Former Bruins Marc Savard is now an OHL Head Coach - Windsor

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Very happy for Savvy. Guy was all-in on being a Bruin and delivered some amazing memories. Best part is he must be in very good health to feel he can take on the workload, travel and stress of the job
Very glad to see this and the outpouring of support. He must be feeling better. As someone else already noted, it is hopefully one step closer to him coming back to the Bruins organization.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How the f*** would you even be qualified, never mind knowledgeable enough about Savard's demeanor, game analysis, ability to communicate, etc., to make this assessment?

Nothing but as faux contrarian hot take, as frigging usual.

Forgive me for not being qualified to have an opinion.

Gifted star players usually don't make good coaches.

Simple as that.

Reactions: sooshii

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Randy Carlyle has done pretty well

Didn't say always, just in general.

Though Carlyle was a defenseman and a rough customer. Had 210 minutes for Winnipeg one season. Not really the type of player I meant.

Guys like the Sutter's were talented but needed to be tough SOBs to be really successful. Good coaching material.

Marc Savard was a player that could play at the highest level on his skills alone. Hope he is successful, but usually those types don't succeed as coaches.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Though Carlyle was a defenseman and a rough customer. Had 210 minutes for Winnipeg one season. Not really the type of player I meant.

Guys like the Sutter's were talented but needed to be tough SOBs to be really successful. Good coaching material.

Marc Savard was a player that could play at the highest level on his skills alone. Hope he is successful, but usually those types don't succeed as coaches.
Hasn't Marc already done some coaching ?

He could sure put together a great power play

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Forgive me for not being qualified to have an opinion.

Gifted star players usually don't make good coaches.

Simple as that.

Well perhaps Savard can be an exception to that so call rule!. I personally wish him the best in his new role and good health as well.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
How the f*** would you even be qualified, never mind knowledgeable enough about Savard's demeanor, game analysis, ability to communicate, etc., to make this assessment?

Nothing but as faux contrarian hot take, as frigging usual.
Before Savard was hired by the Blues he was on as a regular analyst on Leafs radio games, then he was on Sportsnet TV also as a commentator/analyst. He was pretty good at it. He knows the ins and outs of the game. He can break down a play in a simple way...

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Hooray. Happy to see Savard getting a job on the pine as a coach. Hope he does well.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hooray. Happy to see Savard getting a job on the pine as the coach. Hope he does well.
Me too, I think he will. Many of us remember the player he became as a Bruin but he wasn`t a guy who was willing to pay even the slightest attention to defensive details prior to his arrival. He soon was convinced by CJ and likely other leaders like Z and Bergy that in order to get better, he had to improve in other areas of the game and Savvy did. He wouldn`t go onto be recognized for Selke performances but he transformed into a guy who at least became willing to work hard in his own zone and I think that`s the kind of message he`ll preach to the kids going through the system.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Good for Savard, happy for him.

as I recall he remained close with Mellanby (Habs) and Waddell ( Canes) for some time.

As much as I’d like to think there’s a special tie to the Bruins, He did play in several organizations and (no evidence…just thinking out loud) may have enough connections throughout the league that don’t give the Bruins and particular leg up on identifying talent in the OHL. Would love him to be a resource though….and maybe some day find his way back the the organization.

MarkP1126

Aug 25, 2021

I think Marc Savard was definitely a "skills alone" guy before Claude got a hold of him. His game evolved, he became more defensively responsible, played on the PK. I think he got a better grasp of both sides of the puck playing for Claude.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Good for Savard, happy for him.

as I recall he remained close with Mellanby (Habs) and Waddell ( Canes) for some time.

As much as I’d like to think there’s a special tie to the Bruins, He did play in several organizations and (no evidence…just thinking out loud) may have enough connections throughout the league that don’t give the Bruins and particular leg up on identifying talent in the OHL. Would love him to be a resource though….and maybe some day find his way back the the organization.
100 percent a Bruin.

If you follow him on Twitter you would see it's pretty obvious. And on Instagram he is often live between periods of Bruins games.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
100 percent a Bruin.

If you follow him on Twitter you would see it's pretty obvious. And on Instagram he is often live between periods of Bruins games.

No, I don’t do Twitter and I clearly don’t have your insights. At present he’s not employed by the B’s so I’ll be interested in the reports of how the connection to Boston, while he’s coaching in the O, results in some talent-ID benefits to the Bruins if that occurs. I’m sure someone will share that info.

In the meantime I’m more focused on (a) being happy that he’s doing well and (b) hopeful that that the future finds him coaching with the Bs in some capacity. Quality guy.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Former Bruin Marc Savard ‘as happy as can be,’ looking forward to coaching in junior hockey - The Boston Globe

In the dressing room before games, Marc Savard would scan that night’s opposing roster and give a scouting report. When he landed on an unfamiliar name, he’d toss out, “Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.”
It became a running gag among the Bruins during his five seasons (2006-11). Phil Kessel appreciated it enough to adopt it for his Twitter bio.
Savard needed no such throwaway line this past week, as he was breaking down a player his new team will soon face.
“He’s a big boy,” Savard said. “He’s got good skills. He’s about 6-3 now, almost. Left winger with a lot of good vision and he can score. If he needs to rough it up, he can.”

The player is Tyler Savard, Marc’s 18-year-old son and an Ontario Hockey League rookie with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Savard, this past week named coach of the Windsor Spitfires, will see them eight times this season, beginning Nov. 13.

“It’ll be interesting to see how he adapts,” Marc Savard said. “They have a decent team up there too, so hopefully he gets to play with some good players. It’ll be a good little battle when we play each other.”

Savard, 44, feels the dark chapter that followed — a post-concussion hell detailed in a 2016 story by the Globe’s Stan Grossfeld — is all but over. In the last seven years, he rediscovered his passion for golf (he is a scratch player who has competed on amateur tours in Ontario) and coached his kids’ minor teams in Peterborough, Ontario, did a stint with Sportsnet radio in Toronto, and returned to the NHL as a Blues assistant in 2019-20.
When reached by telephone Thursday, Savard and his wife, Valerie, were enjoying their last few days of summer in cottage country. He was packing to head to Windsor, where he planned to stay with a longtime pal before settling into an apartment for the season. His family will make the four-plus-hour drive southwest, along Lakes Ontario and Erie, to visit.
“I’m feeling great,” Savard said. “I’ve been good for a long time now. Life’s good. My kids [Zach, 21; Isabella, 19; Tyler; and Elle, 7] are good. My wife’s great. I’m happy as can be.”

That means the OHL could get a dose of Savard’s lively personality. Savard was king of chirps in the Boston dressing room. He plans to be serious on game days, but he did tell Windsor general manager Bill Bowler in their initial talks that if he was looking for an all-business coach, he might look elsewhere.
“He has no problem getting along with his teammates, coaches, his peers,” said Bowler, entering his third season as GM. “The one thing that stood out to me was how humble he is. It’s all about the players and what he can do for them. If I didn’t ask him about it, I don’t know if I’d know he ever played. It’s refreshing to hear.”

Savard, who scored 305 points in 304 games as a Bruin (401 in 503 before that, with the Rangers, Flames, and Thrashers), said he will take defensive cues from his former coaches — Claude Julien, in particular — but a freewheeling attack and a puck-moving power play will be his pillars.
“I’m going to let the kids breathe on offense,” he said. “I’m not going to draw up offensive plays for them five on five. I’m going to let them do their thing. I’m going to be a players’ coach. My door’s always open.”
He may have to be patient to see results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad