Confirmed with Link: Marcel Goc re-signs with Penguins (1 Year/$1.2 Million)

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
That's some good trivia, actually. Who was the last UFA trade deadline pick-up that re-signed the following summer. Guerin, maybe?

Does Adams count? We picked him off waivers at the deadline. We invested so much into getting him, we had to resign him.

I'm really curious to see how many assets Shero threw away, just so we could have a couple months of someone's service.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Somehow I missed this signing last night. Really good value. This is going to sound ridiculous, but outside of not addressing the number 1 need on the team (top 6 winger), Rutherford has done really well.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I added up all the assets Shero used to acquire someone at the trade-deadline and not have them resign.

2 - First round picks
3 - Second round picks
1 - Third round pick
2 - Fourth round picks
1 - Seventh round pick

Prospects; Agostino, Hanowski, Morrow, Caputi, Stone, Esposito.

Roster Players; Armstrong, Christensen, Sabourin, Skoula.

In return we acquired the services of the following players for approx. 2-3 months; Kwiatkowski, Hossa, Garon, Leopold, Ponikarovsky, Kovalev, Morrow, Murray, Iginla, Stempniak

* I included the Hossa deal, I know Dupuis resigned but Hossa was the primary target and Dupuis was more of a throw in at the time.

Damn, if only we could of used half those assets for longer term needs...

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I added up all the assets Shero used to acquire someone at the trade-deadline and not have them resign.

2 - First round picks
3 - Second round picks
1 - Third round pick
2 - Fourth round picks
1 - Seventh round pick

Prospects; Agostino, Hanowski, Morrow, Caputi, Stone, Esposito.

Roster Players; Armstrong, Christensen, Sabourin, Skoula.

* I included the Hossa deal, I know Dupuis resigned but Hossa was the primary target and Dupuis was more of a throw in at the time.

Damn, if only we could of used half those assets for longer term needs...

Next step:

did any of those picks turn into anything? The prospects and roster players, at this point, are pretty benign (though, trust me, the Morrow-Morrow swap is horrible, no matter how Joe Morrow turns out).

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Downie is most likely going to be much too expensive for where we are right now.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would be interested in Malone getting an olive branch try-out/minimum contract. I mean, provided he hasn't gone full unabashed libertine..... which could of course be determined in training camp. Outside of last season, you cannot say Malone did not do his defensive work, nor that he didn't supply grit and a willingness to use his size. It was his contract - and Tampa overflowing with quality young forwards - that made him a disappointment-surplus to requirements there more so than his play (I think, don't watch Tampa that much of course).

It might be sentimentality talking, I know, but Malone Goc Comeau could be an absolutely ridiculous 4th line considering what we have been used to.

Malone - Goc - Comeau looks great on paper. And the fans would LOVE Malone coming back. But man, he sleepwalked through many games here. You'd hope he be majorly motivated trying to salvage, well, everything and playing in front of family and friends every night.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Next step:

did any of those picks turn into anything? The prospects and roster players, at this point, are pretty benign (though, trust me, the Morrow-Morrow swap is horrible, no matter how Joe Morrow turns out).

The two first round picks didn't turn into much.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=62209

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18599

Klimchuk still has a chance though since he was only drafted in 2013. I haven't looked at the second round picks, but anything after the second round is probably a long shot anyway.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Why not double up on re-signed trade deadline acquisitions and keep Stempniak for another year? He's a really good 3rd liner that can fill in in the top 6 as well.

Dupuis - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Bennett
Spalling - Suter - Stempniak
Comeau - Goc - Megna

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Next step:

I'm not really worried about whether those picks turned into anything or not. I'm more frustrated that we could use two second round picks (and other assets) to get a winger right now, instead we used it for 2 months of Douglas freakin' Murray. If we need to use assets for bolster our roster for a playoff run, that fine. But it's like we never had a plan about what to do with them afterwards, so we have to flush away all these assets year after year.

Last edited:

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
Next step:

The Morrow for Morrow trade should have got Shero fired. I don't care if Joe turns out good or bad. He traded something for nothing.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The Morrow for Morrow trade should have got Shero fired. I don't care if Joe turns out good or bad. He traded something for nothing.

Morrow got injured. How he played after the start of the Islanders series wasn't a fair indication. Still probably an overpayment, but not THAT much of one. If he'd played the entire playoffs the way he played up to game 1 we would have been very, very happy.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Malone is worse than Tanner Glass. There, I said it.

Looking at what metric? It certainly can never square with an eye test.
Not that being better than Glass would be a justification.... But anyway.... Would like for them to send him a camp invite. He has made his money.... Now for retribution/reclaiming his name....

....and we need Bugsy Man-***** jokes here to go with Horny having arrived.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Morrow got injured. How he played after the start of the Islanders series wasn't a fair indication. Still probably an overpayment, but not THAT much of one. If he'd played the entire playoffs the way he played up to game 1 we would have been very, very happy.

Yes it was. The asset had value, he traded it for a 3 weeks of Brendan Morrow. That's ridiculous.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Shero took so much heat for the Morrow for Morrow deal. It would be funny if that 3rd rounder he got in the deal (Jake Guentzel) turns out better than Joe Morrow. Not saying it'll happen but it is a small forgotten part of the deal. Time will tell.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Shero took so much heat for the Morrow for Morrow deal. It would be funny if that 3rd rounder he got in the deal (Jake Guentzel) turns out better than Joe Morrow. Not saying it'll happen but it is a small forgotten part of the deal. Time will tell.

Just to be clear, my criticism is separate from Joe Morrow, the player (unlike someone like Jiggy, who criticizes the move based on Joe Morrow, the player). Joe Morrow, the asset, had more value than a rental. The fact that he was later included as part of the Tyler Seguin trade seems to, at least in my mind, show that.

Shero looked at a guy who wasn't developing as fast as he wanted and sold low for a rental. I will rarely, if ever, ***** about players lost, as long as you maximize the value you get for them.

It's like the Neal trade (they are very similar, actually). Rutherford had no more interest in Neal, so he sold him below face value for a piece he wanted.

It's like having car worth $20,000 car, getting a BMW for Christmas, and then trading your old car for a PS4, because you really want it and you have no need for the old car.

Well, okay, but there's probably a way to have received max value for your old asset (the car) and got the new toy you wanted.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just to be clear, my criticism is separate from Joe Morrow, the player (unlike someone like Jiggy, who criticizes the move based on Joe Morrow, the player). Joe Morrow, the asset, had more value than a rental. The fact that he was later included as part of the Tyler Seguin trade seems to, at least in my mind, show that.

Shero looked at a guy who wasn't developing as fast as he wanted and sold low for a rental. I will rarely, if ever, ***** about players lost, as long as you maximize the value you get for them.

It's like the Neal trade (they are very similar, actually). Rutherford had no more interest in Neal, so he sold him below face value for a piece he wanted.

It's like having car worth $20,000 car, getting a BMW for Christmas, and then trading your old car for a PS4, because you really want it and you have no need for the old car.

Well, okay, but there's probably a way to have received max value for your old asset (the car) and got the new toy you wanted.

I have this odd feeling Morrow would have looked good under the new coach...

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Looking at what metric? It certainly can never square with an eye test.
Not that being better than Glass would be a justification.... But anyway.... Would like for them to send him a camp invite. He has made his money.... Now for retribution/reclaiming his name....

....and we need Bugsy Man-***** jokes here to go with Horny having arrived.

He missed 25 games this year, and half the season the year before. He can't stay healthy and on top of that no one knows what is going to happen with the arrest. His wheels are blown. He would be by far the slowest player on the team.

Not to mention now that our 4th line is pretty set with Comeau/Goc/Downie and unless Adams gets moved he is probably the extra forward. Malone sure as hell is not a top 6 forward at this point in his career. If we're taking on reclamation projects then there are better ones out there still (Booth, Leino, Heatley).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I have this odd feeling Morrow would have looked good under the new coach...

:laugh:

to be fair, I don't think Shero thought he would be fired and Mike Johnston would become the head coach at some point, so I can't blame him for not having THAT foresight.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He missed 25 games this year, and half the season the year before. He can't stay healthy and on top of that no one knows what is going to happen with the arrest. His wheels are blown. He would be by far the slowest player on the team.

Not to mention now that our 4th line is pretty set with Comeau/Goc/Downie and unless Adams gets moved he is probably the extra forward. Malone sure as hell is not a top 6 forward at this point in his career. If we're taking on reclamation projects then there are better ones out there still (Booth, Leino, Heatley).

I agree with you but none of that makes him worse at hockey than Tanner Glass

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I agree with you but none of that makes him worse at hockey than Tanner Glass

He is worse at skating than Glass (if that is even possible). He is worse defensively than Glass. He has more offensive skill, but that doesn't matter if he can't stay in the lineup.

If you could combine Glass' ability to play every single game (even though no one wants him to) with Malone, you might have a decent 4th liner.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Malone is worse than Tanner Glass. There, I said it.

He is worse at skating than Glass (if that is even possible). He is worse defensively than Glass. He has more offensive skill, but that doesn't matter if he can't stay in the lineup.

If you could combine Glass' ability to play every single game (even though no one wants him to) with Malone, you might have a decent 4th liner.

I disagree with you and find your opinions disagreeable, compatriot.
Indeed, I think Malone has so much more skill and hockey IQ than Glass, that he would be superior even high, stoned, tumescent and wearing crocs.
If he did wear crocs though, he would lose my support.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I disagree with you and find your opinions disagreeable, compatriot.
Indeed, I think Malone has so much more skill and hockey IQ than Glass, that he would be superior even high, stoned, tumescent and wearing crocs.
If he did wear crocs though, he would lose my support.

If this was pre-injury Malone I would agree. But after that 'lower body injury' last year he just seemed to lose everything. He was like Hal Gill out there trying to skate. Either way, even if he is better than Glass he still doesn't have a place on the team now. I was just using Glass as an example as to how bad he looked after that injury this past winter.

Plus, I doubt the team needs the added distraction of someone that will be going to trial over cocaine possession.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Yes, Brenden Morrow did get injured.

An aging, broken down, trending downward player who'd spent noteworthy time on IR the earlier that season and the season before got injured. What a shock.

That was a deal that was only worthwhile and could only ever bee rationalized if we'd won it all that season. Ultimately, we weren't close.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sorta surprised he re-signed here. He didn't really get it going for us offensively, though he was solid defensively. I figured he'd cash in elsewhere, but I guess the market wasn't there.

Hopefully he chips in more this year offensively. I think he will. We're talking about a guy who is usually good for 10 or so goals and stellar defensive play. I look forward to seeing that from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad