GDT: Mar 30 - CGY @ OTT 3pm MT [Snet W] & ABB @ TOR 2pm MT [Snet 360]

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who absolutely can't stand Doc Emrick. Both his voice and his vocabulary... He calls so many games come playoff time too...

"Waffleboarded into the corner by Ramo where it can be sent back out by Giordano..."

Has a nice ring to it, eh? If only he did Flames games.:sarcasm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In going back to look at the highlights:

-the first goal was a deflection in front. He was outside of the blue paint challenging the shot but just got beat by a great tip.

-the second goal was just terrible defence. Brodie left his feet and Spezza walked around him. Without any pressure from the defence on Spezza, Ramo had to play him as a shooter. When the pass went across the front of the net, Ramo did what he could from his position to take away the bottom of the net, but Michalek found a hole. In the end, when you allow an outnumbered situation down-low, you expect the goalie to take away shot and the defencemen to take away the pass.

-on the third goal, Turris was allowed to walk down the slot and pick his spot with a perfect shot.

-on the fourth goal, Ramo was definitely to blame for the giveaway, but the shot itself went off the bottom of a Flame stick, causing it to bounce hard off the ice and then equally hard back up again. That's an extremely awkward puck to track.

-on the fifth goal, the Sens made another lateral pass to a deflection in front of the net. Ramo did his best, but that's one of those where if your defence allows that play to happen, it's on them.

In the end, we need to think about what exactly defines bad goaltending. I don't think you can ever put a number on it, because a goalie who lets in 8 goals because his defence allows 40 breakaways in a game is not necessarily worse than a goalie who lets in 2 goals while only taking unscreened shots from the perimeter.

What defines bad goaltending to me is letting in goals that you expect your goalie to save. Even if you play good defence, you expect to allow the opposition to get shots during a game, but those kind of shots you expect your goalie to save, and Ramo has been doing that consistently in recent games. When your defence makes an error and it leads to a prime scoring opportunity, you hope that your goalie can bail you out. Failure to do so is not a sign of bad goaltending, but an NHL goalie is certainly expected to do it from time to time or else be replaced by someone who can. In recent games, and including the Ottawa game, Ramo has made great saves to bail out his team in addition to making all of the saves he's expected to make. That isn't bad at all, let alone terrible.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
highlights:
~ lots of babbling about stuff that may or may not be right ~
And on the other end of the spectrum we have the lowlights.

Since returning I am 0-3-0 on GDTs, I have sunken lower than your GDT making ability :shakehead

Thus I would like to announce my retirement from making GDTs this season.
[insert crying Ryan Smyth face here]

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Since returning I am 0-3-0 on GDTs, I have sunken lower than your GDT making ability :shakehead

smyth_crying_640.jpg

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

What? NO. Don't send us back to that remedial hell ho-I mean those were some great GDT's that Anglesmith was making back then I sure do miss them.

<_<
>_>

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ramo showing his true colours - worse than terrible.

Nice to see Monahan get his 20th.

So Ramo is "worse than terrible" when he's clearly been playing his best hockey of his career and looking like a starter by out playing his opposition?

And Ortio, who's 22 years old, collected 4 wins in 9 games as a rookie, and was sent back down only to get starts, is "Irving 2.0"? Perhaps you could provide some further reasoning on your comments.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
In going back to look at the highlights:

-the first goal was a deflection in front. He was outside of the blue paint challenging the shot but just got beat by a great tip.

-the second goal was just terrible defence. Brodie left his feet and Spezza walked around him. Without any pressure from the defence on Spezza, Ramo had to play him as a shooter. When the pass went across the front of the net, Ramo did what he could from his position to take away the bottom of the net, but Michalek found a hole. In the end, when you allow an outnumbered situation down-low, you expect the goalie to take away shot and the defencemen to take away the pass.

-on the third goal, Turris was allowed to walk down the slot and pick his spot with a perfect shot.

-on the fourth goal, Ramo was definitely to blame for the giveaway, but the shot itself went off the bottom of a Flame stick, causing it to bounce hard off the ice and then equally hard back up again. That's an extremely awkward puck to track.

-on the fifth goal, the Sens made another lateral pass to a deflection in front of the net. Ramo did his best, but that's one of those where if your defence allows that play to happen, it's on them.

In the end, we need to think about what exactly defines bad goaltending. I don't think you can ever put a number on it, because a goalie who lets in 8 goals because his defence allows 40 breakaways in a game is not necessarily worse than a goalie who lets in 2 goals while only taking unscreened shots from the perimeter.

What defines bad goaltending to me is letting in goals that you expect your goalie to save. Even if you play good defence, you expect to allow the opposition to get shots during a game, but those kind of shots you expect your goalie to save, and Ramo has been doing that consistently in recent games. When your defence makes an error and it leads to a prime scoring opportunity, you hope that your goalie can bail you out. Failure to do so is not a sign of bad goaltending, but an NHL goalie is certainly expected to do it from time to time or else be replaced by someone who can. In recent games, and including the Ottawa game, Ramo has made great saves to bail out his team in addition to making all of the saves he's expected to make. That isn't bad at all, let alone terrible.

I concur. There's a lot of modern goalie metrics and data that cover these situations. By the Numbers forum has a few good threads on it. Goaltending is one of the easier positions to measure, but still challenging because whether a shot was screened, deflected, contested (defended), cross ice, or purposely banked off the boards is not easy to determine.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
have I ever been known to be optimistic? :sarcasm:

Individual optimism doesn't count. I didn't start the Optimism Thread last year, and yet the Flames defence imploded in spectacular fashion. It's more so Optimism of the many outweighs the pessimism of the few.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Individual optimism doesn't count. I didn't start the Optimism Thread last year, and yet the Flames defence imploded in spectacular fashion. It's more so Optimism of the many outweighs the pessimism of the few.
im a realist. we imploded because we sucked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad