Maple Leafs to host 2017 outdoor & All-Star Game

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Per theScore notification.

The Toronto Maple Leafs will reportedly host NHL All-Star Weekend and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre as part of the organization's centennial celebration in 2017, according to Ken Campbell of The Hockey News.

Campbell expects the Montreal Canadiens to serve as the opponent for the outdoor showcase.

Toronto last held an All-Star game in 2000, and has yet to host an outdoor game as part of the NHL's outdoor series, whether it be a Winter Classic or Stadium Series.

Last edited:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Honestly, is it me, or is the centennial season kind of a really bad thing hidden behind all the fluff and celebration? I mean, think about it... you know that we'll try and create a patchwork quick fix roster just to try and compete that year which will just result in another ****** season and set us back even further. Think of all the pressure there will be in a special year like that. I mean, the Habs fell into the same trap in 2009 with their own centennial season.

That being said, definitely gonna try to find some way to go the the Winter Classic in 2017 when we host it. Wouldn't miss it for ****.

Mad Brills*

Has it been confirmed that the dome will be the location? I don't doubt the leafs are getting the game for jan 1st 2017, but the roof is a problem

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Honestly, is it me, or is the centennial season kind of a really bad thing hidden behind all the fluff and celebration? I mean, think about it... you know that we'll try and create a patchwork quick fix roster just to try and compete that year which will just result in another ****** season and set us back even further. Think of all the pressure there will be in a special year like that. I mean, the Habs fell into the same trap in 2009 with their own centennial season.

That being said, definitely gonna try to find some way to go the the Winter Classic in 2017 when we host it. Wouldn't miss it for ****.

Itll be the first year of Stammer's career in TO. We'll be fine

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Regretted not selling All Star tickets last time, won't make that mistake twice.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Itll be the first year of Stammer's career in TO. We'll be fine

It would be nice to see Stamkos in a Leaf uniform, but really don't know why he would want to leave Tampa who look to be contenders for a long time, with shrewd drafting and personnel decisions.

I really don't want Toronto to be a laughing stock for the rest of the league (like right now) in 2017, with the attention of the centennial season (well the first 50 years were good), all-star game, and outdoor game. However the right decision must be made in the long term, if that means a weak roster (on paper) due to a needed rebuild then I will fully support and cheer on my team despite being laughed AT.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Has it been confirmed that the dome will be the location? I don't doubt the leafs are getting the game for jan 1st 2017, but the roof is a problem
?

The game itself isn't even confirmed how could the venue be confirmed?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It would be nice to see Stamkos in a Leaf uniform, but really don't know why he would want to leave Tampa who look to be contenders for a long time, with shrewd drafting and personnel decisions.

I really don't want Toronto to be a laughing stock for the rest of the league (like right now) in 2017, with the attention of the centennial season (well the first 50 years were good), all-star game, and outdoor game. However the right decision must be made in the long term, if that means a weak roster (on paper) due to a needed rebuild then I will fully support and cheer on my team despite being laughed AT.

I would fairly argue that this organisation and fan base might gain some respect around the league if we took a step back and wholly embraced a draft rebuild style

I don't see many freaking out over what Buffalo has done , do you?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If you didn't have the privilege of making it to the Big House last year, I do feel for you - it was an unbelievable experience; once in a life time stuff, that won't be topped.

But I would urge you to make sure you get to this one - they are very cool, fun, and unique events.

The Dome makes sense as a venue as well - almost 50,000 people, and makes a lot more sense than BMO feel which never felt realistic despite the expansions.

And yes - buy All-Star tickets, and then sell them. Thank me later

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would think we'll get the draft as well. Imagine us drafting 1st Overall that year.

Will try to go to the all-star weekend and the draft. Not much desire to go to the Outdoor game. Tickets will be insane, and we won't be a good team.

Don't feel like paying a high price to sit out in the blistering cold, watching a bad team lose.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If you didn't have the privilege of making it to the Big House last year, I do feel for you - it was an unbelievable experience; once in a life time stuff, that won't be topped.

But I would urge you to make sure you get to this one - they are very cool, fun, and unique events.

The Dome makes sense as a venue as well - almost 50,000 people, and makes a lot more sense than BMO feel which never felt realistic despite the expansions.

And yes - buy All-Star tickets, and then sell them. Thank me later

heh. buy high, sell higher?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
my proposal for the Winter Classic in 2017, instead of playing the game at 1 pm like they usually do, play the game at night. Put the Dome lights on, have the big screen on with the CN Tower lit up. It would be an awesome spectacle.

Maybe the NHL/IIHF can make a deal where they mix in the WJHC to make it one huge event. Where January 1st you have Canada-USA during the day and at night Leafs-Habs. Just a thought

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad