Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Ben Smith for 1 year, $650K

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hmm he took a 25000 pay cut... you think his agent would've at least got him a raise knowing the situation Toronto is in ;)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Makes no sense to protect Martin considering I can't think of any plausible scenario where Vegas takes him and his contract. His contract is protection enough.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Makes no sense to protect Martin considering I can't think of any plausible scenario where Vegas takes him and his contract. His contract is protection enough.

i asked that
they someone said that they could take him and trade him to another team that wouldn't mind him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Something else to keep in mind, is that management might plan on making a trade prior to expansion

Yeah.

It's a contract spot for one year in return for flexibility and insurance regarding the expansion. Depending on how things shape up, it's either a necessary move or a non-issue.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Hmm he took a 25000 pay cut... you think his agent would've at least got him a raise knowing the situation Toronto is in ;)
We truly have a big plan for this guy for the next season. We truly like his chances and what he brings. He wont' be that succesful though, we have seen what the guy can do. He is too small, doesn't bring that hit hard game, wins some faceoffs and can play cool D. But that ain't enough for us anymore. We're too good to be true.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
They're actually going to protect Martin. Why in the world would Vegas ever pick him over one of Rychel or Leipsic? It would never happen. Now we're giving them their choice of the two instead of ours.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
and honestly, I doubt if we lost one (or all 3), it's going to significantly impact the Leafs moving forward anyway.

Agree. Could be good players at the NHL level, but we're hopefully becoming a good team with options in our own right.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

He gets 650K whether he's with the big club or the Marlies. His last deal paid him 150K if he was with the Marlies.

His agent deserves a nice bonus as he's likely in the AHL most of next year.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
By my count Toronto has 42 contracts, plus the rumored Rosen contract. Still in great position. need a #2 goalie and nice to have #4 defenseman.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I agree with those who argue that Martin should be the second player exposed. I'm not totally adverse to having him in the lineup everyday, although it becomes harder to justify with Leivo and Sosh in the press box... but I get it. I get what he brings to the team and while he had a really rough season offensively (as in, Colton Orr rough), it was the first time in his career he didn't reach double digits in points. We should see some rebound next year. At the same time, his big contract may have dissuaded Vegas taking him in the first place. Worst case scenario, he gets claimed and the Leafs get out from under that contract.

Either way though, we're sort of in a Minnesota-like position where even if we protect one of Leivo/Rychel/Leipsic, the other two will be exposed. Not protecting Martin doesn't change that. Correct me if I'm wrong but all 3 need to go through waivers next year too? Provided he doesn't play, the cost of signing Smith is just one contract spot and who knows? Maybe Vegas claims Fehr (McPhee being his former GM in Washington), another team claims Smith off waivers early next season like we did, and all this all hand-wringing is for naught.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
As a life long Leaf fan, the Habs could sign me to league minimum and I'll try to step on the ice and take any Leaf they want out of hockey permanently. Hey I could use the money. And what's going to stop me? Oh... Matt Martin is. Not only don't I want any part of that, if I take out Matthew's knee... Martin might do the same to our players ...and that's something the Habs don't want. Maybe the Habs rethink their goon strategy. The Capitals might of played tough, but didn't play dirty against the Leafs. Now against the Penguins, they're take liberates. This whole fantasy land some fans have to think there's isn't players out there willing to scoop out Mitch Marner's eye and bat it into the stands is hilarious.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They're actually going to protect Martin. Why in the world would Vegas ever pick him over one of Rychel or Leipsic? It would never happen. Now we're giving them their choice of the two instead of ours.
We're all just guessing though. How do we actually know they don't take Martin and then trade him to a team that wants him? Obviously Martin is a wanted commodity. The Leafs wanted him, Babcock wants him, and frankly if this management group and a really good head coach likes a guy....there are probably others in the NHL who agree with them. Vegas is not just taking all these guys to use them on their starting lineup.

Guys like Rychel or Leipsic are going to be guys the Leafs will have to make decisions on. Some guys exposed are going to end up on waivers which means if Vegas or anyone else wants them...they'll have a shot. At the very least some of those guys aren't in the Leafs plans while Martin clearly is.

I didn't particularly care for the Marin signing (thought it was fine, but not hugely important). But I'm not going to pretend the Leafs don't want this guy on the roster or that other teams might try to use the expansion draft to get him.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
As a life long Leaf fan, the Habs could sign me to league minimum and I'll try to step on the ice and take any Leaf they want out of hockey permanently. Hey I could use the money. And what's going to stop me? Oh... Matt Martin is. Not only don't I want any part of that, if I take out Matthew's knee... Martin might do the same to our players ...and that's something the Habs don't want. Maybe the Habs rethink their goon strategy. The Capitals might of played tough, but didn't play dirty against the Leafs. Now against the Penguins, they're take liberates. This whole fantasy land some fans have to think there's isn't players out there willing to scoop out Mitch Marner's eye and bat it into the stands is hilarious.

Lol I enjoyed this post

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
We're all just guessing though. How do we actually know they don't take Martin and then trade him to a team that wants him? Obviously Martin is a wanted commodity. The Leafs wanted him, Babcock wants him, and frankly if this management group and a really good head coach likes a guy....there are probably others in the NHL who agree with them. Vegas is not just taking all these guys to use them on their starting lineup.

Guys like Rychel or Leipsic are going to be guys the Leafs will have to make decisions on. Some guys exposed are going to end up on waivers which means if Vegas or anyone else wants them...they'll have a shot. At the very least some of those guys aren't in the Leafs plans while Martin clearly is.

I didn't particularly care for the Marin signing (thought it was fine, but not hugely important). But I'm not going to pretend the Leafs don't want this guy on the roster or that other teams might try to use the expansion draft to get him.
Teams can protect their entire top six forwards plus one extra. Teams can only protect three of their top four defencemen. Vegas is going to be pretty stacked on D and incredibly weak up front. For this reason, why would Vegas draft a guy who is a fourth liner when their forwards are going to be primarily third liners and and second line tween types? They will have a surplus of defencemen, which they will trade for forward help. In the meantime, they can take a promising player from the Leafs. So instead of the Leafs taking one of Rychel and Leipsic for themselves, they're essentially letting Vegas pick whichever one they want.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
People are forgetting this clause in the draft rules...
"The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap."

To reach at least 60% of the Cap, Vegas cannot just draft cheap young prospects. Martin's contract would not keep them from taking him. I think he would very likely be taken, if exposed. I am reasonably certain that the Leafs would not want to risk that. Evidence? This signing, for one thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad