Speculation: Marc Bergevin's next move?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Full disclosure I'm not a big fan of Bergevin, however for all these trade Galchenyuk posts is there any substance to this?

What is the reason for believing Galchenyuk isn't valued highly within our management team?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Full disclosure I'm not a big fan of Bergevin, however for all these trade Galchenyuk posts is there any substance to this?

What is the reason for believing Galchenyuk isn't valued highly within our management team?

Have you seen how they have treated him?

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
If Beaulieu falters as the top pairing LD the team will be in trouble because they don't have a defenseman who can skate the puck out of the zone against tight checking teams.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If Beaulieu falters as the top pairing LD the team will be in trouble because they don't have a defenseman who can skate the puck out of the zone against tight checking teams.

Beaulieu's greatest accomplishment to date was outlasting Tinordi. I don't foresee his appearing in an all-star game unless it's in the AHL. Sergachev casts a long shadow on him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Years of mismanaged opportunities & favouritism to Tyrion Lannister would be a pretty good starting point.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I agree that acquiring a young, mobile, top 2 LD would be nice. This being said, if Beaulieu boom, he could be that player.

Personally, who we will pair Weber with is the least of my worries. He is a top 5D in this league. Top 10 for the haters. He and Markov would make a very decent first pair. Weber is not a slow player, folks need to destroy this beliefs. (Nor is he an explosive skater tho)

I think a top6 LW or a true, big 1C would be the biggest need right now, unless Galchenyuk explode big time (Which i believe is very realistic).

A top 6LW could be easily acquired at TDL given all the picks and abundance of prospects we have.

I think it will be his next move. Come January, if we are at the top of the standings. MB will move early to acquire an offensive winger.

Moving shortly before the TDL may be too late for a team that is in the bottom half of the conference. Let 's hope it isn't necessary.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

After the way that the subban saga played out, there are some questions we have to ask. Like subban, he's signed onto a bridge deal rather than the long term option, and he does have certain headlines from off ice incident(s), which the team seems to be sensitive about.

I think management actually values him highly as a big piece going forward, but I also thought the same of Subban, and I was wrong.

Bottom line, there is no concrete evidence to suggest that management does not value him highly, but there's enough out there to ask questions at least.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Have you seen how they have treated him?

Not everyone shares that made up opinion. Galchenyuk has never said a word about being treated poorly. For me watching him play his entire NHL career I've thought he was handled fine, until the end of this year he wasn't demonstrating what was necessary to be a top line player, he was alway's flashy but never solid, consistent or always intelligent with the puck.

If you look at his stats he has progressed in points every year with us, that is a player who was brought up slowly and nourished through his early years. Now he is where we want him, he is signed to a bridge deal on the final year, he will be given every opportunity this year in the top 6 and at the end of it if he has a solid year he will get paid either by us or someone else, poor Galchenyuk treated so unfairly.

Beaulieu's greatest accomplishment to date was outlasting Tinordi. I don't foresee his appearing in an all-star game unless it's in the AHL. Sergachev casts a long shadow on him.

Beaulieu is sloppy defensively with a sub-par shot. I don't see him going much further, I like his willingness to drop the gloves. if he doesn't improve this year he will be replaced next summer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Beaulieu is sloppy defensively with a sub-par shot. I don't see him going much further, I like his willingness to drop the gloves. if he doesn't improve this year he will be replaced next summer.

And yet ... so many posters here projecting him as Weber's pairing D. What gives? I don't see how Weber takes that next step now, not until he proves he's at least a viable top 4 first.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
And yet ... so many posters here projecting him as Weber's pairing D. What gives? I don't see how Weber takes that next step now, not until he proves he's at least a viable top 4 first.

It's not outside the realm of possibility to me anyways, that he could be Weber's partner.

Beau has a pretty good pass, and he is a good skater and I could see him being the guy to skate the puck up the ice, he is mobile. They might work together seeing as Weber is strong defensively where Beau lacks, and lets face it Beaus shot is not the great but if he is paired with weber... Who's going to be doing the shooting.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
It's hard to say Bergevins next move. In order of likely hood for me:

1. Invite & sign someone on a pro tryout.

2. Nothing.

3. Continue to go after Shipachev. I think that now we have Radulov Shipachev 50% more likely to sign with us.

4. Trade one of our prospects for offensive help. In my opinion Lehkonen could land us a top 9 player 1 for 1 right now.

I don't think we will get a defenseman, am i the only one who has alot of faith in Pateryn?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm surprised Vermette hasn't been mentioned.

I think he should be on the radar on a cheap one year contract. Tomas Plekanec has been the go to defensive centre of the Canadiens for years. But will he stay healthy forever? Adding Vermette would allow MT to promote Pacman with Chucky and Radulov, and create greater competition in the bottom six. Given the cap situation and the youth push, I would expect Pacman-Pleky-Gallagher to be the go to line with Andrighetto, Carr and Hudon competing to play with Galchenyuk and Radulov in a line given offensive zone starts primarily. Danault-Desharnais-Shaw, and Byron-Mitchell-Flynn in the bottom six. Vermette might be a deadline acquisition instead. If they did get him, with the players acquired and Muller on the staff it would be hard to see the Habs not being a top 3 team on the PK.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not everyone shares that made up opinion. Galchenyuk has never said a word about being treated poorly. For me watching him play his entire NHL career I've thought he was handled fine, until the end of this year he wasn't demonstrating what was necessary to be a top line player, he was alway's flashy but never solid, consistent or always intelligent with the puck.

If you look at his stats he has progressed in points every year with us, that is a player who was brought up slowly and nourished through his early years. Now he is where we want him, he is signed to a bridge deal on the final year, he will be given every opportunity this year in the top 6 and at the end of it if he has a solid year he will get paid either by us or someone else, poor Galchenyuk treated so unfairly.

Made up opinion??????? :amazed:
Wow.
Ok.
I'm done.
Someone else take over. I need a break from the lemmings.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

someone needs to ask McCagg how many times Galchenyuk has been late to practices.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Made up opinion??????? :amazed:
Wow.
Ok.
I'm done.
Someone else take over. I need a break from the lemmings.

Well can you put some substance behind your claim? Without using the word Desharnais?

I don't know why you find it so offensive that you need a time out. Talking just hockey he was brought along slowly which isn't that unusual, now he's looking great and he is going to get paid, happy ending to a story of a kid who started in the NHL at 18 years old and wasn't even a jack eichel or patrick laine type player, he wasn't even a sure fire lock to start in the NHL.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Galchenyuk for Vanek most likely. Probably a Therrien backed move.

Mad Brills*

Galchenyuk for Vanek most likely. Probably a Therrien backed move.

Galchenyuk for couture makes the weber/subban criteria.

Krejci would be another one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad