Maple Leafs Window Closed...

Has the window closed...

• Total voters

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
we are only in year 4 of our rebuild ...the entire defensive right side may be rebuilt, save Holl

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
With this core, it’s closed for now. We’re too pressed against the cap to address the numerous holes on this roster, and our prospect pool doesn’t have the talent to properly fill all the holes immediately.

The key words however are “this core.” Trading one of our core pieces to address our garbage defence, rework our cap situation, and improve our overall depth could theoretically reopen our window for next year. Instead of solely relying on prospects, we’d add the defensemen and grit this team so desperately needs to go anywhere in this league.

It al depends on how Dubas feels about our core forwards who took him and this franchise to task over their contracts.

Reactions: LeafsRus

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
What's the NHL roster limit, 23? With $40M tied up in 4 forwards, thats about $42M left to pay 19 players. Ergo, many must be league minimum (i.e. next to useless) or rookies for Dubas to make the cap limit.

The Shanaplan didn't build a team that could compete in the playoffs. Just a fact. Geez, they didn't even make the playoffs this year - so trending down.

Window to compete has closed. And Matthews walks as UFA in four years.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Our star players are entering there prime. Our window is not closed. This thread should be closed

Unfortunately their deals are so steep that that closes the window

Toronto has no room for a true contending roster, because Kyle Dubas has given them top4 forwards so much money.

Andersen used to be cheap, but he seems to have gone off a cliff. There is absolutely no way Toronto is getting a quality netminder for that cap hit ever again.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Unfortunately their deals are so steep that that closes the window

Toronto has no room for a true contending roster, because Kyle Dubas has given them top4 forwards so much money.

Andersen used to be cheap, but he seems to have gone off a cliff. There is absolutely no way Toronto is getting a quality netminder for that cap hit ever again.
Blockbuster Rumor: Pittsburgh and Toronto expected to pull off massive trade
Matt Murray has a lower cap hit next season

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not a closed window yet, far from it really. This is definitely a hot take following a bad loss imo.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Matthews will be 26 by the time he leaves for UFA

You have to have some serious balls to trade for Nylander at 8 mil or Marner at 11m

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Has the “window” officially closed for the Maple Leafs? Now that it is very evident that there will be No success with this core and goaltending. I know there was talk of this “window” a few years back. Looks like it has been boarded shut now.

Can we officially say it is a failed rebuild. Does this core need to be torn torn and rebuilt.

Thoughts?

Don't be ridiculous the VAST majority of this team are still in their early to mid 20's, as of today there are TWO players above 30 under contract for next season, technically one but Andersen will be 31 by next season.

the window can't be closed when 90% of of team is under 30, and A LOT of them are under 25

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Ovi never won until he was thirty something...

alot of young players around the league still have not won the cup..mcdavid, mackinnion, barkov, eichel,..even stamkos hasn't won it yet...

it takes time. leafs were the third youngest team in this postseason.

relax.

Reactions: Jojalu and Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
23% expected to be the Penguins/Blackhawks. The rest know that sometimes, you gotta grind it out like the Capitals.

I fall into the latter group.

@Hollywood North I am not convinced you actually like the Leafs based on some of your posts. They lean heavily into the reactionary/trolling category.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I remember when we drafted Matthews in 2016 saying that our window will be 'starting' to open around 2020/21... That's next year...We need to better balance our lineup which is obvious and I'm looking forward to becoming a contender over the next 2-3 years. Some fans' expectations were too high too soon for a young group trying to compete against experienced grown men. I'm not worried in the least.

Reactions: OddyOh

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Please let it happen.
not opposed to this if it's true, but once again Dubas dips into the Soo well, only pipeline he's comfortable using............

p.s. can he get Nurse too while he's at it? I'm going to have to look up the Grey Hound's alumni roster..........

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
We need one player per forwards line who is maximum effort all the time to prevent floating.

Rielly is the only defenseman I'd care for to be offense, pp2 can be handled from muzzy no problem, but we need to make sure the players clear the net, and make teams pay for cycling.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00