Marc-Andre Fleury makes 46 saves on 48 shots in first NHL game

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Shakespeare

What an oustanding game for an 18 year old...

He star is shining now...

William

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It was one game, but an amazing first game. We've learned a lot about Fleury; after allowing an early goal on his first shot (albeit on a breakaway), he came back with a vengeance.

Combined with his well known pressure performances in juniors, his performance in camp and preseason, and with the first hand accounts from his coaches and teammates, there's just little doubt that he's ready for this level, mentally.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
moosefan said:
Not a bad game for the 1st overall pick so far in his first game, Pittsbergh looked pretty weak in this one on the defensive and offensive end, but Fleury pulled them out of some good spots.

Not bad :dunno:

Thats pretty amazing if you ask me, considering he plays for the worst team in the league.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
I get chills thinking of what this kid just might become...

Forty-nine shots faced in his first NHL game.
Forty-six saves.

Simply amazing.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
I get chills thinking of what this kid just might become...

Forty-nine shots faced in his first NHL game.
Forty-six saves.

Simply amazing.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

The last goal was an empty netter, so it's 46 of 48

flamesfan12

Jul 20, 2003
Beaumont
Visit site
Great game by Fleury. Showed some confidence by not letting the first goal on the first shot get to him. Nice poke-check on the penalty shot too. He's gonna be a star for the pens.

Angered Hab

Apr 23, 2003
Great White North
Visit site
Boy, are the Penguins desperate for attention or what? Putting an 18 yr old in goal behind possibly the worst team in the league. This is either going to pay great dividends or be a HUGE mistake. I vote for the latter. Okay, so he had a great first game. What's the rush? Let the kid enjoy himself down in the minors and get a taste of what the real world might be like, before you throw him to the wolves. I know Mario needs $$$ but come on already. Oh well, good luck to the kid. I think he will have a great future, but it should start when the Pens are in better shape and have a better group to surround him with. That's just IMO.

HaB
:dunno: :joker:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There's no reason to send him down after his performance tonight.

BCCHL inactive

Jacobv2 said:
There's no reason to send him down after his performance tonight.

Yes there is. ...His age.

At 18, no kid is ready to be a starting goaltender in the NHL. And it is detrimental to his development to keep him as a backup goaltender or even to use him in tandem in the NHL when he could play 60+ games in junior hockey.

I don't care how good Fleury is. He should be playing junior hockey.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
If he keeps performing well, despite five or six-goal games courtesy of the Penguins' skaters, there's just no reason for him to see more games in junior.

BCCHL inactive

tom_servo said:
If he keeps performing well, despite five or six-goal games courtesy of the Penguins' skaters, there's just no reason for him to see more games in junior.

Two words....Dan Blackburn.

18 year-old goaltenders should not be in the NHL. Period.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Van said:
Yes there is. ...His age.

At 18, no kid is ready to be a starting goaltender in the NHL. And it is detrimental to his development to keep him as a backup goaltender or even to use him in tandem in the NHL when he could play 60+ games in junior hockey.

I don't care how good Fleury is. He should be playing junior hockey.

Ridiculous post. The best argument you could've made is that most goaltenders aren't ready for the NHL at 18. That's true. But then, most aren't drafted #1 overall.

Let him decide his own fate. It's a bit hardheaded to declare that he should be playing in juniors despite current and possibly future evidence to the contrary.

Maybe if he needs it, he can go to the minors next season. But his saves aren't smelling of fluke. I don't see what more he's going to learn back in the kids' league.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Van said:

18 year-old goaltenders should not be in the NHL. Period.

What about Dan Blackburn? He's a bust already, just because he spent two seasons in the NHL instead of juniors? For all you know, he'll end up a better goaltender later than he ever would've otherwise.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Van, if Fleury's carrying a 2.6 GAA and .911 SV% after 15 games, would you still send him back exclusively due to his age? If the answer is yes, then I see no need to carry on this silly conversation. If the answer is no, then it seems you'll have to rethink your original post.

BCCHL inactive

tom_servo said:
What about Dan Blackburn? He's a bust already, just because he spent two seasons in the NHL instead of juniors?

Damn rights. He was supposed to be the next best thing when the Rangers brought him up at 18. Look at where he is now.

Experience is the best learning tool, and when you sit on the bench for 40-60 games in a season, an 18 year-old is not developping properly.

Marc-Andre Fleury is just a kid. He does have a special talent, but he is not ready for the pressure of being in the NHL goaltender at such a young age.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Van said:
I'm not sure if Blackburn has EVER had a game like Fleury did tonight. Fleury is obviously looking more and more like a special circumstance.

BCCHL inactive

tom_servo said:
Van, if Fleury's carrying a 2.6 GAA and .911 SV% after 15 games, would you still send him back exclusively due to his age? If the answer is yes, then I see no need to carry on this silly conversation. If the answer is no, then it seems you'll have to rethink your original post.

My answer is yes. I am against 18 year-olds playing in the NHL. Period. They are not mentally mature enough to handle the pressure.....especially the pressure of being a goaltender in the NHL.

The draft age should be 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad