Marc Methot Says That The Sens Are Not Even Close To The Playoffs

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Unpopular opinion incoming.

DJ was the right coach for 3 years, the problem is we needed a new coach for the next phase.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This statement is the right attitude for starting next season.

No more… “we can do this” bullshit.

Time to level up by playing as underdogs. That is all the Sens ever were…. Pesky Sens

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think with better goaltending and coaching we'd have sneaked into the playoffs or been in the hunt the whole season, but I don't think this team is built to handle playoff hockey. We'd be lucky to push a team to 6 games.

It's just poorly constructed and the fixes we need aren't easy since what we need, a lot of other teams need:
-1A goalie capable of playing 40-50 games
-Top 4 RD
-A couple of solid middle 6 guys
-More vet presence that can contribute on the ice (not Hamonic)
-New coach

I'm hopeful because Staios can't possibly be worse than Dorion, but damn do we have a long way to go before we can have some success

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think with better goaltending and coaching we'd have sneaked into the playoffs or been in the hunt the whole season, but I don't think this team is built to handle playoff hockey. We'd be lucky to push a team to 6 games.

It's just poorly constructed and the fixes we need aren't easy since what we need, a lot of other teams need:
-Top 4 RD
-New coach

I'm hopeful because Staios can't possibly be worse than Dorion, but damn do we have a long way to go before we can have some success
There isn’t enough cap space for all that.

If we get a #1 goalie and a true top 4 RD we are likely done.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Not that I disagree, but some of the boxes can be checked off with one player. Like a top 4 RHD could be a good vet guy.

This is why I think it's going to be such a hard task for Staios (especially deciding who to move from our 'core'). I can only hope because hey, it can't possibly get worse.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

DJ was the right coach for 3 years, the problem is we needed a new coach for the next phase.

In terms of locker room drinking games - YES

In terms of teaching NHL hockey to
Our Players - NO

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not that I disagree, but some of the boxes can be checked off with one player. Like a top 4 RHD could be a good vet guy.

This is why I think it's going to be such a hard task for Staios (especially deciding who to move from our 'core'). I can only hope because hey, it can't possibly get worse.
I’m of the belief he is prioritizing Tanev to check two boxes.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m of the belief he is prioritizing Tanev to check two boxes.
I'd like to get him.. I think it will take an overpay in $ and term.
IMO there will be other better, competing teams that will give him 3 years at a competitive rate

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
One thing I like about Tanev is that even towards the end of his next deal, he'll probably be a fine 3RD and hopefully we can develop another top 4 guy by the time he declines

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You’d think that was a very easy thing to conclude, but reading you’d swear we were an 100+ point team with another goalie. It’s absolutely baffling to me.
No just in the running for the final wild card spot.

Not every team that makes the playoffs is built well.

Did you think Washington would be making the playoffs? Are they built well?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
there’s room for middle ground.

People see us missing a physical top 4 RD and a third line defnesie winger and say “this team stink we should be dead last!” Give me a break lmao. There are teams with missing pieces that make the playoffs. I think being so shit for so long as a lot of people thinking it’s “shit” or cup. I think it’s gonna be devastating to find out that even when we have those pieces we will still be out first round second round and will likely not win a cup.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Bertuzzi is softer than his size and reputation makes him out to be. He’s not a force out there.

also the wrong player for what they are trying to do - they don’t need hotheads that’ll cause distractions and fake urgency they are trying to teach guys like Brady to be under control and channel energy into focus. Betrtuzzi is a distraction I find, doesn’t always follow the pace of the game (Marchand being a master of this, Greig also showed this ability to turn it on and off at will)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Also just a reminder that Marc Methot said this 3 years ago.

He's a former player and a damn good one at that but his takes, while hot, are not exactly gospel. He was a big DJ fan as well. Being a former player does not guarantee analytical excellence.

He's trolling leaf fans. He has laughed about it

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I don't see that as unpopular. With how it ended, I could see a lot disagreeing at this point, but a lot of people were screaming this after 3 years. Okay, time to level up to the next one sort of thing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

-Top 4 RD
-New coach

Yep. After generating numerous spreadsheets, I think a top 4 RD, another mid priced goalie, and a middle six winger that is very moderately priced along with a new contract for Pinto of course is about the extent of what the budget will provide. I think some are averse to numbers/spreadsheets (or good equivalents) though.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
He's not wrong. The team as it sits today is not good enough, not nearly good enough. Thanks to years of PD pissing away draft capital they don't have the assets to get better via the trade route, it has to be free agency for the most part and there is not enough $$$ to do that.

Sure maybe you can trade Chychrun to recoup some assets and save a few dollars but there are too many holes to fill. Might be best to not do anything stupid by trading more futures and if team has to take another step sideways before moving forward so be it. They got in this mess trying to accelerate the process (Debrincat and Chychrun) notably.

Going to need some certainty on Norris before they can move forward. He almost needs to play a full season to prove he can stay healthy. what if he is not ready to go next season but is expected back in 3 months- where does that leave you. You get LTIR releif but you can't commit it to someone else for all season or multi seasons.

To get in the playoffs they have to pass Buffalo, Det and realistically one of Boston, Tampa, Fla or Toronto. Also have to stay ahead of Montreal. Maybe you can get WC2 out of metro but there are teams over there (jersey and Philly) that are likely better next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad