Marc Bergevin Named 2016 Team Canada Assistant General Manager

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Along with Bobby Clarke and Pierre Gauthier, Gainey was given the responsibility of selecting Canada's men's ice hockey squad for the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan.

And yet they pretty much selected every big name players but failed to win; pretty much like 2006

Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Curtis Joseph

Ray Bourque
Al MacInnis
Rob Blake
Adam Foote
Éric Desjardins
Chris Pronger
Scott Stevens

Eric Lindros
Joe Nieuwendyk
Theoren Fleury
Wayne Gretzky
Keith Primeau
Joe Sakic
Rod Brind'Amour
Brendan Shanahan
Shayne Corson
Steve Yzerman
Mark Recchi
Rob Zamuner
Trevor Linden

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
So Stevie Y wins gold and then is flushed.
I'm thinking Stevie wants no part of international competition anymore after St. Louis's childish freakout/trade demand after originally being cut from the Olympics. You could argue that Tampa became better after the trade, but no GM wants drama like that being a factor in their NHL teams.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
What the heck is the World Cup Of Hockey? Aren't there enough flippin world tournaments with the World Juniors, Olympics, Spengler Cup and probably a bunch of other I'm forgetting?

Honestly...who really cares about this nonsense? It should the Olympics every four years and that's IT.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How many grinders will he try and get on the team?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What the heck is the World Cup Of Hockey? Aren't there enough flippin world tournaments with the World Juniors, Olympics, Spengler Cup and probably a bunch of other I'm forgetting?

Honestly...who really cares about this nonsense? It should the Olympics every four years and that's IT.

I care, I miss the world cup.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Along with Bobby Clarke and Pierre Gauthier, Gainey was given the responsibility of selecting Canada's men's ice hockey squad for the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan.

Gainey was a great GM for Stars, I believe he built that team that won the cup that year or the year after...

Funny thing is Doug Armstrong who is now the GM of team Canada, was Gainey right hand man for many years in Dallas.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Funny thing is this is Berevin 3rd season as GM, 2 out of the 3 years, he was voted as one of the top 3 GMs in the league by other GM btw not the media, and gtes appointed as Ast.GM of team Canada..

Hmmm HFboard keeps telling me that he is an idiot for keeping MT, and is running Galchenyuk blabla, yet the hockey world saying otherwise..

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Funny thing is this is Berevin 3rd season as GM, 2 out of the 3 years, he was voted as one of the top 3 GMs in the league by other GM btw not the media, and gtes appointed as Ast.GM of team Canada..

Hmmm HFboard keeps telling me that he is an idiot for keeping MT, and is running Galchenyuk blabla, yet the hockey world saying otherwise..

Worst GM in the game...Gets us Mitchell when we need Malkin

:sarcasm:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Would be good for him to get experience with other GMs and how they operate. Maybe it'll open his perspectives a bit.

I'm glad they acknowledge him but I'm also afraid it's only going to render him more arrogant and set in his grinding ways but the exposure to other great minds can't hurt, can it?

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Hmmm. Well MB has proven he can take credit for a decent team if all of the important pieces are given to him first

Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, that 3rd overall pick. What an architect

Also those beautiful Eller, Desharnais, and Emelin contracts. What a genius!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Hmmm. Well MB has proven he can take credit for a decent team if all of the important pieces are given to him first

Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, that 3rd overall pick. What an architect

Also those beautiful Eller, Desharnais, and Emelin contracts. What a genius!
Don't forget the Therrien extension and the Subban contract fiasco ;)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Real cool, good for him. I think he's a great GM. Not without his mistakes, but what GM doesn't make mistakes?

Stevie Y should be the GM imo, but I seem to recall him not wanting to take part? I may be mistaken though.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Just want to point out that DD is Therrien's boy. Bergevin has said numerous times that he doesn't tell Therrien where to put his players. He has, however, traded away guys that he thought Therrien wasn't using properly, but he won't micromanage.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Real cool, good for him. I think he's a great GM. Not without his mistakes, but what GM doesn't make mistakes?

Stevie Y should be the GM imo, but I seem to recall him not wanting to take part? I may be mistaken though.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure SY said he didn't want to be apart of it this year. If he wanted to, i'm positive he would have been at least involved to some degree.

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
He gave too many bad contracts for me to consider him one of the best gms. He's an ass in press conferences and bashes his best center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad