Rumor: Marc Bergevin meets with team leaders, without Therrien

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
dayummmm if it's true

I said few days ago, these next 5 games are huge....
We go 1-4 /1-3`1 / or 2 -3 ....The heat is goona be on Therrien bigtime...

With Claude sitting there who is a legit replacement for Therrien ...

Either way , if we miss the playoff or lose in round 1 or even round 2 ...I think Therrien is gone .

Therrien got to get this team to atleast round 3 or the cup...IMHO

Last edited:

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
I think it's more likely a case of MB inquiring about how they feel about Galchenyuk and Beaulieu, how they fit in, how their work ethic is like off-ice and how would they feel about moving them for player(s) X.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
My God...why is this even being discussed? Not sure if this actually happened and if it did...we will never know what the meeting was about.

Either way, hopefully we and more importantly the media takes this little this tid bit of info and runs with it. Would be nice to get this 'fire MT' ball rolling a little bit.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm interpreting this in one of 2 possible ways:

1) MB is laying it into his team leaders, saying that the way the team has been playing recently is unacceptable and that things need to change if they want to be competitive in the playoffs (or even make it for that matter). Then MB did the same with MT, saying how he need to find a way to get more out of his players for the same reasons as mentioned.

2) MB is asking his leadership group how they feel about a potential coaching change, whether its Muller taking over for the season, or adding someone like Claude Julien. MB then proceeds to tell MT that he has until the bye week to get some wins, or he'll be packing.

If the GM has to keep going into the dressing room (last year and this year during a slide) to try to get a message across, what does this say about the coach?

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I'm talking about the local media who apparently are questioning whether or not he can be a number one centre. And this comes after he was a top five scorer before coming back from injury.

Some are starting to suggest he'd be better off the wing...

As for Mackenzie, I agree completely. We should just play the hell out of him and our top offensive players. That's what most teams do when they go into scoring slumps. Instead we promote David freaking Desharnais...

fair enough :)

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
They don't say if the meeting with MT was before or after the one with the players. It could be MB trying to see what the two sides have to say. It's like any boss meeting with two employees separately to see what's each of them have to say about a certain issue.

Dans Les Coulisses say that they have sources that have told them two stories:

1- After the Sharks game when Carey was pulled, he and MT got into a heated argument where MT told Price that if he doesn't want to get pulled, he should stop the puck.

2- After Shaw took his stupid penalty against Philly last Thursday, MT laid it into Shaw in the 2nd intermission before benching him the entire 3rd period. Apparently, his teammates didn't like that.

I don't know if there is any truth to these reports by DLC. But if there is, I'm not sure MB would let his star goaltender and his face of the franchise who is close to the end of his contract AND a newly acquired player he values a lot remain unhappy and continue to not want this coach anymore.

I'm sure there was/is some tension between Price and Therrien but I can't imagine even Therrien saying that to the goalie who has carried him for the past few years. Who knows though, he was comfortable calling out his best skater right in front of the media last season. I guess that's what happens when there is no accountability within the organization anymore though.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Either way, hopefully we and more importantly the media takes this little this tid bit of info and runs with it. Would be nice to get this 'fire MT' ball rolling a little bit.

I think any other GM would have fired MT during the season last year. I was disappointed he was given a vote of confidence and brought back. I am not sure Molson was 100% sold on bringing him back but let Bergevin be the GM.

Saw 2 outdated coaches fired this past few weeks, Hitchcock and Julien. Both were great coaches but the game may have passed them by.

Therrien is nowhere near the quality of those two coaches yet I am 100% convinced MB will never fire him. Molson seems to have little to no spine so he will let this continue. Folks need to boycott the Bell Center. No $$$ coming in will perhaps make Molson wake up.

No playoffs may also do it...

This organization can do better than this regarding management.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If the GM has to keep going into the dressing room (last year and this year during a slide) to try to get a message across, what does this say about the coach?

That he's a poor listener and communicator is what it says to me. You ever listen to his post game answers to the media? You ever listen to any press conference that he was ever in? I do and if you listen/believe what several former players have said, communication with the players is not one of his strong abilities.

You think everyone is quiet in that locker room while everything is going to ****? I guarantee its not, these guys work together and if things are going bad it definitely gets talked about. Maybe it was Therrien who asked Bergevin to come in and talk to them to mend some fences if you will. You can see something in the guys body language, they are definitely not dialled in.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Basically from Nicolas Poulin's twitter and Dany Dube's account, Berg met with Pacioretty, Weber and Price for an internal meeting. Without Therrien, that could only mean one thing...

Berg probably seeing what the leadership core thinks of their coach and the possibility of letting Therrien go.

Sources:
https://twitter.com/NicolasPoulin

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2017/2/9/14559794/report-marc-bergevin-meets-with-team-leaders-without-therrien-habs-rumors-yay-good-times-sigh

Bergevin is just looking for suggestions on what to get Michel for Valentine's Day.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Bergevin is just looking for suggestions on what to get Michel for Valentine's Day.

Maybe he feels those three are the best styled players.

Its Trade deadline soon. He has to pick out a suit? Does he go full on Tom Hanks beard in Castaway or just Hobo down the block look.

Big questions you need your leaders for

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
MB wanted to know about the room, and tell the core dudes,

"don't worry I will add a character guy in a week or so"

MT is on this team , I would be shocked if he is let go

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Maybe he feels those three are the best styled players.

Its Trade deadline soon. He has to pick out a suit? Does he go full on Tom Hanks beard in Castaway or just Hobo down the block look.

Big questions you need your leaders for

5GdwKa4.png

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Which leaders? This team doesn't have any. Price and Weber are good at the international level but it doesn't translate well at this sub level.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
[/B]

That he's a poor listener and communicator is what it says to me. You ever listen to his post game answers to the media? You ever listen to any press conference that he was ever in? I do and if you listen/believe what several former players have said, communication with the players is not one of his strong abilities.

You think everyone is quiet in that locker room while everything is going to ****? I guarantee its not, these guys work together and if things are going bad it definitely gets talked about. Maybe it was Therrien who asked Bergevin to come in and talk to them to mend some fences if you will. You can see something in the guys body language, they are definitely not dialled in.

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-barry-trotz-still-same-coach-in-new-city/c-746028
Joel Ward, who played for Trotz in Nashville and now in Washington, said his coach hasn't changed because of the exposure.

"He's the same guy," Ward said. "He's a people person. He cares about his players not as just hockey players, but as individuals. That goes a long way. Guys see that."

Niskanen, who didn't know Trotz until this season, said he has been exactly as advertised.

"The things he said he wants done, that's what he believes and he sticks to that with everyone," Niskanen said. "It's just black and white; this is what's expected. He's for sure not a phony."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ers_give_claude_julien_credit_for_development

Marchand credits deposed coach Claude Julien with that transformation.

“He was huge in my development,” Marchand said yesterday of the only NHL coach he has known. “He gave me a shot to be here. He gave me an opportunity to grow as a player. He didn’t push more on me than I could handle, and he always knew how to coach me and how to get the best out of me. He really pushed me every year to be better and to not be satisfied. He always used (Patrice Bergeron) as an example, to be more like him. He placed me with him to learn with him and grow with him and to be more like him. He always pushed me to get away from the agitating stuff and be more of a player. He always defended me and had my back. That’s one thing I always respected. When it came time, he always stuck up for me. I respected him, I do respect him tremendously, and I can definitely say I wouldn’t be the player I am today, I wouldn’t have been on the World Cup team, I wouldn’t be a Stanley Cup champion if he hadn’t been my coach the last seven or eight years.”

Patrice Bergeron said. “Claude has obviously meant a lot for me. I can only speak for myself as a player, but throughout my career with my development, I owe him a lot and wish him the best.”

Last edited:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Claude Julien? Do people really want him back? We make fun of him and hate him the whole time he was in Boston as well as his antics during the playoffs and we want him back? Didn't we not like him while he was our coach?
Yes, I can understand we don't like MT. Heck, we may want anyone over him, even the Zamboni driver over MT...but do we really want Julien back as our coach? The Leafs went out to get the best darn coach they can think of...can we not do the same or at least someone close? Do we have to settle with Julien?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Asked if he thought any players had “tuned out†Julien, Tuukka Rask said no.

“He changed too,†the goalie said. “It wasn’t like he was the same guy the nine or 10 years he was here. He realized that if you keep sending the same message all the time, it’s going to get old. He recognized that, and he changed and he improved. That wasn’t the case. I don’t think anyone was tuning him out.â€

.....http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ers_give_claude_julien_credit_for_development

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad