Injury Report: Marc Methot (Finger)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I personally don't see Crosby's slash being any different then any other slash, just the outcome. I mean if slashing is in the rulebook for a penalty, then how does this not get called? Or at least looked at after by the league afterwards. Players need to be held accountable one way or another... maybe you don't get called for it in the game but if the outcome is as freakish as this, I can't see how they don't react on it.

Yeah I didn't think the slash was THAT bad. I mean if you sit near the glass at games you can just HEAR the kind of slashes these guys take every single shift.

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
I was watching an episode of Mythbusters and they showed how resistant to impacts Linex (the truck liner spray paint stuff) was. Even dropped an egg from a building type resistant.
Why don't we spray hockey gloves with this stuff? Maybe that's the solution for Ryan?

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Bolts/Crunch fan coming in peace.
Absolutely should be a suspension coming for that. Reverse the roles and Crosby is enroute to the hospital via helicopter while medical staff is doing CPR on him and the NHL suits have already suspended Methot for the remainder of the season pending further review. Should not matter what your last name is or what team you play for, you MUST maintain and be responsible for controlling your stick. Crosby took an obvious (except to the on ice officials again) slash to Methot and totally destroyed Methot's finger. Not the first time Crosby has used his stick in an unsafe and illegal manner, but just as in the past, the league will probably look at the last name on his jersey and the team name on the front and Crosby wont even get the phone call, let alone have to visit the League Offices. Perfect example why, except for folks in Penguinland and his family, the rest of the knowledgeable hockey world hates his guts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah good point. The rest of the hockey world hates the best player in the league. Didn't Crosby get his teeth knocked out by an Evander Kane high stick the game before? No suspension? Because it's a part of the game. Post something that makes sense next time....

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
This was handled so badly, by everyone.
To the idiots calling it an accident: The severity of the outcome may have been unintended, but the act was intentional and malicious. Sid wasn't waving at his mom in the stands, and he wasn't delivering a token tap with the flat of his blade. He turned the heel of his stick toward Methot for maximum impact and he took a forceful hack.
It was clearly worth a penalty, but the refs chose to let it go, which happens. But because no hand went up, they then decided they couldn't do the right thing when it became obvious how bad the damage was. So, no five and a game. Not even a minor penalty.
Sid's attempt to minimize the act, and his failure to apologize, were sickening. The league's failure to impose even a fine is mystifying.
We probably could have done without Uncle Eugene's contributions, but at least he was honest about how he felt. Crosby, the Pens and the NHL, not so much.

To the idiots saying that Crosby altered the way he was holding his stick to inflict maximum damage on Methot's hand, use your head. There's a big difference on what Nyquist did quite literally flipping the point of his stick upwards to make sure that portion of the blade connected with Spurgeon's face. It's awful what happened to Methot and I agree wholeheartedly that Crosby should have publicly apologized but for people saying that this was a direct attempt to injure Methot and inflict maximum damage, keep your outlandish and ridiculous conspiracy theories in check....:shakehead

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
You can't argue that the result doesn't enter into it. You can't. Bertuzzi punched Moore in the back of the head twice - something that happens all the time. The horrific result was very much taken into account when giving the penalty, the suspension, and the fines. The entire incident was based on the injuries and the result. That the NHL decides, sometimes, not to take into account the injuries doesn't mean they shouldn't or don't. Sometimes they do. Fact of the matter is that the NHL has, and always will, just make it up as they go along in whatever way it serves their most recent thinking about whatever it is that is going on. It's the NHL - they don't have a way of doing things. Hell, just last night they couldn't get keeping time right in the Pens-Islanders game, and last week in the Leafs game they didn't even make sure there was a physical player in the penalty box... this is not a tight ship we're talking about.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
To the idiots saying that Crosby altered the way he was holding his stick to inflict maximum damage on Methot's hand, use your head. There's a big difference on what Nyquist did quite literally flipping the point of his stick upwards to make sure that portion of the blade connected with Spurgeon's face. It's awful what happened to Methot and I agree wholeheartedly that Crosby should have publicly apologized but for people saying that this was a direct attempt to injure Methot and inflict maximum damage, keep your outlandish and ridiculous conspiracy theories in check....:shakehead

No, there isn't much of a difference at all. We all know the history between these two teams (and players).

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
To hear people defend these types of plays with, "you see this every night - it happens all the time..."

It's just such a condemnation of the league and the officials and the players. It's exactly what makes the NHL such a bush league **** show.

That it happens all the time is a problem. That we are more concerned with sticks breaking or being knocked out of hands... it's just so screwed up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To hear people defend these types of plays with, "you see this every night - it happens all the time..."

It's just such a condemnation of the league and the officials and the players. It's exactly what makes the NHL such a bush league **** show.

That it happens all the time is a problem. That we are more concerned with sticks breaking or being knocked out of hands... it's just so screwed up.

There is a difference in saying slashing to the hands happens a lot and defending that is does. Who is defending that? It would be ridiculous to defend it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There is a difference in saying slashing to the hands happens a lot and defending that is does. Who is defending that? It would be ridiculous to defend it.

When somebody says it should be suspended because of the injury it caused, the defense seems to be but it happens all the time, it's just a hockey play gone wrong.

That to me is a culture that is normalizing something that should happen; excusing it.

If the only defense is that this type of illegal slash happens so frequently, therefore you can't possible suspend for when it causes a major injury, that's a problem imo.

The problem is that those slashes happen all the time, and that needs to change. How do you change that if when you want to punish someone for doing it, you can't because it happens all the time?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When somebody says it should be suspended because of the injury it caused, the defense seems to be but it happens all the time, it's just a hockey play gone wrong.

That to me is a culture that is normalizing something that should happen; excusing it.

If the only defense is that this type of illegal slash happens so frequently, therefore you can't possible suspend for when it causes a major injury, that's a problem imo.

The problem is that those slashes happen all the time, and that needs to change. How do you change that if when you want to punish someone for doing it, you can't because it happens all the time?

I agree it needs to change. A slash to the hand is worse than a slash to the stick, which they call if the stick breaks or the stick is dropped or if the ref thinks it is warranted. Unfortunately it really does happen a lot , several times a game. NHL leaves a lot to the discretion of the referees. For this problem to get better they will need to call all slashing with more of a 0 tolerance.

Its been pretty common for a long time to hack another player's stick to try to make him lose control of the puck. Often the stick becomes the hand intentionally or not and sometimes the hand is injured. The sticks these days break so calls are made now, that were not in the past.. They may need to enforce all slashing to the stick / hands to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

When you start punishing more frequently it will slowly start to stop

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I agree that it needs to get called on the ice more frequently.

The problem now is, as you mentioned, a slash breaking a stick or causing the player to drop it is more frequently called, so there's actually an incentive to slash closer to the hand where it's a) less likely to snap the stick, and b) if you miss and hit the hand, unlikely to get called anyways unless it's real bad (and even then it gets missed sometimes).

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I agree it needs to change. A slash to the hand is worse than a slash to the stick, which they call if the stick breaks or the stick is dropped or if the ref thinks it is warranted. Unfortunately it really does happen a lot , several times a game. NHL leaves a lot to the discretion of the referees. For this problem to get better they will need to call all slashing with more of a 0 tolerance.

Its been pretty common for a long time to hack another player's stick to try to make him lose control of the puck. Often the stick becomes the hand intentionally or not and sometimes the hand is injured. The sticks these days break so calls are made now, that were not in the past.. They may need to enforce all slashing to the stick / hands to get rid of it.
I agree. By calling the slashes to the sticks you are also indirectly discouraging the accidental slashes to the hand. A slash that leads to the stick breaking is easy to spot and to call, but the refs seem to be having more trouble spotting the slashes to the hand.

edit: But Micklebot making a good point about the slashes aiming more at the hand.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Now this is becoming too big of a deal. Players should have taken care of Crosby. Or they should have a plan for it down the road IF they even see it as a big deal. All our whining doesn't fix it

The Senator players on the ice at the time of the incident disappointed me. I expect some Senator players to react next time these teams play. a few good whacks in retribution are due.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, I agree that it needs to get called on the ice more frequently.

The problem now is, as you mentioned, a slash breaking a stick or causing the player to drop it is more frequently called, so there's actually an incentive to slash closer to the hand where it's a) less likely to snap the stick, and b) if you miss and hit the hand, unlikely to get called anyways unless it's real bad (and even then it gets missed sometimes).

Ignored sometimes too.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

you start by suspending guys. If Staal was suspended for breaking Gaudreau's hand would there have been as many hand slashes between then and now? If Crosby was given a few games for what he did would there be as many going forward? The NHL has a track record of suspending the result. They had an opportunity in both these situations to send a message and IMO it's shameful that they didn't.

It was a garden variety slash but a penalty just the same. The severity of the injury resulting from an illegal play warranted league action. Sadly there are probably 600 guys that would have been suspended for that but Sydney isn't one of them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Senator players on the ice at the time of the incident disappointed me. I expect some Senator players to react next time these teams play. a few good whacks in retribution are due.

This has always been the case with this team & I don't expect it to change. IMO there will be no retribution for this incident especially against the leagues golden poster boy. Considering what Melnyk did the league & the refs will likely put an end to anything before it starts.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Really? They saw a slash that wasn't particularly vicious (it's not like Crosby raised his stick behind his head and came down full force on Methot's hands) and they saw Methot go in for a few shoves on his own (thinking he was fine).

I'm not sure what sort of immediate reaction you were looking for.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Go back and read the thread, I'm not the one that brought up the analogy to jail. It's not the point I was or am making at all. It's essential comparing a labour/civil issue with the criminal courts.

I think the NHL supp disciplinary system operates on a burden of proof (Civil Standard) and NOT the criminal standard of beyond a reasonable doubt. All I was advocating for is that perhaps more of the principles of civil actions be adopted - i.e. that the team who lose access to a player due to an injury caused by a play deemed to be illegal and suspendable receive a benefit for their loss - I think that's pretty straight forward, and fair. I totally get that it's controversial, but it's not so out of the realm of being a legit way of handling it.

The principal of civil law and tort law is restorative -- to put the plaintiff back in the position had the wrong not happened. How does suspending Crosby for the length of time Methot is out achieve that? Yes, punitive damages are available in civil law but it is not the idea behind civil law.

You seem to be arguing for retributive justice, which is more associated with criminal law. If you believe an eye for an eye is what is fair then that's fine, but I don't see how comparing it to civil law principles makes sense as an argument. Just because something is the law does not make it right or moral.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
The principal of civil law and tort law is restorative -- to put the plaintiff back in the position had the wrong not happened. How does suspending Crosby for the length of time Methot is out achieve that? Yes, punitive damages are available in civil law but it is not the idea behind civil law.

You seem to be arguing for retributive justice, which is more associated with criminal law. If you believe an eye for an eye is what is fair then that's fine, but I don't see how comparing it to civil law principles makes sense as an argument. Just because something is the law does not make it right or moral.

Maybe Sid should have to pay Methot's salary until Methot can come back? And his salary can count against Pittsburgh's cap instead of Ottawa's?

... not a very elegant way of dealing with it. Sid should just eat a big suspension for maiming someone and be done with it, but obviously Sid could take a guy's eye out with a tomahawk on the ice and the league wouldn't even slap him on the wrist, so *shrug*

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Maybe Sid should have to pay Methot's salary until Methot can come back? And his salary can count against Pittsburgh's cap instead of Ottawa's?

... not a very elegant way of dealing with it. Sid should just eat a big suspension for maiming someone and be done with it, but obviously Sid could take a guy's eye out with a tomahawk on the ice and the league wouldn't even slap him on the wrist, so *shrug*

i think the simplest thing would be our team two hand slashing crosby on the glove and if the league suspends us for it then stir up a **** storm

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

Never said he intended to hack off a finger. I said maximum impact, not maximum damage. But if you turn the narrow edge of your stick toward the target, you are increasing the intensity of the blow. That was not a token tap.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Slashing hands and wrists is a way of delivering punishment to another player without being called for it and it seems to be a Crosby specialty:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2012/10/17...-wrists-but-if-he-did-hes-not-sorry-about-it/

Giroux underwent offseason surgery on his wrists — one of which was fractured — and later told the Timmins Press the injuries came courtesy Sid the Kid:

“Those are from Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists.

“I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Is anyone else wondering if there's any pieces of finger inside that glove? Yuck

Like seriously, did the trainer shake the glove out to make sure they got it all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad