Value of: Marc Staal

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Had a pretty solid year tbh, not complaining as much. He is one of the only vets on the team, but the cap is still a problem. And if they could get something small for him and try and go for Carlson at a 7x7 deal that would quicken this rebuild.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
A lot of the teams giving up 4 to 7 goals in these games in the playoffs could have used him. That is for sure. He was probably the teams best d-man this year. Only one who wasn't a turnover machine. I think they keep him to guide some of the young guys.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Had a pretty solid year tbh, not complaining as much. He is one of the only vets on the team, but the cap is still a problem. And if they could get something small for him and try and go for Carlson at a 7x7 deal that would quicken this rebuild.

Glen Sather tried to quicken the rebuild. Ask me how I feel about that today.

You’re not moving Staal without a significant amount of retention. We already have Girardis buyout on the books. We might have Smith’s in the next year.

We signed Shatty to a big deal last summer. And now you want to throw 7x7 at Carson to speed up the rebuild?

It seems like all of your proposals make zero sense for NY. JFC.

Stay the course. No half assed rebuild please. Thank the lord you are not the Rangers GM.

Reactions: Starat327 and Wease

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
A lot of the teams giving up 4 to 7 goals in these games in the playoffs could have used him. That is for sure. He was probably the teams best d-man this year. Only one who wasn't a turnover machine. I think they keep him to guide some of the young guys.

Staal played better this past year than the year before, but he sure as hell wasnt our best dmen. And he is a turnover machine. He has no offensive instincts and his breakout pass is suitable for 80’s NHL.

Not sure what you’re watching. Maybe you’re focused on the fact that Buchnevich is Russian instead of paying attention to the game.

Reactions: Monument and Lays

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He wasn't solid last year at all.

He had ten good games and then went back to being his unwatchable self, but by then nobody cared.

Reactions: Monument

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Typical NYR mindset. When we are trying to win, we keep the guy and he's horrible and makes it difficult to win. When we are rebuilding, and his experience seems a little useful and it's not a huge deal that he stinks because there's a lot of problems and it doesn't cost you games nightly, let's buy him out. Makes zero sense to get rid of him until he is legitimately pushed out of the lineup by someone better. Right now it's hard to say we have six sure fire better defensemen.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Meh no ones going to take Staal unless we retain 50% and add something decent. He was decent this year and Pionk seems to like being mentored by Staal, would rather just ride out the contract, cap space isn’t an issue and we don’t have 3 better guys on the left side. Lindgren is likely to take that last spot on LD next year, we’ll have Skjei-Staal-Lindgren(which obviously isn’t good at all) and then Hajek/Rykov will eventually push him out. We don’t need him gone just yet

Reactions: bl02

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Genuinely curious... would staal still have negative value if rangers retained 50%? Would be 3 years at a little under 3 per. As a rangers fan, I’d guess that’s about what he’d get as a ufa, so maybe he’d be worth a late pick at that price

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
His contract becomes more tolerable as time progresses. Each year the avg salary goes up and his value actually gets better. There is no reason to do this now. It reminds me of back in the day when everyone laughed at Sergei Gonchar's contract and he had negative value. Eventually the league average caught up and what he brought was not bad at all for the money. Don't deal him with three years left. The rebuild will probably take two and by then he may not be an asset you have to sell at a discount and could actually turn a profit on.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Staal + 2nd round pick for Alzner

why would NYR do this, pay extra to add an even longer pricy LD deal?

if Habs are taking the shot which NYR are not - another kick at the can with Price, Weber and their handful of strong wings, Staal can help

but not the Alzner contract

NYR retain some, take back Benn whose spot Staal assumes, a good (2d/3d) pick, and a future or 2, like a McNiven, Lernout

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Staal has a full NMC and isn't goign anywhere. Besides that he is a negative assest player. His value hurts a trade so something great would need to be added to get something kinda okay back. His "pretty solid year" was still filled with unforced turn overs, missed coverage, and horrible possession. Him at his best right now is only worth 50% of that contract. With the FNMC and the dollar amount he is untradeable.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Staal has a full NMC and isn't goign anywhere. Besides that he is a negative assest player. His value hurts a trade so something great would need to be added to get something kinda okay back. His "pretty solid year" was still filled with unforced turn overs, missed coverage, and horrible possession. Him at his best right now is only worth 50% of that contract. With the FNMC and the dollar amount he is untradeable.
Starting next season, Staals NMC turns into a modified NTC. He’s also owed only 10.2m over the next 3 years.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Genuinely curious... would staal still have negative value if rangers retained 50%? Would be 3 years at a little under 3 per. As a rangers fan, I’d guess that’s about what he’d get as a ufa, so maybe he’d be worth a late pick at that price

He’s still a solid 3rd pairing dmen. 3m cap hit with only 10.2m owed - I think a team would see value there.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
This is finally a time where Staal isn’t hurting the Rangers. You still need a veteran back there to mentor the kids coming up. Salary cap shouldn’t be an issue if the plan is to play a bunch of kids making under a million. Staal isn’t going anywhere

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
And Carlson wants to come to the Rangers at 7x7 because? "Hey, we're rebuilding and our taxes are extremely high, we know you just put up 60+ points, but how's 7 million over 7 sound?"

Why shouldn't Carlson ask for more?

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers have ZERO need to trade for any defenseman. They just traded for three talented, near NHL ready defenseman. Plus they have a ton of high picks in this years draft.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
His Full NMC turns into a Modified NMC this summer.

Marc Staal
NO IT DOESN"T you can't just say that without a source. Thats not how this works. He has a full no move clause with no list of teams or chance of being sent to the AHL for the entire contract. Unless you are coming back with a source you are a liar and just blowing smoke.

EDIT: I see the source now... however its wrong and i provided sources saying otherwise including NHL.com, Cap Friendly, and Capgeek.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad