Speculation: Maple Leafs Ticket Troubles

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
On the topic of tickets being ridiculously expensive, I’ve found that funny for a good 10+ years now. Do people only go if they sit platinum..? I go to a handful of games every season and never pay more than $100 per ticket. That’s off Kijiji and marketplace. Yeah beer is expensive but another $30 shouldn’t break the bank, and you couldn’t find a more ttc accessible venue if you tried.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team has neither been improving nor has it been regressing. I imagine that current circumstances beyond the team's fortunes on ice are affecting any ticket troubles as much as anything else.

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
If the team was successful, I could understand charging a lot. But the team hasn’t done jack for a while now. They’re lucky the city of Toronto is as large as it is, and as wealthy as it is.

Reactions: Blowfish

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Lotta better things to pay your money with That’s called living beyond your means even if the product on the ice was worth it still a big no Mapleleaf Gardens is way too greedy
There’s a lot of people that can, and do afford every game. I agree it sucks that there’s lots of people that can’t afford to go but it’s not MLSE’s fault. They’re definitely going to make as much as possible as most of us would imho

Reactions: Confucius

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the team was successful, I could understand charging a lot. But the team hasn’t done jack for a while now. They’re lucky the city of Toronto is as large as it is, and as wealthy as it is.
Prices are set based on what the market would bear. All cheap seats would do is put more money in the scalpers pockets.

Reactions: Confucius

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If people are really worried about ticket sales at the SBC, I'm open to assuming someone's season tickets. Hell, I'll even throw in a few hundred bucks as a finder's fee.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The Gardens was a great place to watch hockey.

The ACC is not.

But they're all like that: the Bell Centre is good, but the Forum was the best place ever!

I don't remember if the atmosphere was that much different at the Gardens, but the sightlines are definitely better at the ACC. There's no bad seat for a hockey game at the ACC (basketball is a different matter).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't remember if the atmosphere was that much different at the Gardens, but the sightlines are definitely better at the ACC. There's no bad seat for a hockey game at the ACC (basketball is a different matter).
Since it was built initially for basketball there are some obstructed views for hockey.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Mandates are an issue too. People have had enough of vaccine proofing, showing ID etc. Its' to invasive all the time everywhere you go. Its expensive, tons of people are financially hurt. Lots of reasons why ticket sales are down.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Toronto doesn't have ticket troubles there are about 25 teams that would kill for the Leafs "ticket troubles"

This is so true. Recently 1 or 2 journalists are sticking their necks out implying that there's some recent trend where games are not selling out. Well yeah. We are still in the middle of a pandemic. Fears of Covid 19 is real. Less accessive / money to blow on The Leafs might not be there this year, but so what? Most of the seats are sold and people are flying through their credit cards left, right, and center. The concessions still have long line ups.

I'm not entirely concerned, but I wish there was more interest / support for The Marlies in the GTA. Seeing a Marlies game is the best. So much bang for your buck! So much fun. Pro hockey at a fraction of the cost. You don't even need to stay in your assigned seat. The stadium is set up with a huge aisle on the upper level. You can walk around and enjoy the game from different angles.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I know it was asked, but not answered, are the Raptors experiencing the same situation?

Our corporate Raptors tickets are always answered for. Leafs tickets this year are not being taken. I'm getting games 'day of' because no one is claiming them. The last game I didn't even have to take a client. I took my wife and two friends.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You know what, if MLSE wants to charge luxury prices they should take it up with the league that they should have a luxury tax on the cap. Why is there cost certainty for owners and players but the paying audience in Toronto doesn’t have that consumer protection? We can pay those big ticket prices in this town but how about we don’t have a system that artificially caps us from re-signing our own guys and building a team that actually justifies price of admission? Maybe our entertainment dollars should be spent on the product and not random league projects.

Why is that Gary? Different context and different facts? Put another way. If your ambition is to build a league of 32 Milwaukee Brewers, don’t charge LA Dodger prices.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You know what, if MLSE wants to charge luxury prices they should take it up with the league that they should have a luxury tax on the cap. Why is there cost certainty for owners and players but the paying audience in Toronto doesn’t have that consumer protection? We can pay those big ticket prices in this town but how about we don’t have a system that artificially caps us from re-signing our own guys and building a team that actually justifies price of admission? Maybe our entertainment dollars should be spent on the product and not random league projects.

Why is that Gary? Different context and different facts?
"Stephen has formally requested to step down as a mod effective immediately..."

Well said, and daring as long as you are out of Gary's reach here.

These are the questions they don't want us to ask, or contemplate. House of cards......

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Seeing them honor Phanuef tonight reminds me of those dark days. Tickets were tough to unload back then, this doesn’t even come close.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm not sure who would have been our captain back then if it wasn't Dion. Not Kessel. He was talented but not a captain. Lupul, Bozak, JVR? Probably not. It sort of became a bigger problem when Burke labeled Dion "a horse".

I wish Dion well, but that was a dark era.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not sure who would have been our captain back then if it wasn't Dion. Not Kessel. He was talented but not a captain. Lupul, Bozak, JVR? Probably not. It sort of became a bigger problem when Burke labeled Dion "a horse".

I wish Dion well, but that was a dark era.

Bozak was too new, but would have been a good choice with more experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad