Marc Methot Says That The Sens Are Not Even Close To The Playoffs

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The one thing I don't like what I've heard from Staios is this expectation of Korpisalo rebounding.

I need to be educated about what he's rebounding to, because I don't see it on his resume. His career tells us what we saw this year is much more likely to be the norm than the alternative.

I really, really hope they have a rabbit up their sleeve in net, because I don't think any of the other changes are gonna matter a lick if they plan on rolling the Korpse out there as #1 again.

GM speak I wouldn't worry about it. If he can move him he will. If he wants to move either of them.. I doubt he'd start that sales job with ; Our goalies suck or they could have been a lot better. He may be stuck with him. The team has to get better defensively is a consistent message.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think at this stage, you have to publicly state you believe in your goalies being better, because 1) doing otherwise takes all the skaters off the hook for their role, and 2) by doing so, you are challenging him to be better, and 3) stating otherwise would undermine any limited leverage you currently have while really accomplishing nothing.

Staios did seem pretty clear over his multiple interviews that the goaltending was not good enough, but if we state we absolutely need to make changes, the GM we try to trade with or UFA we try to sign will know we are desperate, it also would set an expectation that might not be realistic among fans. As much as we all want to make a trade for Saros or Ulmark, it takes two to finalize a trade, and we can only make an offer, we can't force a trade.
All fair points. There is a game to be played that extends beyond Korpisalo in a bubble and a lot of it is just GM speak and the dance they do. I guess I just worry a little that faith may actually be there. It's always the wording of "bouncing back" that concerns me every time it comes up, because I don't see that as a realistic thing considering his resume.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The team finished 26th because it is a bottom quartile team: poor roster, poor coaching, poor GM for the last few years ever since Murray retired, and cheap-skate owner who dictated a low budget.

Having both Melnyk and Dorion during Dorion's tenure was a complete disaster in management of the team.
Agree with all of this... but my response was intended to be humorous. The poster I was quoting had used the word "tautological".

I guess I'll stick to my day job instead of becoming a comedian.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I personally guarantee we make the playoffs next year.

Rest easy fellow sens fans.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think comparing Reg season Sens vs post season playoff teams is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, most teams if not all are dialing it up a notch in the playoffs, presumably we would as well.

As currently built, I think we are best case a bubble team, not all that different from the Det, NYI, and Flyers.
However, the poor regular season performances year after year indicates that there is a problem with this team. If this team were a "serious" playoff team the players would play much harder during the season to ensure that the team would get into the playoffs. They did not do that.

I agree that at best this is a bubble team.

Changes are necessary to turn this team around. The first major change to hire a POHO and then the POHO appointing himself as GM is not what I hoped for. I think we need an experienced and previously successful GM; Staios is not that.

Going forward, I hope this team hires an experienced and previously successful coaching staff who will teach the players how to play a more complete game including how to play without the puck and then hold players accountable for doing that. I hope Staios gets that done right. With that type of coaching staff, the nonsensical play will stop.

Unpopular opinion incoming.

DJ was the right coach for 3 years, the problem is we needed a new coach for the next phase.
Not in my assessment.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think at this stage, you have to publicly state you believe in your goalies being better, because 1) doing otherwise takes all the skaters off the hook for their role, and 2) by doing so, you are challenging him to be better, and 3) stating otherwise would undermine any limited leverage you currently have while really accomplishing nothing.

Staios did seem pretty clear over his multiple interviews that the goaltending was not good enough, but if we state we absolutely need to make changes, the GM we try to trade with or UFA we try to sign will know we are desperate, it also would set an expectation that might not be realistic among fans. As much as we all want to make a trade for Saros or Ulmark, it takes two to finalize a trade, and we can only make an offer, we can't force a trade.
I think virtually all the other NHL orgs know that our goaltending is a team weakness. They also know our defence is soft. They also know that their top lines can score against our 4th line.

Desperation is what our owner and POHO/GM might feel if the fans stop attending games due to continued poor performance. I don't think Andlauer nor Staios are "desperate" at this time.

In order to acquire high quality players/prospects/draft picks, the team will have to offer something of equal value that is recognized and desired by the other team. Hopefully our focus will be on getting equal value back in trades (win-win), not trying to obtain a win-lose type of trade.

I have a better feeling about Staios than I have had about Dorion for many years; however, time will tell if my perception is correct. At this time, it is all conjecture about Staios who has no NHL track record (like the early Dorion years until he traded Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick for an ageing, declining vet of lesser value).

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Staois is rebuilding the rebuild. You know the movie scene where some dude is frantically trying to save a dead body he can’t admit is dead and the other dude comes over and says “it’s over, it’s okay” - that’s what Dorion rebuilding the D in Ottawa was.

trades for Brannstrom, draft JBD and Thomson an sign Zub and trading for Chychryn and drafting Sanderson and signing Chabot long term it’s just time to start over

Goalies same. Forward depth same. Coaching same. Scouting sane
Pretty much. Staois has to stabilize the D and G before anything else. Depth forwards can be had, but a right handed minute eater is much harder and a real goalie is tough as well.

If he can get another Zub, then that's a big step forward. Trading Chycrun is obvious at this point, buying out Korpisalo should be the move, but who knows. Another veteran right handed D for the third pair. A two way winger for line 2 and some depth. A coach. Not easy, but not impossible.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Some of the people talking about our d corps were saying stuff like “if you’re worried about losing Demelo that’s your problem, losing a 6/7 won’t hurt”. Just saying.

Reactions: ijif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Some of the people talking about our d corps were saying stuff like “if you’re worried about losing Demelo that’s your problem, losing a 6/7 won’t hurt”. Just saying.
It was an odd time...

Some people were saying losing a 3rd pair D is no big deal, while others were worried about how much it would cost to extend him...

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The hard truth is that they need to pull the plug and do a serious retool or rebuild, but I guess it doesn't hurt to give it one more kick at the can.

With Lebreton possibly 5 years away, it makes sense to fix things so that they can contend when they go down town.

It's not what anybody wants to hear but it's pretty clear that the previous regime gave us 5 years of unparalleled mess. Now we have to clean up.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, in our defense, we also didn't expect basically every addition from the last GM since then to not work out. Hindsight though, foolish to let him go assuming better would be here by now.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
How realistic is it to think that Staois can acquire all the players needed to make the playoffs? There are a lot of holes to plug...I think that's MM point
I dunno how realistic it is really. Probably not so much - BUT, we have the foundation in place at least, it's not like we're looking for a top line C and a top pairing D unit or a top line LW or RW or even a 2nd line RW. Depending on how much he likes guys like Pinto and Greig, it might be easier for the forwards.

I see the point, for sure.

Reactions: TeamRenzo

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
How realistic is it to think that Staois can acquire all the players needed to make the playoffs? There are a lot of holes to plug...I think that's MM point
We don’t need a ton of changes to become a playoff team. We are however a long wag from the top playoff teams.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
There aren't many great options for Staois. If I'm him I think I do what I can to improve in the short-term, without mortgaging the future. A Plan A (make playoffs soon) that doesn't imperil Plan B (be good 4-6 years from now).

The issue at some point is that Plan A detracts from Plan B. If someone offers you something crazy for Tkachuck in terms of prospects/picks, for example, you need to think about that. This current group doesn't look like it is going anywhere. At best a first round exit.

The only players, at their price points, that are performing are Tkachuck, Joseph, Giroux (old), Zub, Greig/Pinto (future price TBD), maybe Batherson/Sanderson. That's not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad