Confirmed with Link: Marcel Goc re-signs with Penguins (1 Year/$1.2 Million)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why? I love the guy and how he plays (not to mention the contract is very cheap),but we have **** ton of depth

Dupuis-Sutter-Spaling
Comeau-Goc-Megna

seems like a little much.

Vitale signed for 1.1m. Moore signed for 1.5m. Goc is great in the sense he can move up the lineup, and is an ace in the circle.

This also gives us options if JR decides to move Sutter.

Dupuis - Spaling - Bennett
Comeau - Goc - Megna

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Freude heißt die starke Feder
In der ewigen Natur.
Freude, Freude treibt die Räder
In der Großen Weltenuhr.
Blumen lockt sie aus den Keimen,
Sonnen aus dem Firmament,
Sphären rollt sie in den Räumen,
Die des Sehers Rohr nicht kennt.

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
Durch des Himmels prächt'gen Plan,
Laufet, Brüder, eure Bahn,
Freudig, wie ein Held zum Siegen.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No complaints here. Makes our 4C slot better. Simple as that. No we don't have Richards playing 4C but you have to start somewhere.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
jeez, i didnt think it was possible

but we've got an even softer bottom 6 then last year

I don't disagree. But it's probably still the best bottom 6, and certainly the best 4th line, we've had in a while. ideally we add one more 4th line LW so Megna can slot into the 13th forward spot.

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
I don't disagree. But it's probably still the best bottom 6, and certainly the best 4th line, we've had in a while. ideally we add one more 4th line LW so Megna can slot into the 13th forward spot.

Like I said in the free agent thread, Downie is still out there. JR should be talking to him. He'd be a good addition to the bottom six.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's some good trivia, actually. Who was the last UFA trade deadline pick-up that re-signed the following summer. Guerin, maybe?

Yep, it's Guerin. Before that you'd only need to go back a year for Pascal Dupuis.

Of the vet UFAs Goc was the only one that I really wanted to see back. Niskanen and Jokinen priced themselves out, Orpik played himself out, Stempniak can make double what we could offer elsewhere, etc.

He wasn't here long enough to be a real part of the club house culture, he's a fantastic third liner, and he's a German wearing a sweet number. If we re-signed Stempniak I'd be happy as well, but I never had any hope of that happening. Seeing Goc sign <2m elsewhere would have hurt.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Freude heißt die starke Feder
In der ewigen Natur.
Freude, Freude treibt die Räder
In der Großen Weltenuhr.
Blumen lockt sie aus den Keimen,
Sonnen aus dem Firmament,
Sphären rollt sie in den Räumen,
Die des Sehers Rohr nicht kennt.

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
Durch des Himmels prächt'gen Plan,
Laufet, Brüder, eure Bahn,
Freudig, wie ein Held zum Siegen.

:handclap: .... it takes a lot to make me feel 16 again these days, but that is high school German with Mrs. Iisen for me.... thanks!

This is obviously fantastic dollar value. Goc is a very good player, and beyond the high quality/dollar value, it is of course also nice that it gives us options, also when it comes to Sutter.... certainly this provides leverage as regards what he will ultimately be offered.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hmmm, wonder if this will be Sutters replacement? he would be good for the 3C and we could deal Sutters RFA rights and more for a return that can help us. I can't be angry at JR at all today, he did well filling out holes and letting our junk GTFO.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sutter would really have to be ridiculous with his contract demands for the Pens to trade him. I don't think the Pens view a cheap one year deal guy like Goc as his replacement.

I think they took Goc back because the value was just too good to pass up. He's at worst an upgrade over Vitale as the #4 center and in all of our worst nightmare scenarios where Dupuis or Spaling actually do have to move up to the top 6, then Goc is the logical fill in at wing on line 3.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Why? I love the guy and how he plays (not to mention the contract is very cheap),but we have **** ton of depth

Dupuis-Sutter-Spaling
Comeau-Goc-Megna

seems like a little much.

The way this team works, half of them will be out for extended injuries AT LEAST once this season :laugh::cry:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sutter would really have to be ridiculous with his contract demands for the Pens to trade him. I don't think the Pens view a cheap one year deal guy like Goc as his replacement.

I think they took Goc back because the value was just too good to pass up. He's at worst an upgrade over Vitale as the #4 center and in all of our worst nightmare scenarios where Dupuis or Spaling actually do have to move up to the top 6, then Goc is the logical fill in at wing on line 3.

All these 1 year deals set us up for a big cap rise next year and tons of money to fill out needs. Pens should have a TON of money to spend next year filling out the roster with the right guys, might take old man JR a little time to assess this team and their needs going forward. I guess you could say, this is a short term fix. Pens would be able to take a run at Ryan aswell, give him a nice contract and term in an offensive puck posession system. He needs time to find the right players for this team and this season will be him looking at what works, what doesn't work.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
All these 1 year deals set us up for a big cap rise next year and tons of money to fill out needs. Pens should have a TON of money to spend next year filling out the roster with the right guys, might take old man JR a little time to assess this team and their needs going forward. I guess you could say, this is a short term fix. Pens would be able to take a run at Ryan aswell, give him a nice contract and term in an offensive puck posession system. He needs time to find the right players for this team and this season will be him looking at what works, what doesn't work.

This is what I was thinking too. Currently there are only 8 players under contract for next year (there are 3 RFAs though this year and 2 next year) and no goalies.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
I have no problem with Goc staying and the price is ok as well. With Comeau the 4th line looks better than last year, but Adams might still be there, still hoping we will part ways with him. But will this team be harder to play against? Not sure about that.....

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Comeau had 197 hits last year and is pretty annoying to play against, so there's that, I guess.

There are still guys out there, so I'm hoping they add more grit with someone like Downie.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Or we end up with a revolving bottom six offensively and bottom four defensively on one year deals. It is great that JR was able to wrangle in a player like Erhoff on a one year deal, but at the same time this is his motive. Look at his moves with Carolina and see how many times he would buy low. This is the GM that traded for Joe Corvo, Tomas Kaberle, Aaron Ward, Marc-Andre Bergeon, Tim Gleason, Josef Melichar, etc.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
There are still guys out there, so I'm hoping they add more grit with someone like Downie.

Downie is most likely going to be much too expensive for where we are right now.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I would be interested in Malone getting an olive branch try-out/minimum contract. I mean, provided he hasn't gone full unabashed libertine..... which could of course be determined in training camp. Outside of last season, you cannot say Malone did not do his defensive work, nor that he didn't supply grit and a willingness to use his size. It was his contract - and Tampa overflowing with quality young forwards - that made him a disappointment-surplus to requirements there more so than his play (I think, don't watch Tampa that much of course).

It might be sentimentality talking, I know, but Malone Goc Comeau could be an absolutely ridiculous 4th line considering what we have been used to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad