Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Calvin Pickard to 1 year $800k contract

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's a RFA and wherever he went, he'd get a contract like this one. No point in not signing as far as he's concerned.
he has a low chance of making the team. he could have had a better chance with a different club

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This contract was more of a formality. I'd be shocked if at least 1, if not 2 of McBackup, Sparks & Pickard were moved this summer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This contract was more of a formality. I'd be shocked if at least 1, if not 2 of McBackup, Sparks & Pickard were moved this summer.

One for sure. I think they'll take their chance with Sparks and Pickard going through waivers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He was a RFA... so he didn't exactly have many options.

Leafs will give him a shot against Sparks in training camp. McBackup will be likely traded.
Seems rather obvious.

That or Benning demanded he and Carrick be signed before completing the Tanev trade?

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Do they leafs have to wait a certain amount of time before they can trade w Lou and the islanders?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I loathe Scott Wheeler. He talks out of his ass so much. In terms of prospects/drafts, there's posters here I trust more than the guy. Not to mention he takes his own opinion as the be all, end all. None of his writing is that great either.

I regularly listen to the SDP podcast (I don't really watch Dangle's LFR's, but I find the podcasts to be excellent most of the time), and I was actually excited for the new podcast because I had time to kill, and I couldn't do it.

While I applaud the kid's ambition and how far he's taken himself- he's done absolutely nothing to demonstrate why anyone should take his opinion more seriously than the myriad of hyper opinionated fans on facebook that can't skate, or any random undergrad hockey fan across this country.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
he could neglect to negotiate a contract extension, which would probably force the leafs to not qualify him.
He could but he really has a limited sample size to work from. Even Sparks was the AHL goalie they ran with over him.
I’d rather be making 800K and playing while waiting for a trade instead of sitting and making nothing.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
All backup candidates now signed for one season at similar enough cap hits, with only Sparks not being a UFA at the end of the contract. Interested to see how things will unfold, perhaps prior to, and definitely during, camp.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He could but he really has a limited sample size to work from. Even Sparks was the AHL goalie they ran with over him.
I’d rather be making 800K and playing while waiting for a trade instead of sitting and making nothing.
i think he'd get an offer from a few nhl teams.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Yeah, he called him "weird". I found it a bit strange.

Anything more specific than that?

I mean I know about the internet tough guy thing a year or two ago, but going way back Sparks used to be active on facebook hockey gear groups and seemed relatively normal.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Anything more specific than that?

I mean I know about the internet tough guy thing a year or two ago, but going way back Sparks used to be active on facebook hockey gear groups and seemed relatively normal.

I think it's more of he's not the type of guy who agrees with "hockey culture" and goes with the flow of things, like Subban etc...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This might be a long shot but assuming Pickard is not traded before training camp starts in September, what are the odds of him having a great preseason and becoming the #2 Goalie behind Andersen? Hasn't Babcock said the best players should make the team, so why should the back-up Goalie position be any different?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He had a $1M dollar contract so the Leafs needed to give him $1M or more to qualify him as an RFA, he actually took a paycut to stay here.

leafs actually are supposed to qualify @ 10% raise in pay so it should of been $1.1M, so he is either happy being 4th choice goalie or one of sparks/McElhinney is gone

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Very interesting, Scott Wheeler from The Athletic was speculating on the Steve dangle podcast that sparks might be in play because he’s got an odd personality that might be hard to mesh with Babcock. I personally would deal Mac but who knows...

All goalies have weird personalities. Wouldn't you too having 100mph slapshots targeted at you!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
leafs actually are supposed to qualify @ 10% raise in pay so it should of been $1.1M, so he is either happy being 4th choice goalie or one of sparks/McElhinney is gone
he's happy getting 800k guaranteed whether he plays in the NHL or AHL , chances are the best he could have done if he decided not to sign and we let him go instead of qualifying him was a 2 year deal or maybe just a pto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad