Marc-Andre Fleury

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
"First Ballad" :D

Exhibit A. Tom Barrasso. Two Cups as a starter, one Vezina. Not in the HOF.

Exhibit B: Mike Vernon. Two Cups as a starter, one Conn Smythe. Not in the HOF.
Fleury might also have 500+ wins in the regular season at the end of his career. Only two guys have done that. You don’t think the HHOF puts a premium on these things? Even if almost all of his career was played in the shootout era. And if he did win the cup and Conn Smythe while being the best player in the playoffs for an expansion team in 2018? Forget about it. He’d be royalty if that were to happen.

Barrasso wasn’t that good. His career is the opposite of the Fleury’s. Fleury’s gotten better as he’s gotten older, Barrasso wasn’t really good anymore not too far into his 30’s.

Fleury is probably in Vernon territory right now, but he’s gonna play a few more years, in all likelihood. If he retired after this year and he doesn’t win the cup/Conn Smythe then there’s a good chance he doesn’t get in. If he doesn’t win either, but keeps playing a few more years then he probably gets in.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Fleury might also have 500+ wins in the regular season at the end of his career. Only two guys have done that. You don’t think the HHOF puts a premium on these things? Even if almost all of his career was played in the shootout era. And if he did win the cup and Conn Smythe while being the best player in the playoffs for an expansion team in 2018? Forget about it. He’d be royalty if that were to happen.

Barrasso wasn’t that good. His career is the opposite of the Fleury’s. Fleury’s gotten better as he’s gotten older, Barrasso wasn’t really good anymore not too far into his 30’s.

Fleury is probably in Vernon territory right now, but he’s gonna play a few more years, in all likelihood. If he retired after this year and he doesn’t win the cup/Conn Smythe then there’s a good chance he doesn’t get in. If he doesn’t win either, but keeps playing a few more years then he probably gets in.
If he wins this Cup, he will get in because this era is pretty weak for goaltenders (unlike the era of Vernon). All I'm saying is that it's not always black and white.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If he wins this Cup, he will get in because this era is pretty weak for goaltenders (unlike the era of Vernon). All I'm saying is that it's not always black and white.
Well I think Lundqvist is definitely getting in. Luongo? He really SHOULD get in, I don't see how you can argue against it, but I could see the committee busting his balls for lack of cups or Vezina and too many years of poor teams. His playoff resume is also a bit less than Lundqvist, mostly because Lundqvist has only missed the playoffs twice in his career, while Luongo has quite a few more times (Luongo has played about 4-5 more years) than that.

Even from that era, Roy, Hasek, Belfour and Brodeur (will be going in during the 2018 class this November) all made it. I think out of this era it's gotta be Lundqvist, Luongo and probably Fleury. Quick has some accolades that could get him in, like two cups, Conn Smythe and will be by far the most winning American born goalie of all time and already leads American born goalies in all time shutouts.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
he really came up big for his team today. he's on a roll let's see if he keeps it up and can help vegas win 4 more

Sep 19, 2008
Good to see him succeed in Vegas after the way he was done in Pittsburgh. The whole situation there was just sad. They had a younger goalie and opted to go with him and Fleury always had this rap as inconsistent or easy to score on. Then he gets drafted by Vegas and he continues to excel.

I feel now that he has left the PEnguins it's okay to root for him and I wish him the best of luck! Get that cup home to Vegas!

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Good to see him succeed in Vegas after the way he was done in Pittsburgh. The whole situation there was just sad. They had a younger goalie and opted to go with him and Fleury always had this rap as inconsistent or easy to score on. Then he gets drafted by Vegas and he continues to excel.

I feel now that he has left the PEnguins it's okay to root for him and I wish him the best of luck! Get that cup home to Vegas!

Yeah, it was based on his performance at the time.

Reactions: Regal

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He didn’t put up great numbers for Therrien besides his very short 2008 season. Fleury was always talented he just had no meaningful coaching until 2014. He had legitimate technical problems that persisted for way too long.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
4 Cups and a Conn Smythe is pretty amazing, even though he didn't do a lot in the last two.

He won 9 of the 16 wins in the last Penguin run, including arguably the most threatening opponent, the Capitals. That's 'a lot' in my opinion (and even in the 2016, they don't make it to the playoffs without his early season play keeping them afloat until Sullivan came on board.)

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
He won 9 of the 16 wins in the last Penguin run, including arguably the most threatening opponent, the Capitals. That's 'a lot' in my opinion (and even in the 2016, they don't make it to the playoffs without his early season play keeping them afloat until Sullivan came on board.)
Let's not forget they might have not made the playoffs in the first cup of the two if not for his play at the beginning of the year under Johnston.

Quite a few vezina winners who have crappy playoffs... Penguin fans just used him as a scapegoat for other failings those teams had, but the guy has had some solid playoff success compared to lots of goalies of his era regardless of what beachball meme people remember.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I was one of those guys that made fun of him during 2010-15 when he chocked all those series but I think he's absolutely a hof

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think he's already in the discussion for the HHoF at this point and his playing career as a #1 is far from over. Even if he doesn't win the cup this season I suspect by the time his career is over he'll more than have the numbers to be a legit candidate. If Vegas goes on to with the cup he is without a doubt the Conn Smythe winner and a lock for the HoF. Haters gonna hate but a cup this year lifts him into remarkable territory.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Let's not forget they might have not made the playoffs in the first cup of the two if not for his play at the beginning of the year under Johnston.

Quite a few vezina winners who have crappy playoffs... Penguin fans just used him as a scapegoat for other failings those teams had, but the guy has had some solid playoff success compared to lots of goalies of his era regardless of what beachball meme people remember.

Fluery put up some of the worst playoff performances in NHL history, single handedly losing the Penguins series. I don't know why people still defend him, he went to see a phycologist because of it. He's admitted already that he has problems dealing with pressure.

It wasn't until he got mental health help and a new goaltending coach that he started to turn it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad