Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Schwing.

FPmDBSNXsAUPwcw
Says his new Wild helmet should be available by the Blues game

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Am I the only one who didn't get this pick up? I mean, we have an NHL all star sitting on the bench right now (Talbot).

The second I heard we had picked up MAF, I just kind of scratched my head. I guess if it works out (and we win the Cup), it will have looked genius, but do you really think he's going to lead us to the Promised Land?

If anything I think it made a sure thing/choice (Talbot as our guy in the postseason this year) muddled.

Maybe that's just me, but I feel like it caused a question in search of a problem.

I get that Talbot had a bad stretch, but all goalies do.

Anyways, my two cents...

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Oh Lord. Can you then admit that goalies can be streaky. Meanwhile Kuemper might just roll the Avs to their Third Cup this year, and I will bet my house that Kahkonen will come back down the road to bite us.

You are acting like Talbot is a bum.

The point is, goalies are nuts, and streaky.

We should have kept Kahkonen, and started Talbot this postseason.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Oh Lord. Can you then admit that goalies can be streaky. Meanwhile Kuemper might just roll the Avs to their Third Cup this year, and I will bet my house that Kahkonen will come back down the road to bite us.

Talking about streaky; Kahkonen was streaky as hell.

I love Kahkonen and thought Minnesota made a mistake moving him, but that's water under the bridge.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Talking about streaky; Kahkonen was streaky as hell.

I love Kahkonen and thought Minnesota made a mistake moving him, but that's water under the bridge.

Truth be told I don't get the MAF pick up at all. I guess if he's thinking about keeping MAF, then moving Talbot? Then maybe it makes sense?? I have no idea.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Truth be told I don't get the MAF pick up at all. I guess if he's thinking about keeping MAF, then moving Talbot? Then maybe it makes sense?? I have no idea.

I understand the reasoning behind it. I think the 1st should never have been a part of the conversation, but I get why the trade was made on principle. And it hasn't worked out the way Guerin wanted so far, but that's the risk he was fine with taking.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Talbot was the most underqualified tender in the ASG, by a large margin. I'd take that bet on Khakonnen. He was the epitome of "streaky" and was renowned by the entire league as a career 1B or backup and aside from a few streaks, his play never elevated consistently to be seen as more than this. Things have changed since this organization drafted Wallstedt, who is considered to be one of the best goalie prospects in the last decade, with most outlets comparing him to Carey Price and consider him a future Vezina candidate. With Khakonnen due for a raise now, Talbot having another year, and the inbound goalie of the future, I think the deal we got for Khakonnen was just fine and the timing works out.

HOWEVER, I was ripped to shreds on this board on the TDL for implying that Fleury's poor season to that point in Chicago was not solely based on the team in front of him, and that he was having a poor year in several sans team statistics/metrics. I didn't see MAF being an upgrade over Cam either, but I didn't hate the price considering we had 3 2nd rounders, he has decent playoff experience for the room, and I still didn't think we'd make the conference finals which would result in us losing our first. I thought it was worth a shot, and at this point, it has not been effective, at least for on-ice results. While his numbers have improved since coming here somewhat, when comparing MAF and Cam in the final stretch after the TDL (after the acquisitions of Middleton, Dlo, etc) their stats weren't close.

Since March 21st:

Talbot GAA: 2.27
Talbot SV%: .925

Fleury GAA: 2.74
Fleury SV%: .908

Geurin gambled, so far it has not worked out in the way they would have hoped but can't fault him for trying.

Reactions: HotDish

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Well Talbot finished the season 13-0-3, so...I really do think the guy was screwed over.

Southern Minny

Nov 29, 2021
Just speculation.... With Cam not getting a start in the playoff this year, I think he may be gone next year. Looking in from the outside, BG's plan for next year at the moment has about a dozen avenues it can go...it's going to be one hell of a mess.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Just speculation.... With Cam not getting a start in the playoff this year, I think he may be gone next year. Looking in from the outside, BG's plan for next year at the moment has about a dozen avenues it can go...it's going to be one hell of a mess.
Should have started him from jump. I never understood the need for you guys getting Fleury. Start Cam next game. He’s great in tight situations. Fleury less-so.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Should have started him from jump. I never understood the need for you guys getting Fleury. Start Cam next game. He’s great in tight situations. Fleury less-so.
imo it was the right move at the time. Both Wild goalies were looking a bit shaky however, once we got Flower, Talbot went back to being solid. I like the gamble but, you'll have a hard time telling me Flower has been better than Talbot since we got him. I'm a bit shocked that we keep putting Flower out though since I think Goal has been one of our weak points this playoff series. Can't pin it all on him though.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
imo it was the right move at the time. Both Wild goalies were looking a bit shaky however, once we got Flower, Talbot went back to being solid. I like the gamble but, you'll have a hard time telling me Flower has been better than Talbot since we got him. I'm a bit shocked that we keep putting Flower out though since I think Goal has been one of our weak points this playoff series. Can't pin it all on him though.
There was not and is not a single shred of evidence that MAF has been better than Talbot since the TDL, and while I agree that we cannot pin it all on him, he has been so damn shaky that I am convinced the folks in front of them grip the stick a bit harder when your goalie spills everything.

Reactions: AKL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There was not and is not a single shred of evidence that MAF has been better than Talbot since the TDL, and while I agree that we cannot pin it all on him, he has been so damn shaky that I am convinced the folks in front of them grip the stick a bit harder when your goalie spills everything.
I am more inclined to blame the D, which IMO is finally reverting to what they really are, but Fleury against his playoff peers is;

2nd in TOI

13th in SV%

15th in GAA

He is way below average compared to his competition.

Reactions: AKL

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I am more inclined to blame the D, which IMO is finally reverting to what they really are, but Fleury against his playoff peers is;

2nd in TOI

13th in SV%

15th in GAA

He is way below average compared to his competition.

I am not blaming the defense too much here. Several goals are a result of him not swallowing pucks and allowing rebound goals, or allowing the Blues to maintain possession and score soon after. Even his saves are shaky, and the fact that either Geurin or Evason didn't see this after game 1 is worrisome.

Reactions: Chinaski89 and AKL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am not blaming the defense too much here. Several goals are a result of him not swallowing pucks and allowing rebound goals, or allowing the Blues to maintain possession and score soon after. Even his saves are shaky, and the fact that either Geurin or Evason didn't see this after game 1 is worrisome.
You are more knowledgeable about G tending than me. I was trained from an early age to never blame the goalie, so barring letting in a wrist shot from center ice I never really know what to expect from a goalie. I do know what it's like to play with a great goalie behind you. So wonderful, and God help the opponent who tries to run him. We would literally destroy anyone who talked to him funny.

But the D is not good. Not terrible, but not good. Sometimes thats on the forwards, sometimes not, but our slow footed guys back up too much to guard against getting beaten by speed, just giving away the line. They are also mediocre in board battles, except for Brodin.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You are more knowledgeable about G tending than me. I was trained from an early age to never blame the goalie, so barring letting in a wrist shot from center ice I never really know what to expect from a goalie. I do know what it's like to play with a great goalie behind you. So wonderful, and God help the opponent who tries to run him. We would literally destroy anyone who talked to him funny.

But the D is not good. Not terrible, but not good. Sometimes thats on the forwards, sometimes not, but our slow footed guys back up too much to guard against getting beaten by speed, just giving away the line. They are also mediocre in board battles, except for Brodin.
i also wonder if the retreat to the slot so quick and giving up the first shot is for rebound control as they know fleury will kick it out as long as he makes the first save?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad