, lots of bad luck for Woodcroft, as Holland basically threw him under the bus.

Washington are a beatable team, actually. Edmonton snuck out a win against them recently (largely thanks to RNH, who had maybe his best game of the season against them). After a 14-3-5 start, the Capitals are 16-15-4 since, which is actually below .500 in real terms.

I think we can conclude, however, that if the Oilers get 0 points in this next one, the season is probably over.

Here's how I felt in my mind going into the Montreal game:
-- Current chances to make playoffs = 65%

Here's how I felt in my mind going into the Calgary game:
-- Current chances to make playoffs = 55%-60%

How's here I feel after the Calgary game:
-- Current chances to make playoffs = 45%-50%

If they lose to Washington, my expectation drops to around 38%-40%, which means, barring miracles, the season is probably over. But if they win and starting getting players back, my expectation maybe jumps back to 50%.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I am at 60% they make the playoffs.
GifMeme 08032022191653.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they had a decent goalie, like even a James Reimer tier guy I think they would have a reasonable shot at making it.

But Koskinen? He's gonna be leaned on now to be the starter and play a bunch of games in a short schedule and be reliable?

Zero f***ing faith in that scenario, lol. I've seen him fold under the pressure of being the starter too often, he needs like 3 days off in between every start to be at his best.

All the other teams vying for spots have better goaltending, so they are running on even ground, the Oilers are running uphill. It's not a fair race.

If they had aquired like Reimer or Holtby a month ago, they probably also have 4-6 additional points which could be all the difference in the world, we just pissed away a ton of points trying to get "Schmiddy going".

Reactions: saucesaitl

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I don't want either them to win any award. I'm tired of cheering for individual glory for players. Go win a playoff series or two. Hell, even a playoff game win would be a novel concept.

I dont think they care about awards. They want deep playoff, and wins. Swcond ;playoff expeeience. But someone has to score if they want to win, so they stepping up to do so. Easy. They dont go for 6 -2 wins with multipmw points, they do 2p-3p /game scoring.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
7 is the max amount of losses we can have for the rest of the season. The moment we hit 8, we are pretty much eliminated.

16-8-1 gets them to 97 points. Media predicts 94 points get them in which would be 15-10. A team that hasn’t played .750 hockey since the first 21 games of the season has to play at least .750 ho key to get a wildcard spot.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I find it funny that "Why is he always here for breakfast OVE" commercial disappeared real quick with Putin on the fritz.

Reactions: oilers'72

Snipesaitl

Jul 3, 2019
Since Jesse and RNH aren’t going to be back anytime soon, I don’t understand why they haven’t called up reinforcements from Bako.

It’s worth giving Holloway or Lavoie a shot instead of inserting more Turris or Sceviour types into the lineup.

Reactions: Laodongxi

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This team has been awful. The elites look fatigued, PP has been a liability, and the season is on the precipice of an unacceptable extinction now being lapped by efficient rebuilds in LA and Anaheim. This team is soft.

They need an energy spark in the lineup. And while the Holland 'over ripe' is likely not perfect this is the time to insert Holloway into the lineup. Not with expectation to be a miracle worker simply a bigger body with a high work rate and puck hunter mentality. Buoy the third line. Give this sagging team an adrenaline jolt. It's a season on the brink.

Reactions: LaGu

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
And if they make the playoffs….out in round 1 ? And what desperate over-priced trades will Holland make to get even that far?
Not a good scenario for the longer term.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
McDavid please be less predictable this game. Every team is starting to catch on, please realize that Leon is not the only one on the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad