GDT: Maple Leafs vs Avalanche | 7PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Seems to happen to us a lot
Bar JVR and Mathews sometimes we don't have enough guys who can live around the net and score
Most of the guys who live around the net just are not skilled enough to make good things happen when they get there

Inconsistent effort
Inconsistent goal scoring
Bad backup goalies
Poor defense and that's the whole team by the way
All adds up to about a 80ish point team

Pretty hard when you don't have any big shots from the point to generate said rebounds.

Other teams are well aware of this. Defend low on our defensemen, close of the slot, and voila.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like Babcock as a coach but when he consistently goes after the rookies and doesn't care what the vets do, it gets a little tiring.

If he's been watching the games, he should correct half his line up decisions. Give a proper answer, don't just give a blanket statement and be smug about it.

Babcock >>> Carlyle or Wilson. It doesn't mean he can't be criticized.

Sure thing. Drawing the conclusion that he is a "power hungry dictator" because of the way he answered the media after a frustrating loss is very far fetched though.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I like Babcock as a coach but when he consistently goes after the rookies and doesn't care what the vets do, it gets a little tiring.

If he's been watching the games, he should correct half his line up decisions. Give a proper answer, don't just give a blanket statement and be smug about it.

I agree with this. Where is the accountability this group loves to preach? Nylander and Marner being on the 4th line while guys like Bozak and JVR not touching it tells me we don't really have any accountability here. Vets will still get a free ride as always.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Why did Cor have to make the GDT

Lol. Not your fault.

They played really well but couldn't beat a team with their pride exposed badly the night before. Semyon Varlamov became the latest goalie to stand on his head and stymie the Leafs:

1. Price (twice)
2. Murray
3. Johnson
4. Miller
5. Dubnyk (twice)
6. Varlamov

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

As far as I am concerned Babcock only cares about rookies; Babs already knows these so called "vets" are not part of the future so he doesn't even care. We need rookies to embrace the culture of accountability and compete.

Vets are gone in like a year or two.

Babs cannot give a proper answer because he can't say that on a public platform that he doesn't see: Bozak, Komarov, Polak, Hunwick, and maybe even JVR as part of the future core

Babcock was asked the question and he answered it as best as he could without flaming the toronto media BS fire

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I agree with this. Where is the accountability this group loves to preach? Nylander and Marner being on the 4th line while guys like Bozak and JVR not touching it tells me we don't really have any accountability here. Vets will still get a free ride as always.

I tried to address this earlier. It's not about punishment or accountability per se, it's about teaching. They don't tell the kids "You are doing things wrong, so we are punishing you by playing you with Martin and Smith," they are saying "The details are getting away from you, so we'll give you a game on the fourth line so you can focus primarily on that."

It's teaching. There's no reason to try to teach that which is set in stone. Only thing you do by putting Bozak on the fourth after bad performances is punishing him, and that's not what it's about.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I tried to address this earlier. It's not about punishment or accountability per se, it's about teaching. They don't tell the kids "You are doing things wrong, so we are punishing you by playing you with Martin and Smith," they are saying "The details are getting away from you, so we'll give you a game on the fourth line so you can focus primarily on that."

It's teaching. There's no reason to try to teach that which is set in stone. Only thing you do by putting Bozak on the fourth after bad performances is punishing him, and that's not what it's about.

Dude thiz is Canada. Coaches aren't that nice here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Pretty hard when you don't have any big shots from the point to generate said rebounds.

Other teams are well aware of this. Defend low on our defensemen, close of the slot, and voila.

When you get 50+ shots there's always plenty of rubbish lying around to jam in we just don't have enough guys who either
Want to go into that area or are skilled enough to beat a goalie in close

I agree on the D and their point shots by the way
It's ******* brutal to watch

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

That makes sense. Although, I don't necessarily see Marner and Nylander dropping down as punishment. I see it as trying to switch things up. Marner and Nylander aren't going to learn anything on the fourth line in my opinion. What exactly did Willy learn during his 3 game stint on the 4th line? Why can't Bozak or JVR learn what Willy did during that Stint? Nylander isn't a hockey prodigy that learns things our vets can't. At the end of the day, these guys aren't getting some life long learning they'll take with them forever from their short 4th line stints.

I think it has to do with sending a message. Not necessarily punishment, but more of a wake up kind of thing. Bozak and JVR need this just as much as our rookies.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
It is not that the veterans are not being held accountable. It is also that the Leafs are trying to display the positive qualities of those veterans to potential trade partners.

The Leafs wont get very much for Bozak if they play him on the 4th line. Use him in favorable situations to maximize his value then send him to the highest bidder.

The kids are going to be here for a while so you should develop a level of expectations for them. Effort should not be a compliment it should be a standard. Effort is all guys like Hyman and Hunwick can offer so it will be acknowledged, but guys have like Marner, Matthews, and Nylander have A LOT more to offer so their grades should be effort x their talent level.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What is your loss to win ratio anyways. I hope your laptop blows up or you get banned from doing them. Hate to say it but you are bad karma when you do GDT. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you were to never do another. You like rubbing it in or something. It gets you attention though and thats allthat matters.:help:

I literally haven't made a GDT since October :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad