Maple Leafs to host 2017 outdoor & All-Star Game

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
On one hand this is fantastic news - hopefully they get the draft too.

on the other those of us hoping that the team will 100% gut itself will be in for a blow,ownership will at least want a semi cpmpetutive team then - Kessel jerseys will be selling like hotcakes

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
my proposal for the Winter Classic in 2017, instead of playing the game at 1 pm like they usually do, play the game at night. Put the Dome lights on, have the big screen on with the CN Tower lit up. It would be an awesome spectacle.

Maybe the NHL/IIHF can make a deal where they mix in the WJHC to make it one huge event. Where January 1st you have Canada-USA during the day and at night Leafs-Habs. Just a thought

I agree with the night game but it's not an attractive time slot for US markets. If it's the Heritage classic a night game is more possible.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Stamkos isn't stupid. He's not going to leave Tampa, a team that was built the right way, to come to the tire fire that is the Leafs.

Toronto is where careers come to die.

It's almost like people don't understand this yet lol

No quick fix coming people, we build the right way now or we suffer the same fate for the next few years.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
heh. buy high, sell higher?

Pretty much.

From what I remember from the last All Star game here, secondary market tickets were crazy expensive, AND they sold.

I also made a fair few shiny dollars doing the same with both the WJHC semis and finals tickets a few months ago.

Imagine there was a way where you could spend money, and then be guaranteed that in a few weeks your money would turn into even more money? lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
my proposal for the Winter Classic in 2017, instead of playing the game at 1 pm like they usually do, play the game at night. Put the Dome lights on, have the big screen on with the CN Tower lit up. It would be an awesome spectacle.

Maybe the NHL/IIHF can make a deal where they mix in the WJHC to make it one huge event. Where January 1st you have Canada-USA during the day and at night Leafs-Habs. Just a thought

Amazing idea.

I remember towards the end of the Big House Winter Classic game, things got pretty dark and the snow was lashing against the floodlights - I remember looking around and just yelling "this is a ****ing winter wonderland right here!". It was gorgeous, and being able to look down and see your favorite team playing hockey? It was a surreal moment, that's for sure.

And that was only at what... 5 pm or something once Bozak won the shootout?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Opposing agendas

2017 is Leafs 100th anniversary centennial year.

Something that everyone that wants a draft pick rebuild through tanking is forgetting is that 2017 is Leafs centennial year and they plan on building up not tearing down for this occasion. The city will be hosting events, celebrating and honor the past success.

MLSE is currently campaigning the NHL for the triple crown of prized league events in hopes of Toronto hosting the entry draft, the NHL all-star game and outdoor classic all in that same year to celebrate this occurrence.

While Leaf Nation is screaming for a blow-up and tank rebuild MLSE is busy planning for a build-up attempting to make the current roster as competitive as possible by 2017 trying to ice a winning team.

Shanahan and company have no doubt been given a corporate mandate from above to attempt to make the Leafs as competitive as possible by then & have Leaf Nation on board. IMO

leafstilldeath*

Opposing agendas

Something that everyone that wants a draft pick rebuild through tanking is forgetting is that 2017 is Leafs centennial year and they plan on building up not tearing down for this occasion. The city will be hosting events, celebrating and honor the past success.

MLSE is currently campaigning the NHL for the triple crown of prized league events in hopes of Toronto hosting the entry draft, the NHL all-star game and outdoor classic all in that same year to celebrate this occurrence.

While Leaf Nation is screaming for a blow-up and tank rebuild MLSE is busy planning for a build-up attempting to make the current roster as competitive as possible by 2017 trying to ice a winning team.

Shanahan and company have no doubt been given a corporate mandate from above to attempt to make the Leafs as competitive as possible by then & have Leaf Nation on board. IMO

would be 50 years without a cup as well........

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Opposing agendas

I've heard this line of thought a few times already, and I think it's utter nonsense.

If the Leafs are 30th overall in the National Hockey League for the next 5 years, the draft and all-star game (both relatively neutral events) as well as the Winter Classic, would be events that would be sold out entirely.

It's like saying the Leafs should make sure they put a good team out this year because Toronto was hosting the World Juniors - it had no bearing, and despite the team being awful the attendance at those games were outstanding.

The same thing will happen at both the draft and the all-star game. Regarding the Winter Classic? Well, that's just an event that sells itself as an event / occasion more so than a hockey game.

TL; DR version - it doesn't matter how good / awful the Leafs are; the key events in the Centennial celebrations will all be sold out, and it will have no barring on what direction this team goes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
if you market it properly -

100 years ago, we started from the ground up, and here we are doing it again. we may not be where we want to be, but we're sure as hell going to try our hardest to walk in the steps of the greats. support us as we grow our youngsters into becoming legends (or something)

look at what the negative would be and spin it positive.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
if you market it properly -

100 years ago, we started from the ground up, and here we are doing it again. we may not be where we want to be, but we're sure as hell going to try our hardest to walk in the steps of the greats. support us as we grow our youngsters into becoming legends (or something)

look at what the negative would be and spin it positive.

Not to get too off topic, but that's the only way a rebuild would work here - if it were sold to the fans properly as a long-term commitment to turn this organization around.

Everyone points to Edmonton as the "LOOK IT DOESN'T WORK ALL THE TIME" example, but people also choose to forget what it was like in Edmonton last year or the year before - tons of excitement watching a team that wasn't very good, but were entertaining to watch.

Do people in Calgary complain about their team much? That's not a very good hockey team that works their ***** off every night and you can see some promising young pieces in that organization.

I looked at StubHub today - if people are still willing to overpay for Leafs tickets to watch this sorry excuse of an effort, people will commit to coming out and watching a young, hard working hockey team behind an organization going in the right direction. I have no doubt about it.

I also have no doubt that any sort of draft / all star / winter classic award to Toronto, wouldn't derail the organization from that long-term commitment. One thing that they appear to have in abundance right now is patience - it would be asinine to throw that away for a single, solitary year of celebrations.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I've heard this line of thought a few times already, and I think it's utter nonsense.

If the Leafs are 30th overall in the National Hockey League for the next 5 years, the draft and all-star game (both relatively neutral events) as well as the Winter Classic, would be events that would be sold out entirely.

It's like saying the Leafs should make sure they put a good team out this year because Toronto was hosting the World Juniors - it had no bearing, and despite the team being awful the attendance at those games were outstanding.

The same thing will happen at both the draft and the all-star game. Regarding the Winter Classic? Well, that's just an event that sells itself as an event / occasion more so than a hockey game.

TL; DR version - it doesn't matter how good / awful the Leafs are; the key events in the Centennial celebrations will all be sold out, and it will have no barring on what direction this team goes.

I agree, I'm sure they would like to make the playoffs and be competitive they don't have to be,
and I would hate to have the board meddling.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not to get too off topic, but that's the only way a rebuild would work here - if it were sold to the fans properly as a long-term commitment to turn this organization around.

Everyone points to Edmonton as the "LOOK IT DOESN'T WORK ALL THE TIME" example, but people also choose to forget what it was like in Edmonton last year or the year before - tons of excitement watching a team that wasn't very good, but were entertaining to watch.

Do people in Calgary complain about their team much? That's not a very good hockey team that works their ***** off every night and you can see some promising young pieces in that organization.

I looked at StubHub today - if people are still willing to overpay for Leafs tickets to watch this sorry excuse of an effort, people will commit to coming out and watching a young, hard working hockey team behind an organization going in the right direction. I have no doubt about it.

I also have no doubt that any sort of draft / all star / winter classic award to Toronto, wouldn't derail the organization from that long-term commitment. One thing that they appear to have in abundance right now is patience - it would be asinine to throw that away for a single, solitary year of celebrations.

i don't think it's off topic because it does lend to think this has to be an obstacle that Shanahan has to cross. Dumb people (ie: the board) will probably go "but what if we turn 100 and we're rebuilding? people won't blah blah blah."

the All Star Game doesn't impact people rebuilding at all. (because rebuilding teams have had the All Star Game. Plus it's the All Star game. it sucks, so whatever).

How good was Buffalo when they had theirs vs. Pittsburgh? (I know they weren't 'buffalo bad" but they couldn't have been uber good either, right?)

I have argued that chances are the reason why they were going to stick with this group WAS because of the Centennial, and I think had Lieweke had been smart and fired Nonis/Carlyle after Boston (simply citing we have a good team but we need better support/my guys can take over) but considering now we have a catalogue reference of collapsing with these people, I think they'd be better off changing something because if people are booing and throwing jerseys NOW... I would shudder to think what cranky people would do with a crappy "well we're trying to make the playoffs, because we won't rebuild!" team."

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

the only threat these up coming events actually pose is

ownership never intended, will never accept a blow up rebuild

these events sure do offer up a sweet PR spin to quell the ignorant masses and I would bet plenty would get sucked into it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't think the events of 2017 will have much impact on where this team is going. Sure we will hear a ton about it on radio and tv about "How can they possibly be rebuilding during their centennial season?' I believe Shanahan isn't a man who allows people to meddle in his business. I think the first moment Rogers/Bell start dictating their own agendas over his rebuilding plan he'd resign.

This team isn't good enough to just do another quick re-tool and try and be somewhat competitive in 2017. And if we do go the quick re-tool route AGAIN! then it's just going to lead to the same ugly results we've seen over and over again.

This franchise has to ignore any outside pressure whether it be from the media, the fans, events/celebrations and focus on rebuilding and building a winner here. We're not going to get that by switching game plans every time something comes up to celebrate.

Whether we're rebuilding in 2017 or not it shouldn't have any bearing on the celebration of 100 years of this franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad