Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign G Joseph Woll to 3-year entry-level contract (will report to Leafs, not Marlies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's amazing to watch people on Twitter judge goaltending prospects based on their win ratio. Really thought that was a dying practice.

Happens here as well, unfortunately. Think it's important to look at 5v5 and 4v5 separately as well as tease out HDSv% and LDSv%.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
really like what Woll has done, and is easily our #1 goaltending prospect. Scott had a good season this season but years before were mediocre at best. Woll has had consistent performances pretty much every NCAA season. Woll is our next hope for a #1G, scott could become one of course but Woll is more likely.

One thing is for sure, if we can run Woll and Scott tandem in 3 or 4 years (assuming one is a bonafide #1) it would be a hell of a coup for our scouting department.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is so hard to tell with goalies but this kid is a winner. As a kid he took a 1 line St Louis jr blues teams to a few championship spring finals against loaded allstar Toronto teams who were much better overall teams than his team. There was 1 game I saw where he stoned Marner on many successive breakaways to win a game 1-0 when Keller scored the OT winner. The game was a complete mismatch of the worst kind but his team won. The shots were like 100 to 10. It is still talked about amoungst the 97 dads to this day. So the kid has it in him to win games where his team has no business being in. I like that characteristic in a kid and it is why I am high on him.

Reactions: The Blueprint

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's amazing to watch people on Twitter judge goaltending prospects based on their win ratio. Really thought that was a dying practice.

It is amazing to judge players in college period. I doubt anyone here has watched any Boston College games.

All I know about Woll is what I see on HockeyDB and a couple of games that he played for USA. He looked good in those and has potential but goalies are weird so you never know.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Very happy that we have some goaltending depth coming through the system. Woll and Scott look like very solid prospects. Hope they have success at the AHL level.

Reactions: leafsrule123

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wonder if burning a year of ELC was a GM promise that factored into this?

Its a team benefit to get 3 year ELC and a player benefit to burn the 1st one off for signing his deal now as opposed to the off season, when it prevents him from helping your AHL team.

Reactions: Buds17

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
sparks back to the AHL ??? Thank god

This signing won't change the rotation of Sparks & Andersen playing.

The 3rd option would be Hutchinson.

I can't think of the last time a college goaltender signed a pro contract & then played that same season. Not to say it hasn't happened, but my guess is it's a lot more rare than a forward/dman.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs are going to have a few meaningless games near the end of this season once they win a few more games. They could start Woll at least once, maybe more.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Wonder if burning a year of ELC was a GM promise that factored into this?

Its a team benefit to get 3 year ELC and a player benefit to burn the 1st one off for signing his deal now as opposed to the off season, when it prevents him from helping your AHL team.

Not just burning off the 1st year also getting some NHL pay for 3 weeks and a signing bonus in March 2019 then another one in the summer of 2019. That's about $230K compared to $80K.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How will Woll even burn a year? We only have 7 games remaining, and he needs to dress for 10 games to burn a year, no?

And if he doesn't report until later this week, that only leaves about 5 games.

So his he going to dress as the backup for playoff games too?

Or does it work differently for goalies, in which they don't actually need to dress?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
How will Woll even burn a year? We only have 7 games remaining, and he needs to dress for 10 games to burn a year, no?

His age. By dating the contract for this season at age 21 he'll burn a year of the contract regardless of GP. Don't believe it will count to UFA or waivers though

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This signing won't change the rotation of Sparks & Andersen playing.

The 3rd option would be Hutchinson.

I can't think of the last time a college goaltender signed a pro contract & then played that same season. Not to say it hasn't happened, but my guess is it's a lot more rare than a forward/dman.

Matt O'Connor is the first one that comes to mind

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Woll is the real deal, I'd rather have him on 2 years of ELC and an RFA deal signed at 23 rather than 3 years ELC and an RFA deal signed with more experience at 24.

Imagine if we played Marner for 10 games in his first year and he was up for RFA last summer instead of this summer. The savings would be way bigger than one extra season of ELC play.

Reactions: Growler and nick942

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

And if he doesn't report until later this week, that only leaves about 5 games.

So his he going to dress as the backup for playoff games too?

Or does it work differently for goalies, in which they don't actually need to dress?

You can only slide an ELC when the player is 18 or 19. He's 20 (technically 21 for contract purposes, because that's how old he'll be by Sep. 15). So he'll burn an ELC year every year regardless.

He won't be playing anywhere. He'll get his signing bonus and a few NHL paycheques while he finishes up his school year. Him not being eligible to go the AHL is also a bonus for the Seattle draft. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe that because of his age a single AHL game would count as a pro year for the purposes of the draft.

Reactions: Growler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad