Marc Bergevin's Actual 2019 Draft List

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Dale Tallon is also a francophone. And probably some Ass Gm’s we don’t know about... so it’s hard to pin down.

Not that hard... 99% sure its Dorion from the context of the conversation, asking to move #19 for #15 + a pick. Don't think assistant GMs handle those tasks, especially trades in the first round, but I could be wrong.

Don't see the Habs moving 15 to 52 (Florida was picking at 13), nor from 15 to 27 (Tampa had no 2nd round pick), nor from 15 to 61 (New Jersey).

It's Dorion. It was rumored that Ottawa was trying to move up on draft day as well, which fits the bill.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The list... my guess.

First list is 11 players in a group that they really like, and would use their pick if available. Krebs was at #6 but not selected due to late injury.

Second list (left lower) is players the Habs aren't considering at #15 but could go before the Habs pick.

Third list (right side) is a ranking of the Habs' next tier, and they would consider moving down from #15 if none of their top 11 are available.

Put it together and you have their top 11, then a bit of a drop to a next tier.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The list... my guess.

First list is 11 players in a group that they really like, and would use their pick if available. Krebs was at #6 but not selected due to late injury.

Second list (left lower) is players the Habs aren't considering at #15 but could go before the Habs pick.

Third list (right side) is a ranking of the Habs' next tier, and they would consider moving down from #15 if none of their top 11 are available.

Put it together and you have their top 11, then a bit of a drop to a next tier.

ding ding ding

Whileee

May 29, 2010
ding ding ding

Note that in the video of Bergevin and Habs' scouts at the draft, they mentioned that they still needed a couple of other teams to help them to get one of their top tier players at #15.

Once Buffalo takes Cozens, Edmonton takes Broberg, Arizona takes Soderstrom and Florida takes Knight they know that they will have Caufield and Krebs available from their top group. They go with Caufield, probably because of the late injury to Krebs. It's still unknown if they would have taken Krebs at 15 if Caufield wasn't available. My guess is "yes", because I think they had decided to keep the pick after the Panthers took the goalie (before the Flyers took York), but I'd have to review the video.

So, if that's the case, you could perhaps synthesize a Habs' priority list as follows:

Top tier:

1.Hughes
2.Kakko
3.Zegras
4.Byram
5.Turcotte
6.Krebs (*injury moves him out of this tier)
7. Boldy
8.Podkolzin
9.Dach
10.Caufield
11.Seider

Next tier:

12. Newhook
13. Thomson
14. Heinola
15. Harley
16. Soderstrom
17. Suzuki
18. York
19. Poulin

One more interesting tidbit - my guess is that Ottawa was targeting Krebs or perhaps Newhook, which was why they were trying to move up to #15.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I think you're overestimating the importance of Krebs' injury, but other than that I agree with everything. We don't have his medical records and know what they've concluded. You actually might end up being right, but you also might be wrong. You don't know.

I think players on that note might not be in a specific order. It is written on a peace of paper and maybe Bergevin didn't remember the order of the players on their list when he put that together. Or maybe he didn't just care. It's purpose is just to help him with moving down if needed. But it is quite clearly the 11 player list they were happy to stay at #15 imo.

And Timmins was saying in a post-draft interview that they were deciding between two players at that #15 spot. Safe to say to second player was Krebs. But they also had decided to target Caufield even before Boldy was picked.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I think you're overestimating the importance of Krebs' injury, but other than that I agree with everything. We don't have his medical records and know what they've concluded. You actually might end up being right, but you also might be wrong. You don't know.

I think players on that note might not be in a specific order. It is written on a peace of paper and maybe Bergevin didn't remember the order of the players on their list when he put that together. Or maybe he didn't just care. It's purpose is just to help him with moving down if needed. But it is quite clearly the 11 player list they were happy to stay at #15 imo.

And Timmins was saying in a post-draft interview that they were deciding between two players at that #15 spot. Safe to say to second player was Krebs. But they also had decided to target Caufield even before Boldy was picked.
Timmins was very high on Newhook also

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Timmins was very high on Newhook also
Was he? Never heard him say that.

Only rumor I heard was from Grant McCagg saying the Habs really liked Thomson... For what it's worth. Must give it to the guy, he was right a few times in the past about Habs picks in his mocks/tweets (Kotkaniemi, Poeling, among others).

Also, the "leaked list" discussed here puts Newhook in the same tier as Thomson, Heinola, Harley, Suzuki, etc. which tend to give credit to the Krebs vs Caufield theory. The injury must have played a factor in their choice.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Not high enough to put him on their top 11.
They weren't picking top 11. Newhook reported himself to the Newfoundland media that Timmins met with him several times throughout the season. He even reported to CBC Newfoundland around the draft that the Habs and Avs showed the most interest in him.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Was he? Never heard him say that.

Only rumor I heard was from Grant McCagg saying the Habs really liked Thomson... For what it's worth. Must give it to the guy, he was right a few times in the past about Habs picks in his mocks/tweets (Kotkaniemi, Poeling, among others).

Also, the "leaked list" discussed here puts Newhook in the same tier as Thomson, Heinola, Harley, Suzuki, etc. which tend to give credit to the Krebs vs Caufield theory. The injury must have played a factor in their choice.
Yes he was, Newhook himself stated so in a draft interview with CBC , plus we have a Newfie poster on the Avs board that can confirm this as well.

If you look at the leaked list isn't Newhook on at the top on that side :dunno:.

I was also told this by a childhood friend and ex junior teammate of Dan Cleary who works here in Nova Scotia with a buddy of mine.

I'm not sure why it matters that you're disputing this so much.

I'm not disagreeing that they liked Thompson and some others as well

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I'm just glad that another GM had Thompson ranked high a lot of Sens fans felt like they could have had Thompson at 32 or that we could have traded down for an extra pick, but seeing Bergevin having him ranked at 13 makes me feel better about the pick and i'm sure other fans have the same feeling.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'm just glad that another GM had Thompson ranked high a lot of Sens fans felt like they could have had Thompson at 32 or that we could have traded down for an extra pick, but seeing Bergevin having him ranked at 13 makes me feel better about the pick and i'm sure other fans have the same feeling.

It wouldn't have been crazy for Thomson to still be there at 32 or a few spots higher but an offensively gifted RHD with a good frame? Yeah NHL teams like those guys, wouldn't do that gamble if I'm Ottawa.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad