GDT: Maple Leafs vs. Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 4.16.2013

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Not sure what you expect at the end of a shortened, condensed season. These guys are human also. The Leafs played in Jersey the night before, rode a bus a few hours, probably checked in late, got to sleep later, woke up for their morning routine, and played against the hottest team in the League a few hours later. That's rough.

Nobody is forcing you to buy season tickets; I'd love to be in your position. I could understand your frustration if the Caps were mailing it in but your boys are playing great hockey right now and the rink is rocking. Enjoy it a little man.

Expecting effort from both teams isn't too much to ask.

So, you live in San Diego? Near Coronado Isle? They've got a great sports bar there just before you turn off onto the road that takes you over the bridge. I'd love to retire there... spent a week at the Del Coronado 2 years ago, and man, it was great.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Agreed but in a sport like professional hockey I think it is unrealistic to to expect you are always going to get that. Even the best teams mail it in occasionally in the regular season for a variety of reasons. It is what it is...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

So, you live in San Diego? Near Coronado Isle? They've got a great sports bar there just before you turn off onto the road that takes you over the bridge. I'd love to retire there... spent a week at the Del Coronado 2 years ago, and man, it was great.

Yes sir, I do. I live downtown in the Gaslamp District now, but I lived in Coronado for two years right on the beach. I've worked on Coronado for three years, pretty spectacular place. The Del is great, and Coronado Beach was recently ranked the #2 public beach in the US.

I believe you're referring to the Island Sports Bar on Orange Ave, which unfortunately shut down last year. They've replaced it with a burger joint that is better to be honest. Coronado has opened a few new pubs and bars in the past year, but night life is still dead by 10. Definitely a retirement destination but the real estate is absurdly expensive.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Are there any Caps bars in San Diego? Or hockey bars in general? I'll be there for a good chunk of the playoffs.

Now I want some Cuatro Milpas... :drool:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Are there any Caps bars in San Diego? Or hockey bars in general? I'll be there for a good chunk of the playoffs.

Now I want some Cuatro Milpas... :drool:

If you find one, let me know. I have yet to find one. I'm typically resigned to watching the games on GCL or NBCSN with guys from the DC area who are very casual fans.

I'm going to give Winston's a call shortly. They are a giant Redskins bar so it's worth a shot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As close as I've come to finding a hockey fan in San Diego in my previous trips was when I wore my Caps jersey to In'N'Out one night. The cashier said something along the lines of "Oh! You like hockey? One of my coworkers is a big Mighty Ducks fan" (this is well after the team was no longer known as the Mighty Ducks). I don't have high hopes of finding a hockey bar in the area.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah the whole idea of finding not just a hockey bar but a Caps bar in San Diego makes we want to ask if anyone knows of a Caps bar in Caen, France, where I'll be in early May for a while...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
As close as I've come to finding a hockey fan in San Diego in my previous trips was when I wore my Caps jersey to In'N'Out one night. The cashier said something along the lines of "Oh! You like hockey? One of my coworkers is a big Mighty Ducks fan" (this is well after the team was no longer known as the Mighty Ducks). I don't have high hopes of finding a hockey bar in the area.

I've been looking for 4 years and haven't found one. I'll let you know if I do.

As far as hockey fans go... I wore a Caps t-shirt to the local dog park a few weeks back and had a guy ask me if the Capitals were going to share their arena with the SuperSonics when the Kings moved back to Seattle this summer. Kinda awkward explaining to him that the Washington Capitals were of the Washington D.C. variety.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
There is a Washington Redskins Bars in Winstons Beach Club at San Diego, CA. Not sure if they host the Capitals as well.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If you find one, let me know. I have yet to find one. I'm typically resigned to watching the games on GCL or NBCSN with guys from the DC area who are very casual fans.

I'm going to give Winston's a call shortly. They are a giant Redskins bar so it's worth a shot.

I'm up in Irvine now, but used to live in UTC then Carlsbad. If the Caps make a good run we should all try to figure out a place to meet up that will have the game... Although frankly my 55'' LED and Lazy Boy is still my favorite place to watch :)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm up in Irvine now, but used to live in UTC then Carlsbad. If the Caps make a good run we should all try to figure out a place to meet up that will have the game... Although frankly my 55'' LED and Lazy Boy is still my favorite place to watch :)

Yeah I'm definitely down. And I hear ya on enjoying watching the games from home; the price of beer and food can't be beat.

But there's no denying that watching a big game is much more fun/intense with fans who are just as invested in the outcome as you are.

Vladiator16*

My problem is in paying more than $5K for 3 season tickets, only to have teams take the night off. And given the shorter season, teams are openly doing it, like Toronto did last night, and the Caps have on many nights this season. The players and the league seem to feel like they're entitled to it... as a STH, I'd like some of my money back.

I would love to go into it a little more, but at the moment - hammered (just got home from "aasociation meeting"), and i do type with one finger, and damn i hate it, but...
How in the world do you not enjoy... or better yet pissed at your team, because the other team is underperforming/tiered/taking a day off?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad