Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Nikita Zaitsev for 7 years, $4.5M per

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Let's not sugar coat things... he wasn't great this year. But he wasn't awful either. Seems like injury, flu, baby, no PP time, are the biggest factors.

I expect him to be a lot better next year. Obviously still a bit nervous about the contract because it's still a gamble... but I'm optimistic.

Reactions: Lauro

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Let's not sugar coat things... he wasn't great this year. But he wasn't awful either. Seems like injury, flu, baby, no PP time, are the biggest factors.

I expect him to be a lot better next year. Obviously still a bit nervous about the contract because it's still a gamble... but I'm optimistic.
Yeah, he wasn’t able to find his rhythm and his missed time had him playing catch-up all year... he was actually very good in games 4-7 against Boston.

I’m still relatively confident he’s a top 4 d man and the 4.5m will be good number for him.

Reactions: carko32

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You're not going to go far in your GM role if you don't take analytics into account.

Don't need to. I watch games and my record speaks for itself. As evident by...this thread.

Notice how many people had walls of text defending the signing. Today they look silly and I said one word and look like a genius.

Guys like me and Grapes are in arenas watching games, we know what's what.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Don't need to. I watch games and my record speaks for itself. As evident by...this thread.

Notice how many people had walls of text defending the signing. Today they look silly and I said one word and look like a genius.

When can you sign? Actually, maybe you should replace Cherry.

I'll try to remember your record that speaks for itself in the future when it may become important...somewhere.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

ahuh.
so if he has a good year next year will you quote this post and go "oops,i was silly?"

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Which is why the deal was scary. We committed seven years based on one year that wasn't even that great, but the analytics crowd was fooled by it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
lol no it does not.
the question was. if and/or when Zaitzev has a good year, will you say you were wrong?

answer: no. which doens't surprise me.

If I'm ever wrong about anything hockey related, I'll be happy to admit it. If for no other reason than to change things up a little.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Potentially Lou’s biggest mistake as GM.

Hoping he can rebound this season, Babcock still seems high on him. He always looks great on international ice.

Edit: also funny enough, I’d say a fair number (as in the majority) of he Leafs analytics writers also weren’t fans of the contract

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Potentially Lou’s biggest mistake as GM.

Hoping he can rebound this season, Babcock still seems high on him. He always looks great on international ice.

Edit: also funny enough, I’d say a fair number (as in the majority) of he Leafs analytics writers also weren’t fans of the contract

honestly. it's not that bad of a contract. all of this handwringing over nothing, if you ask me.
the guy had a concussion to end the year (which can mess you up for a spell). he had a baby, he wasn't feeling good coming into camp, and he never had his footing. then he breaks his foot, gets the flu lost a bucket full of weight. he had a bad year. that doesn't mean he's bad.

if it does turn out to be bad, the leafs will bury it and/or he'llgo to russia and it's all ignored. poof.
ifit doesn't (which i feel it is not). you have a serviceable guy who can move up/down the line up with a manageable hit. it's not as drama as people are making it out to be.

Reactions: Elephanto

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
This guy is worth the money right now, and if he ever isn't worth the money he can be sent to the minors which will probably encourage him to go back to the KHL and get off the cap. He is part of the solution right now, Cherry be damned. He's not a problem.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This guy is worth the money right now, and if he ever isn't worth the money he can be sent to the minors which will probably encourage him to go back to the KHL and get off the cap. He is part of the solution right now, Cherry be damned. He's not a problem.

He is an NHL quality D man, he just didn't earn a 7 year deal. That should be reserved for upper tier guys, which thus far he has not proven he is.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The silver lining is that there is not a NMC/NTC type clause (I can’t remember specifally what he has) until next summer, so he can still be moved a bit easier between now and next year if he struggles again.

Let’s hope he rebounds next season. Just need him to be a solid #4

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
He’s always been a two way dman known for his offensive skills. Babcock primarily put hm in a shut down roll and he struggled with it this year, all those injuries didn’t help either. I think he bounces back in a big way next year, just call it a hunch.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think there's a lot of hindsight discussions here. Based on his first season with TOR he did deserve a contract. No one can say he didn't deserve it. If you are arguing that it's too long then that because he's coming off a bad season. We can't look ahead and say that he'll always have bad seasons. TOR wouldn't sign anyone if they thought there was nothing but risky bad players out there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think there's a lot of hindsight discussions here. Based on his first season with TOR he did deserve a contract. No one can say he didn't deserve it. If you are arguing that it's too long then that because he's coming off a bad season. We can't look ahead and say that he'll always have bad seasons. TOR wouldn't sign anyone if they thought there was nothing but risky bad players out there.

He definitely earned a contract.

But one good season isn’t necessarily proof that a guy earned 7 year commitment. Especially considering a lot of his offense was from the PP.

I hope he rebounds, but he’s going to need to be a clear top four guy to earn a 4+ million dollar AAV.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
the 7 year commitment wasn't what "he earned", it was a gamble on our part to get #2/3 performance out of him while locking him down to what will likely be a #4dman price (contract average). We have no idea if that gamble was a good one yet, too easy to lose perspective at the peaks and valleys, let's wait before we judge. I will say that he doesn't have to be nearly as good as most think he does to earn that contract over it's life, assuming the cap inflation continues at it's current pace

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He definitely earned a contract.

But one good season isn’t necessarily proof that a guy earned 7 year commitment. Especially considering a lot of his offense was from the PP.

I hope he rebounds, but he’s going to need to be a clear top four guy to earn a 4+ million dollar AAV.

Perhaps he could eventually reclaim a spot on the PP if Gardiner isn't going to be re-signed? Would also depend on the rest of our blueline personnel. I think Zaitsev and Hainsey were looked at to PK and be the more defensive minded sides of their respective ES pairings to allow the offensive abilities of Gardiner and Rielly to flourish.

Hope Zaitsev can be fully healthy next season too, as he was for his rookie season.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Zaitsev will prove to be a bargain next season and beyond. He is the perfect long term partner for Dermott moving forward. Have you watched Orlov in Washington this playoffs? This is the type of dman Zaitsev will turnout to be. He has some tough injuries this season and personal things he was going through. But in the series against Boston, it was debatable that he was probably the best dman we had out there.

He will be fine. One season doesn't make a career! Relax people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad