Recalled/Assigned: @MapleLeafs have recalled Frederik Gauthier from Marlies Marner on IR

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
4th line is so much better with the goat. I think the size of him and martin is tough to deal with... gives sosh a bit of room too.

ben smith really has no redeeming qualities.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't even be surprised if the Leafs waived Ben Smith at noon in preparation of sending him down when Marner is ready to come off the IR. They could do it tomorrow though.

EDIT: He's on the ice as the 13th forward, so I guess it won't be today.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't even be surprised if the Leafs waived Ben Smith at noon in preparation of sending him down when Marner is ready to come off the IR. They could do it tomorrow though.

not a chance they haven't come this far to get smith expansion eligible just to waive and send him down now

he will draw back in when marner is back and the goat will go back to AHL, now after he gets to the number they wont waive him either in case someone claims him then they wont have a forward meeting the 40/70 criteria (we need 2)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
not a chance they haven't come this far to get smith expansion eligible just to waive and send him down now

he will draw back in when marner is back and the goat will go back to AHL, now after he gets to the number they wont waive him either in case someone claims him then they wont have a forward meeting the 40/70 criteria (we need 2)

Just watch. :nod:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ben Smith needs 2 more games to be expansion eligible. You then sign him to a 1 year extension just under the cap amount to be able to send him to the Marlies next year.

So 2 more games of him being in the line up then move and hold him and Kalinin for expansion fodder.

Smith has to sign the contract.

He's UFA and since he's so valuable to Babcock, maybe he goes UFA for a big payday. :sarcasm:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Smith only playing to meet the 40/70 rule seems like speculation. It has been repeated so much on this board that it has been almost accepted as fact.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ben Smith needs 2 more games to be expansion eligible. You then sign him to a 1 year extension just under the cap amount to be able to send him to the Marlies next year.

So 2 more games of him being in the line up then move and hold him and Kalinin for expansion fodder.

Kalinin isn't eligible for expansion for the same reason Zaitsev isn't available. My money is still on Smith getting put into a TDL deal. Perhaps based on pure optimism given Spaling was thrown into a deal last year despite being about as good and 4x as expensive on the cap.

Usually teams don't mind getting free cheap 4C throw ins as a part of larger deals (i.e. Hunwick/Polak).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Smith only playing to meet the 40/70 rule seems like speculation. It has been repeated so much on this board that it has been almost accepted as fact.

if he doesn't we need to expose bozak and komarov. you need 2 we have none as of right now

edit or martin

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if smith isn't used as 40/70 here is a list of our only other eligible players

Kadri
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Martin

pick 2 martin and???

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Kadri
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Martin

pick 2 martin and???

Leo if I were to guess. But I think this is a precursor to something else .. The Leafs have all that cap space and could acquire a bloated contract of a player who meets the 40/70 criteria via trade (with an asset).

I bet they acquire one before the deadline. Smith only needs 4 more games though, right? They could scatter those in over the remainder of the season.

Smith has been so bad that the Leafs couldn't wait any longer to not have him play :laugh:

Welcome back Freddy :)

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Kadri
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Martin

pick 2 martin and???

The player may not be on the team yet, they could take someone back in a deadline deal to meet the requirement.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Personally I think we would get the choice of either not using all of our protection slots or exposing an otherwise "exempt" player. Which as long as we get to choose isn't too terrible

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Kadri
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Martin

pick 2 martin and???

The player may not be on the team yet, they could take someone back in a deadline deal to meet the requirement.

Bingo. Wild got their eligible goaltender to expose in Stalock, a journeyman AHLer.

We'll be fine.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Exposing anyone we like that we could get assets for won't be done by this regime. When we lose somebody, it's because we want to lose them. This isn't Nonis running the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad