GDT: Maple Leafs vs St. Louis Blues 7 PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Maple Leafs-St. Louis Blues: Saturday game preview

The visiting Blues will have sniper Vladimir Tarasenko back in the lineup Saturday night.

By: Mark Zwolinski Sports reporter, Published on Fri Jan 01 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

Radio: TSN 1050

Key matchup:Vladimir Tarasenko vs. Nazem Kadri.

The Blues’ Tarasenko is one of the top goal scorers in the NHL, but he sat out Thursday’s loss to Minnesota because of the flu. He is expected to play Saturday though, and with 22 goals — third-highest in the NHL — he should be a big test for Kadri, who defends opponent’s top forwards and has made huge strides this season with his two-way game.

Coachable: Blues are not a high-scoring team. But they are a well-coached team with Ken Hitchcock at the helm and feature excellent special teams: they are third in the NHL in penalty kill and eighth on the powerplay.

Solid season: Former Leaf Alex Steen is having another good season, ranking second on the Blues with 35 points on 13 goals and 22 assists.

On the defensive: The Blues own one of the deepest bluelines in the NHL, with Kevin Shattenkirk, Jay Bouwmeester and Alex Pietrangelo. And now, they also have rookie Colton Parayko, who is the top-scoring rookie defenceman in the NHL, with six goals and 10 assists.

Up next: Wednesday at Anaheim, 10 p.m.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I developed a healthy hate for how St. Louis played that earlier game. They ain't as good as I thought they'd be. They iced at least 3 cement heads. If they hadn't hit the lottery with the Tarasenko pick I bet they'd be in Colorado-Winnipeg-San Jose-Vancouver mediocrity territory.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I developed a healthy hate for how St. Louis played that earlier game. They ain't as good as I thought they'd be. They iced at least 3 cement heads. If they hadn't hit the lottery with the Tarasenko pick I bet they'd be in Colorado-Winnipeg-San Jose-Vancouver mediocrity territory.

Easy win for the Buds then?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
This should be a dandy one for certainly. They got loads of wise talented players who know the game. Could be a problem.

I wouldn't bet money on us tonight. Don't do it. We might lose.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When do we play Montreal or Ottawa again? Seems likes its been ages since we had a good classic rivalry on HNIC

Considering that Boston, Buffalo and Detroit also qualify as rivals as well, there hasn't been much of this for the entire season. 1 Saturday night game each against Ottawa, Montreal and Boston, that's it. I count 9 divisional Saturday night games coming up.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
When do we play Montreal or Ottawa again? Seems likes its been ages since we had a good classic rivalry on HNIC

We don't play a team in our division until the 16th (@Boston)
The next week the Habs will be here.
We'll be @Ottawa on Feb 6th.

Big doses of the FL teams.
The 0 for MUST be broken.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Kind of an inverse trip from hell, which happened at exactly the same time last season.

Blues tonight.
Then go to California. The thankful thing this time is that the back to back are both in LA, day off before heading north.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the first GDT of the New Year, Budsfan..and HAPPY NEW YEAR.., to everyone..!

Oh, well... Canada is knocked out of the WJC... We can't win "every" year, Guys... :sarcasm: :rant: :popcorn:

At least there are two more games to watch, today...

Marlies are playing the Crunch... .... 1-1 just into the 2nd period.. The game is on RogersTV (10 - in Toronto)...

..and of course, our big boys play the Blues..... :handclap:

Stroke: Leafs vs Blues Match-Up/Montage - TML

(*some 2010-2014 flashback clips, in this one)

GO LEAFS GO !!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Blues are not as good as I thought. They should have obliterated our team last month. Instead they let the Leafs take it to them in their own barn, lol. Joke of a team.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
3:00 PM: Here are tonight's projected lineups for the Maple Leafs and Blues.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Forwards
40 Grabner - 43 Kadri - 47 Komarov
21 van Riemsdyk - 42 Bozak - 15 Parenteau
26 Winnik - 33 Arcobello - 19 Lupul
23 Matthias - 24 Holland - 28 Boyes

Defence
51 Gardiner - 3 Phaneuf
2 Hunwick - 44 Rielly
52 Marincin - 46 Polak

Goaltenders
45 Bernier
30 Bibeau

St. Louis Blues

Forwards
20 Steen - 26 Stastny - 91 Tarasenko
21 Berglund - 42 Backes - 56 Paajarvi
15 Fabbri - 12 Lehtera - 36 Brouwer
23 Jaskin - 28 Brodziak - 75 Reaves

Defence
19 Bouwmeester - 27 Pietrangelo
55 Parayko - 22 Shattenkirk
41 Bortuzzo - 4 Gunnarsson

Goaltenders
34 Allen
1 Elliott

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Right now we are seeing exactly; EXACTLY what I was writing about before the season even began. Kessel is not important. Komarov and Grabner are better players both than kessel. They are important. They understand the defensive game and hitting game. They also score. Komarov scores even more than Phil Kessel period. Period. Grabner and Komarov are now playing for our first line. Both of them. Kessel made our team worse. Komarov and Grabner make our team BETTER. Every team.

Grabner and Komarov play shorthanded, they hit, they skate, they score. They defend. Kessel can't do all those things. Komarov and Grabner also lead. Pittsburgh might be worse team than us when the season is over. That's because of Grabner and Komarov, our FIRST LINERS. Kessel is a second liner who makes other teams worse. I knew hockey and know hockey.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I really have to wonder if the sportsnet cast has hearing issues. why are they shouting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad