News Article: Marc Staal named Detroit's 2021-22 Masterton Nominee

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He'll never go down as any kind of Red Wings legend, but he's been a positive addition during his time here. Curious if we give him another 1 year deal or if that's it.

He'll be back if he's willing to be a healthy scratch if the team finds another UFA LHD and Edvinsson makes the team.

I'm guessing 1 yr $2M with full NMC because he won't risk getting sent down to GR.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
He'll be back if he's willing to be a healthy scratch if the team finds another UFA LHD and Edvinsson makes the team.

I'm guessing 1 yr $2M with full NMC because he won't risk getting sent down to GR.
That's pretty much what I think will happen as well. I'm indifferent to it, but he's been fine and would be the lone veteran D presence in the locker room, which is probably important for a young team.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think Staal's got a spot next year. I doubt they're going to want an all rookie left side. I bet Edvinsson and Johansson are gonna duel in camp for a spot, and Staal and a free agent acquisition like Kulak will be the other two LD.

Reactions: golffuul and lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Give me all 3 of Staal, Gagner, and Namestnikov please. Good veteran depth. Staal and Gagner would be good candidates to fill reserve roles that don't even see the ice if everyone is healthy. Our #7 D and #13 F. Namestnikov could be a good wing pair with Sundqvist on a checking/defensive line.

Jettison Erne into the sun to make room for Namestnikov.

Bert - Larkin - Ray
Fabbri - Suter - Vrana
Ras - Veleno - Zadina
Names - Stephens - Sundqvist
Gagner
Berggren first call-up

Lot of interchangeability in that middle-6, depending on what you think of chemistry between certain players. And that 4th-line wouldn't necessarily always have the least amount of TOI either, depending on how the middle-6 is built and how any given game goes.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Give me all 3 of Staal, Gagner, and Namestnikov please. Good veteran depth. Staal and Gagner would be good candidates to fill reserve roles that don't even see the ice if everyone is healthy. Our #7 D and #13 F. Namestnikov could be a good wing pair with Sundqvist on a checking/defensive line.

Bert - Larkin - Ray
Fabbri - Suter - Vrana
Ras - Veleno - Zadina
Gagner
Berggren first call-up

Lot of interchangeability in that middle-6, depending on what you think of chemistry between certain players. And that 4th-line wouldn't necessarily always have the least amount of TOI either, depending on how the middle-6 is built and how any given game goes.

I'd let Stephens walk, and Smith has a one way contract for next season so he's more than likely the backup forward.

This team needs a 2C so Suter can get dropped down to the third line. Fabbri may or may not be ready at the beginning of the season.

Gags and EmptyNetmestnikov don't really move the needle, but Stevie needs to make sure he doesn't move the needle backwards with someone like Rowney again.

Erne will probably play well because it's a contract year. I'd sell him at the TDL if he plays like he did last season.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Bert - Larkin - Ray
Fabbri - Suter - Vrana
Ras - Veleno - Zadina
Gagner

Berggren first call-up

I get where you're coming from, and I have nothing against players like Gagner individually.

But if we start next season with a carbon copy of this year's forward group that would be tremendously disappointing.

Reactions: Oddbob

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I'd let Stephens walk, and Smith has a one way contract for next season so he's more than likely the backup forward.

This team needs a 2C so Suter can get dropped down to the third line. Fabbri may or may not be ready at the beginning of the season.

Gags and EmptyNetmestnikov don't really move the needle, but Stevie needs to make sure he doesn't move the needle backwards with someone like Rowney again.

Erne will probably play well because it's a contract year. I'd sell him at the TDL if he plays like he did last season.
I only kept Stephens because who else is going to play 4th-line center? I don't think any of Suter, Veleno, or Ras are best deployed in that spot. Suter simply isn't... suited. And the two kids need to play higher up in the lineup. In a vacuum though, sure, Stephens could go, he's pretty forgettable.

I kinda forgot about Smith, but unless Stevie rosters 17 defensemen again, there's no reason Detroit shouldn't have 14 forwards rostered, so there's an extra spot for Smith. Dude hasn't shown he should be playing every day anyway.

Suter and Veleno are fine to rotate through the middle-6 center spots to me. Detroit isn't going anywhere next season, so let Veleno continue to develop in the middle.

Rowney is surely history. The point of Namestnikov and Gagner is not to move any needles, but to check that box of "veteran forwards who have solid compete and can provide a good presence." You know, like 80% of the board hates lol. But if I'm being honest, I don't see Namestnikov coming back. That idea of guys coming back, like it was theorized when we traded him, just doesn't actually happen outside of some rare cases.

Erne will most likely be back, yeah. I'd rather he not be. I'm not banking on him rebounding. I think he just had a career year least season, mostly sucks, and next season will be much closer to this one than the last one.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I get where you're coming from, and I have nothing against players like Gagner individually.

But if we start next season with a carbon copy of this year's forward group that would be tremendously disappointing.
I would expect most people to be disappointed, yeah. I don't really blame ya'll, but I've realized I have lower expectations for next season than most fans. I'm expecting a lot of people to probably be calling for Stevie's head next year. Most likely, he'll make some moves that render my lineup pretty inaccurate; mine certainly isn't a prediction, just spit-balling regarding current and recent players. That said, I don't see much of a pathway for this roster to transform into a playoff contender next season.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I would expect most people to be disappointed, yeah. I don't really blame ya'll, but I've realized I have lower expectations for next season than most fans. I'm expecting a lot of people to probably be calling for Stevie's head next year. Most likely, he'll make some moves that render my lineup pretty inaccurate; mine certainly isn't a prediction, just spit-balling regarding current and recent players. That said, I don't see much of a pathway for this roster to transform into a playoff contender next season.

I hear you, and I get that there are no easy answers here.

I think it's one thing to take a more cautious approach to this summer. I think it's another thing to essentially trot out the exact same group of forwards as we did this season.

Rebuilds are slow, but you've gotta set standards too. I think it would look really complacent to see how poorly this season has gone since January-ish and essentially run it back with the same guys. I think that sends a tough message to guys like Larkin and Bertuzzi, who are on the verge of UFA, and to guys like Seider and Raymond, who deserve to start being insulated with better talent imo.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Bert - Larkin - Ray
Fabbri - Suter - Vrana
Ras - Veleno - Zadina
Gagner
Berggren first call-up

Jesus, that's the same forward group from this season.

Reactions: Gniwder

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I hear you, and I get that there are no easy answers here.

I think it's one thing to take a more cautious approach to this summer. I think it's another thing to essentially trot out the exact same group of forwards as we did this season.

Rebuilds are slow, but you've gotta set standards too. I think it would look really complacent to see how poorly this season has gone since January-ish and essentially run it back with the same guys. I think that sends a tough message to guys like Larkin and Bertuzzi, who are on the verge of UFA, and to guys like Seider and Raymond, who deserve to start being insulated with better talent imo.
I do agree. The zoomed out view of this roster is that it is very unlikely to be the same. It's not likely in general, and it's not Yzerman's way. I guess I really just wanted to kind of compare/rank our current and recent players to see who the first to be cut (*cough* Erne *cough*) would be, imo. Again, it was less a prediction and more an evaluation of these guys.

Looking at it from the other direction, I think the only forwards guaranteed to be back are Larkin, Raymond, Vrana, and Ras (not because he's been so good, but because he still has potential and offers a unique size-skating combo). Bertuzzi is on the fringe of that group due to reasons that have been belabored on this forum. Most likely he is back, but he's a potentially powerful trade chip. To a lesser extent, the same goes for Fabbri.

In a vacuum, I don't see Yzerman giving up on Veleno or Zadina yet, but if a trade package is put together and one of the pieces that has to go the other way is a young roster player, these guys are candidates.

Suter would be a candidate to go only if Stevie does in fact upgrade at center.

The rest are completely replaceable and perfectly acceptable to be included in a trade, or outright waived in some cases.

So yeah, tons of opportunity to make room for Berggren or any trade acquisitions.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Jesus, that's the same forward group from this season.
Hey man, I subtracted 133 man-games from the likes of Erne, Rowney, Hirose, Barber, Criscuolo, Pearson, and the other G Smith at least, quit your bellyaching :laugh:

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I only kept Stephens because who else is going to play 4th-line center? I don't think any of Suter, Veleno, or Ras are best deployed in that spot. Suter simply isn't... suited. And the two kids need to play higher up in the lineup. In a vacuum though, sure, Stephens could go, he's pretty forgettable.

I kinda forgot about Smith, but unless Stevie rosters 17 defensemen again, there's no reason Detroit shouldn't have 14 forwards rostered, so there's an extra spot for Smith. Dude hasn't shown he should be playing every day anyway.

Suter and Veleno are fine to rotate through the middle-6 center spots to me. Detroit isn't going anywhere next season, so let Veleno continue to develop in the middle.

Rowney is surely history. The point of Namestnikov and Gagner is not to move any needles, but to check that box of "veteran forwards who have solid compete and can provide a good presence." You know, like 80% of the board hates lol. But if I'm being honest, I don't see Namestnikov coming back. That idea of guys coming back, like it was theorized when we traded him, just doesn't actually happen outside of some rare cases.

Erne will most likely be back, yeah. I'd rather he not be. I'm not banking on him rebounding. I think he just had a career year least season, mostly sucks, and next season will be much closer to this one than the last one.
Stephens is the easiest player to upgrade on, if Stevie doesn't at least do that much he's throwing away another season. Ideally the upgrade is at the 2C position and everyone gets slotted down, that would mean Joey as 4C, which is fine. Laf is playing 4C for the Rangers, younger players can start on lower lines, especially since Joey looks like he's probably gonna wind up being 3C anyways.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009

He is a fellow dutchmen like Yzerman. They tend to be a very tight bunch

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Bert - Larkin - Ray
Fabbri - Suter - Vrana
Ras - Veleno - Zadina
Gagner
Berggren first call-up

Namestikov/Sundqvist Veleno Zadina
Erne Rasmussen Sundqvist/Namestikov

We need som veterans.

Reactions: jaster

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Staal has had some dog games ...
Some days, he's just clearly too slow.

I'm surprised by his five on five offense. No Red Wing defenseman seems more willing to jump in from the point and make something happen.

He's a good character guy. But if he doesn't come back, I don't really care. Yzerman paid him quite well, if you ask me. Wings don't owe him anything else.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Stephens is the easiest player to upgrade on, if Stevie doesn't at least do that much he's throwing away another season. Ideally the upgrade is at the 2C position and everyone gets slotted down, that would mean Joey as 4C, which is fine. Laf is playing 4C for the Rangers, younger players can start on lower lines, especially since Joey looks like he's probably gonna wind up being 3C anyways.
Given his usage this year, I don't see Veleno being deployed as the 4C next season. I think they'd sooner play him up, like they have lately as the 2C, in another rebuilding year. If we were competitive next year, sure, play him when he's actually good for the role. But we won't be.

I agree though that he's looking like a 3C at best.

Reactions: golffuul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad