Marc Crawford

Should Crawford be Extended?

• Total voters

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It seems like the Sens are going to do a long interview process for the new coach, which includes Marc Crawford.

When he first took over I was pretty adamant that I wanted him gone after the season. I still would rather a new coach, but I'm starting to think I wouldn't be that upset if he stayed, based on the way the team played after he took over.

What are everyone's thoughts on the job he did and his future with the club?

Last edited:

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Dorion needs to test the waters. Hopefully he he has a qualified helper,

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s an excellent coach and he seems to still have the burning desire to coach - and most importantly he had some time away from the NHL to get his head together after he left Vancouver and things went stale for him.

He needs to hire an assistant who was an NHK Dman and you heard him read off his list of assistants he had before - he’ll get it right.

If it’s not him make it Luke Richardson.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Crawford was under no pressure after Boucher was canned.. Never liked him before. Not buying in now.

I should add though with Dorion at the helm... we could definitely do worse

In all fairness, Boucher actually had some good players on his roster before we traded them away. I don't think we should blindly extend Crawford, but he did exceed my expectations. He definitely should get his chance at the job, but if money isn't an object and/or some other candidate acquires the ability to walk on water, then there should be more qualified candidates available.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In all fairness, Boucher actually had some good players on his roster before we traded them away. I don't think we should blindly extend Crawford, but he did exceed my expectations. He definitely should get his chance at the job, but if money isn't an object and/or some other candidate acquires the ability to walk on water, then there should be more qualified candidates available.

The blue line has to be fixed or it won't matter.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Has anyone seen the prices being paid for experienced coaches? Quenneville is getting $6 million a year on a five year deal in Florida. McLellan has a bidding war going for his services between Buffalo and LA, and will get big money for at least four, maybe five years. Dan Bylsma is apparently a top candidate in Philly. Heck, we couldn't even afford the new "hot" AHL candidate in Sheldon Keefe - the Leafs recently locked him up to a new deal that likely pays him more than Boucher was making with us.

Given that the odds of Euge spending big and giving a ton of term to a "name" coach are zero, we basically have two choices. Either re-up Crow, who has a ton of NHL experience and a Cup ring, or we go bargain shopping for another Cory Clouston type. I think we are far better off sticking with what we have and what we know as opposed to taking that kind of risk.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
We SHOULD be targetting the coach we want running this team from what it is now to where we want it to be.

An established NHL coach on a 3-5 year deal.

But...that's not happening cuz we cheap.

Constantly questioning the coaching staff under a rebuild is just a distraction. Makes it much harder to evaluate the success of your rebuild if you aren't 100% on your coach in the short and long term. But it is what it is

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sorry Eugene, but you've got to open your wallet, no matter what. The salary cap is going up, coach salaries are going up, and people want a good experience at the rink (that's not talking about anything on the ice).

Crawford was the recipient of the new coach effect. I don't see him being successful as the official coach of the Sens.

...then again, with this roster, no one is going to be successful.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't think he's a good choice. I also think he's essentially a lock to get the gig.

The coaching search will probably go much like President of Hockey Operations search - quality candidates will not be interested. The Senators coaching carousel is for retreads and nobodies exclusively.

The ultimate in hilarity might be if Crawford himself tells the team to take a hike and goes back to Zurich. For more money! Sounds absurd, but the idea has already been floated in the national hockey media.

Reactions: DrEasy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think he's a good choice. I also think he's essentially a lock to get the gig.

The coaching search will probably go much like President of Hockey Operations search - quality candidates will not be interested. The Senators coaching carousel is for retreads and nobodies exclusively.

The ultimate in hilarity might be if Crawford himself tells the team to take a hike and goes back to Zurich. For more money! Sounds absurd, but the idea has already been floated in the national hockey media.
It is absurd because he would have never left if he could get more money being a head coach in Switzerland.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He and his wife already did the Switzerland thing, and like most North Americans he went over there for a few years, made some money and saw Europe, then came home. It's hard to imagine him going back there at age 58. After 30 years in coaching he's likely made his nest egg and doesn't really need the money. What he really wants is one more shot as an NHL Head Coach, and the only place he's likely to get it is here.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Nothing wrong with him personally but the Sens need a complete change in structure including defensive zone coverage. Not sure Crawford will be able to do this. I have voted no. New coach with a new philosophy is needed.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It is absurd because he would have never left if he could get more money being a head coach in Switzerland.
He was promised and convinced by Boucher to come back to the NHL
For a NHL team that had at that moment the best D in the game and Stone Mac Arthur Methot Turris brassard and Hoffman
A team that almost made it to the cup

We are FAR from that nowadays

F
A
R

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ideally id want someone new with a different view, not sure if it has been mentioned on here but we need to remember that Crow was manning the bench along with Guy over the past few years and I believe was generally responsible for a league worse defense (personnel considerations aside, thanks Pierre!), rightly or wrongly he shares the blame. That said with the comical budget Gene sets and prides himself on for some reason we are going to be lucky to get really anything of substance....honestly wouldn't be surprised if Crawford walked to greener pastures as well which would be hilarious!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He seems to have evolved from a tyrant to a more modern coach. I feel he has a good read on the players. I don't know who they will hire, but I want a coach with NHL experience, and credentials.

I wonder, and wish someone would ask him, how much input he had under Boucher, and was he basically to follow his script to a tee. It seems like he is more unshackled and free to coach in his manner

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I'd rather the Sens hired a new coach, but wouldn't be upset if he was extended. I would like to see a coach with proven track record of working with young players on a rebuilding team. With Melnyk's reputation and budget, I don't know who might be available.

While the games meant nothing to close out the season and there was little pressure to win those games, I liked how Crawford let the young players play their natural game. I also liked his allotment of ice time for the young guys, while benching a useless so called veteran player in Boedkar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad