Player Discussion Marc-Andre Fleury

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

So what's the deal for next year then? Gus is gone? Or are they really leaving the Wall in the minors another year?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
:laugh: The classic no-move. It's hard to be upset about it on a 1 year deal, but it's like Guerin is doing it just to screw with us now. Anyway, I'm happy for Flower, and I think it's probably best to hedge the bet on Wallstedt being ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Probably give Wally another year in the AHL. He's good, but hasn't been outstanding.

I think this is the more likely scenario, but I wouldn't be surprised if BG is calling some other teams to gauge interest in Gus and if the return is decent, maybe he gets moved.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think this is the more likely scenario, but I wouldn't be surprised if BG is calling some other teams to gauge interest in Gus and if the return is decent, maybe he gets moved.
I can see that, though relying on Fleury to be a 40-50 GP guy or Wally as a 40+ guy is very risky for next season. Gus hasn't been great, but he's a veteran.

Reactions: Sad People

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Both Gus and Fleury were bad goalies this year, and we are coming back with them again. Talbot had a .915, 2.47, . Kahkonen had similar stats to those two, playing behind an absolutely putrid SJS team.

This move, paired with the self imposed 15M cap hit, makes it hard for to take BG, or the team, seriously next year. We are going to be too talented to tank(unless Kap gets injured), not talented enough to contend(please let Yurov and Ohgren prove me wrong).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sota Popinski

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Both Gus and Fleury were bad goalies this year, and we are coming back with them again. Talbot had a .915, 2.47, . Kahkonen had similar stats to those two, playing behind an absolutely putrid SJS team.

This move, paired with the self imposed 15M cap hit, makes it hard for to take BG, or the team, seriously next year. We are going to be too talented to tank(unless Kap gets injured), not talented enough to contend(please let Yurov and Ohgren prove me wrong).
I already wasn't taking them seriously next year. Heck, I hardly took them seriously this year and, for the one stretch I did, I just got angry at them. I think the best bet is to take the Wild seriously once the organization starts making consistent decisions. Then, even if they're not good, we'll at least know they're serious.

Reactions: HobeyBroten

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

You’re forgetting hoss daddy Peart too :D

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
guessing this move means gus is gone. what can we get? i'll take the best D for 3 mill bob.
They need the D first, to push Gus's trade value up to where his contract looks like a steal. If Billy can deal him a needy contender he'll get surplus value. Hopefully by that time Wallstedt is looking too good for the AHL, becomes a brick wall in the playoffs and Fleury gets another ring.

More realistically, Fleury gets traded back to Pittsburgh at next year's deadline for a 7th round pick, the Wild miss the playoffs again and pick 16th again.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gus isn't worth much right now, and what's more, there is no need to move him till Wallstedt makes it obvious that he is the better choice. On top of that, there are always injuries to consider...MAF is ancient, in hockey terms, so expecting him to stay healthy all year wouldn't be wise.

If Wall looks more than ready, Gus is looking reasonably good, and Fleury is to, then you run all three, possibly looking to move Gus if the offer is good enough, or MAF, if he wants to.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
About 1.5M more than I would’ve hoped we did this for. But, Guerin wants his guys in his country club

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
About 1.5M more than I would’ve hoped we did this for. But, Guerin wants his guys in his country club
I was also hoping for lower cost, but after tonight he'll have played just one game less than half the season, so he is truly a platoon goalie at the moment. I think if he'd played more like 20-25 games his bill would have been a lot lower.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I was also hoping for lower cost, but after tonight he'll have played just one game less than half the season, so he is truly a platoon goalie at the moment. I think if he'd played more like 20-25 games his bill would have been a lot lower.
He’s a platoon goalie but not a good one

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
No, he's not a good one, but he still is one. I think he should have come in around $1.75M, and no NMC, but that would require a different GM.

I imagine the NMC was probably non-negotiable from MAF's POV, but the cap hit should definitely be lower.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I imagine the NMC was probably non-negotiable from MAF's POV, but the cap hit should definitely be lower.
I imagine you're right, the NMC was probably non-negotiable. A smart negotiator would understand that means Fleury needs to pay for it with dollars. If Guerin did have him pay for it, I can't imagine what Fleury's original asking price was. I guess I actually can. $3M+?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad