News Article: Marc Staal named Detroit's 2021-22 Masterton Nominee

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Given his usage this year, I don't see Veleno being deployed as the 4C next season. I think they'd sooner play him up, like they have lately as the 2C, in another rebuilding year. If we were competitive next year, sure, play him when he's actually good for the role. But we won't be.

I agree though that he's looking like a 3C at best.

The team sucks because everyone is slotted above their ability, and Joey is no exception.

He needs to be in the 4C spot until he figures out the game a bit more, and work his way up to 3C. Go look at the guys playing 3C on a contender, Joey isn't anywhere close.

If Joey is 2C, it's another lottery season. Book it.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The team sucks because everyone is slotted above their ability, and Joey is no exception.

He needs to be in the 4C spot until he figures out the game a bit more, and work his way up to 3C. Go look at the guys playing 3C on a contender, Joey isn't anywhere close.

If Joey is 2C, it's another lottery season. Book it.
Oh I know why the team sucks, I've watched it like the rest of us lol. It's another lottery season regardless is my point though. There really isn't a pathway for this team to be a playoff contender next season. It's going to take another year at least. So since we're again a lottery team, let Veleno develop in a top-9 role.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Since he's been here, and i've watched him play a lot more, I really don't understand why Rangers fans were so low on this guy. He was seemingly one of their punching bags for a long time, got a lot of crap and when he wound up coming here, it was a lot of "haha, good luck Detroit! See ya!" from their fans also.

He's very solid all around, and the kind of vet you want around a young team. I'd be good with another year here.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Since he's been here, and i've watched him play a lot more, I really don't understand why Rangers fans were so low on this guy. He was seemingly one of their punching bags for a long time, got a lot of crap and when he wound up coming here, it was a lot of "haha, good luck Detroit! See ya!" from their fans also.

He's very solid all around, and the kind of vet you want around a young team. I'd be good with another year here.

$5.7M cap hit

He looks good for $2M on a cellar team that's playing a cripple on the roster every night. He's 6th D at best on a Cup team.

(I would have said 7th, but remembered that Djoos has a ring.)

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I actually work with a Dutch subsidiary, they are different, lol.

Stevie and Marc are so far removed from their homeland, I really doubt that's even a factor.
I know for Marc it would play a factor. Not sure about Stevie. Marc is from my hometown, he's pretty prominent in the dutch community which is fairly large here.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fine with moving on. We need quicker guys and keeping Staal to me means we have no intention of being more competitive next season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's arguably the only d-man on the roster being utilized "properly" in terms of the workload vs. ability.
I think that shows in the good reputation he has among fans.

Like Bobby Ryan though at some point you need to move on. But I could see him sticking around one more year.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Given his usage this year, I don't see Veleno being deployed as the 4C next season. I think they'd sooner play him up, like they have lately as the 2C, in another rebuilding year. If we were competitive next year, sure, play him when he's actually good for the role. But we won't be.

I agree though that he's looking like a 3C at best.
Agree. Joey V will probably wind up as a solid 3C. And that's totally fine. With the way the current NHL is trending towards 3 scoring lines and a "momentum"/checking 4th line, I think Veleno would be well suited as a 3rd C when we're contending for playoffs/Cups. I still have it in my head that he always takes a full year to adjust to whatever level of competition he's playing in and then he starts to be more confident/assertive in his play. So there is still a slight hope that he could turn into a 2C...but more than likely a 3C.

Reactions: jaster

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Give me all 3 of Staal, Gagner, and Namestnikov please. Good veteran depth. Staal and Gagner would be good candidates to fill reserve roles that don't even see the ice if everyone is healthy. Our #7 D and #13 F. Namestnikov could be a good wing pair with Sundqvist on a checking/defensive line.

Jettison Erne into the sun to make room for Namestnikov.

Bert - Larkin - Ray
Fabbri - Suter - Vrana
Ras - Veleno - Zadina
Names - Stephens - Sundqvist
Gagner
Berggren first call-up

Lot of interchangeability in that middle-6, depending on what you think of chemistry between certain players. And that 4th-line wouldn't necessarily always have the least amount of TOI either, depending on how the middle-6 is built and how any given game goes.
But I think Yzerman will bring one big name for top 6.
I think we are 10 million under the cap floor. Are we?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
But I think Yzerman will bring one big name for top 6.
I think we are 10 million under the cap floor. Are we?
Good point. With the upper limit going up to 82.5 next season, the floor will likely be right around 61. The Wings are sitting at about 50.9 right now, so yeah about $10M under. A decent chunk of that will be eaten up by whichever goalie we end up signing. But that'll still leave them around 6-7 under the floor with a roster of 11/4/2. That leaves 6 open spots, with 4 RFAs on the roster, including Zadina (and Stephens, Walman, and Juolevi), and 2 UFAs who probably remain possibilities (Gagner and Staal), and of course Berggren and Edvinsson knocking on the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad